VERY BRIGHT! P91 + VG F2 head & FB2 body + 2xR123's

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Got a P91 in the mail today...Dropped it into my F2 light aka Vital Gear F2 head with an FB2 body (or I could have used the F2 head on my L4 body). Add 2 unprotected R123's...and just one word is required...

DAMN!

To give you an idea of just how bright the light is now...
If I aim the beam at my hand, with the flashlight held 12" away...My hand gets HOT within seconds. Not just lukewarm, as you might get from any very bright incandescent! I mean to tell you...this sucker is bright! Even with its seriously bright spot, the spill even beats my KL4 for flood...and that's saying something!! At only 4 7/8" in length, the F2 loaded with a P91 has got to be one of the more powerful lights around for its size...or any size for that matter.
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/vitalgear.php

:devil:

BTW-My thanks to Seattlite for the P91 idea! :rock:

Last edited:

FredM

Enlightened
Yeah its a good idea. But why do you like the F2 over a good surefire light like the Z2?

The Z2 is actually cheaper.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh, the P91 on R123 is notoriously dangerous to run, since it approaches the 2.6 volt lower bound very quickly under the current draw and you have to chance it one you have been using it for a while. It's fun to build and test but you'll be better served by some pilas in a C3.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
And make that REAL Pilas (or Wolf Eyes), because according to my tests, the following AW protected cells won't power a P91, even with double-clicking:

Maybe AW's 18500 cells would work, but I don't know of any body that can take two of those AND a P91.

I have a pair of Wolf Eyes 150B cells on order, specifically to try with my P91. I've been searching for a 2x150 incandescent that's 175+ lumens and casts a very wide flood. I'm planning to try Surefire's Z14 and Z34 beamshapers on my 1.25-inch and 41-42mm bezels to achieve that effect with a RICO Alpha 9 lamp and Streamlight TL-3.

E

Emilion

I don't have a P91, but my protected 16340 works with N2, MN10, P90, and a 12V 200+ Lumens G12.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emilion said:
I don't have a P91, but my protected 16340 works with N2, MN10, P90, and a 12V 200+ Lumens G12.

Wow, that's good to know about your 200 lumen G12. I couldn't get AW's protected RCR123A cells to work in G&P's 227-lumen high-pressure-xenon version of the G12. Maybe the regular version draws a bit less current. I'll have to try it.

By the way, Emillion: That Kaman 3W LED flashlight that you sent July 17? It finally arrived October 6! It included the Customs form; maybe it was held up or lost in customs. (If I owe you $8 for your credit, let me know by PM; I can't recall whether I've used your credit on my last purchase.)

E

Emilion

Paul_in_Maryland said:
Wow, that's good to know about your 200 lumen G12. I couldn't get AW's protected RCR123A cells to work in G&P's 227-lumen high-pressure-xenon version of the G12. Maybe the regular version draws a bit less current. I'll have to try it.

By the way, Emillion: That Kaman 3W LED flashlight that you sent July 17? It finally arrived October 6! It included the Customs form; maybe it was held up or lost in customs. (If I owe you $8 for your credit, let me know by PM; I can't recall whether I've used your credit on my last purchase.)
Forget it.... man, I don't want to dig into the ledger, doing so is a pain worths more than $8....

.......................nearly 3 months........

Last edited by a moderator:

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
But why do you like the F2 over a good surefire light like the Z2?

The Z2 is actually cheaper.
For starters, I much prefer the F2's form factor. According to Surefire's specs, the Z2 is 5.1", while th F2 is 4.89"...the F2's body has got a smaller O.D. and it's better-looking (IMHO). As for the Z2 being cheaper, it retails for $90, while the F2 retails for $65.

Eh, the P91 on R123 is notoriously dangerous to run, since it approaches the 2.6 volt lower bound very quickly under the current draw and you have to chance it one you have been using it for a while.
Oooops my bad. I meant to say CR123's. The unprotected CR123's at no load are approx. 4.2 volts each, and at load, at least 3.7 volts...times two and that gives me at least 7.4 volts. When putting this together in my own (naive about electronics) way, I was led to believe that the P91 would only work with the unprotected cells. That's specifically why when I purchased the F2 from Lighthound I also bought unprotected, rechargeable, 800 mAh 123's (and a charger) from him as well (I was told that they probably aren't 800 mAh, but as long as they're working I have no complaints). I haven't tried my protected R123's from (Battery Station)...and don't plan on trying. This is working great the way it is and if it ain't broke I don't see any need to fix it.

Last edited:

FredM

Enlightened
Z2 is $66.45 shipped from Optics HQ.

Also you had it right originally; R123 is what Rechargeable 123s are commonly called and CR123 are the nornal Lithium 123 cells.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Osprey_guy,

I think you misunderstood what 270winchester was saying.

If you use UNprotected Li-Ion cells you risk depleting then to the point where it is no longer possible to recharge them, and that of course mean they are ruined. Instead you should use protected cells so the built in circuit cuts off the current before the voltage gets to low. But then there is the problem of finding protected cells that will accept the current draw of the P91. I'm unsure if any of them is capable of this.

Jan

Last edited:

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Ahhh, I understand. I've been more than a little confused over the whole protected/unprotected thing. I did know about the issue of depleting the unprotected cells. When I get dressed in the morning I now toss a spare pair of fully charged, unprotected R123's in my pocket, and when I think I've put enough time on the P91/F2 I don't hesitate to swap out for the fresh cells.

That aside, Lighthound sells the unprotected R123's for only $3.99...
So it's no big deal if I should have to replace a cell every now and then.
See bottom of this page: http://www.lighthound.com/sales/r123_lithium_battery_charger.php

Also you had it right originally; R123 is what Rechargeable 123s are commonly called and CR123 are the nornal Lithium 123 cells.
Geesh...I've actually corrected others recently on the same mistake, and now I'm the one who goes and gets the two mixed up. :banghead:

Last edited:

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
Osprey Guy, this is a setup that I have been using too, and I agree with you, it is massively bright and has great form factor! :D Approx 10 mins of pocket sized 200 lumens, what could be better!

199138.jpg

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update on my 12V G&P lamp high-pressure xenon (220-lumen) lamp assembly:

I just tried it with three of AW's protected 17500 cells. Its beam is just what I've been wanting: 20 percent wider than a Wolf Eyes "wall of light", and noticeably brighter and whiter. I had been about to order a Surefire FM34 beamshaper, but this beam is already so wide, there's no need.

Unfortunately, the lamp shut off after about 10 minutes. I suspect that the cells became too warm, but I'm hoping that two of them (stolen from my TL-3) were simply in need of a charge. When they've recharged, I'll test this combo again. I'll also test the lamp with three Wolf Eyes/Pila 150S cells when I receive them.

A P91 vs. G12 shootout would be interesting.

AlanP

Newly Enlightened
stuartyr said:
Osprey Guy, this is a setup that I have been using too, and I agree with you, it is massively bright and has great form factor! :D Approx 10 mins of pocket sized 200 lumens, what could be better!

stuartyr -

Can you just clarify what that head is on the L4 body? 200 lumens for 10 mins? I WANT ONE!

seattlite

Enlightened
AlanP said:
stuartyr -

Can you just clarify what that head is on the L4 body? 200 lumens for 10 mins? I WANT ONE!
Its an Vital Gear L2 head. The VG F2 is comprised of the VG FB2, and a head assembly:

vg1.jpg

vg2.jpg

F2_disassembled.jpg

VF_FB1.jpg

Last edited:

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Not to correct my buddy Seattlite, but actually it's the F2 head (not the L2...I'm sure that was a typo). Here's where you can buy the head, the flashlight, or any of the other VG parts:http://www.lighthound.com/sales/vitalgear.php

For only $22 bucks, the head is a great buy. Works with any of the E-series bodies without the need for an extension. In addition to using it with the rest of the F2 flashlight (the FB2 body), I've also used it with my L4 body. In fact I just purchased a 2nd F2 head so that I don't have to "share" it with the FB2 body. ;)

Last edited:

seattlite

Enlightened
Osprey_Guy said:
Not to correct my buddy Seattlite, but actually it's the F2 head (not the L2...I'm sure that was a typo). Here's where you can buy the head, the flashlight, or any of the other VG parts:http://www.lighthound.com/sales/vitalgear.php

For only $22 bucks, the head is a great buy. Works with any of the E-series bodies without the need for an extension. In addition to using it with the rest of the F2 flashlight (the FB2 body), I've also used it with my L4 body. In fact I just purchased a 2nd F2 head so that I don't have to "share" it with the FB2 body. ;)

Thanks Dennis. That was a typo. :eek:

I didn't know that you could just buy the F2 head....COOL!

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Osprey_Guy said:
Ahhh, I understand. I've been more than a little confused over the whole protected/unprotected thing. I did know about the issue of depleting the unprotected cells. When I get dressed in the morning I now toss a spare pair of fully charged, unprotected R123's in my pocket, and when I think I've put enough time on the P91/F2 I don't hesitate to swap out for the fresh cells.

That aside, Lighthound sells the unprotected R123's for only $3.99...
So it's no big deal if I should have to replace a cell every now and then.
See bottom of this page: http://www.lighthound.com/sales/r123_lithium_battery_charger.php

Geesh...I've actually corrected others recently on the same mistake, and now I'm the one who goes and gets the two mixed up. :banghead:

Is everything still running ok with this setup?

I've been reading up on unprotected cells in series and it's not just about the batteries going dead; if one of the cells depletes first past a certain point, the other cell will reverse charge or something and this may cause venting/flames.

I've already ordered a whole bunch of unprot batts but am now a little apprehensive about using 'em. Maybe I'll have to keep checking their voltages to be sure.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Still going great! It's one of my top 2 "showing off" lights...my Raw is the other one (although my KL4/FB1 combo always makes quite an impression as well).* Whenever I want to wow some folks, I lead off with the Raw (that always gets their attention fast), and after I put that back into its "lipstick" case and into my pocket, I then instruct them to hold out their hand. They first give me a quizical look but then out of curiosity, they always do as they were told...

From about 10" away I aim the P91/F2 at the top of their outstretched hand...Even in a well-lit room, it immediately makes an almost blinding, bright spot on their skin and they are always quick to exclaim, "Wow, I can feel the heat!" And then aiming the light at a far wall I show them how, even with all the overhead lights on, it'll still visably light up a sizeable area on the wall (regardless of how far away the wall might be).

:twothumbs

*For what it's worth, my primary EDC is definitely my PD. Although it doesn't have the immediate wow factor of the aforementioned lights, it is easily the most useful light I own. It's not too big, not too small, and easy to use. The "Low" setting is just right for so many of my everyday tasks, and the "High" setting packs plenty of punch...as bright as I would ever need for most applications.

I'm currently putting my newly acquired VIP and Jil 1.3 (up) through their paces...They're all great lights...but in terms of extreme brightness out of a relatively small form factor, at only 4.9" the P91/F2 easily holds that top spot.