looking for a new light for hunting

PSEsilverhawk

Newly Enlightened
hey yall im new here and thought yall might be able to help me,,,,

i am looking to get a new light some time soon for hunting,,,
manly for tracking deer,,,the light need to be bright, long lasting,and very durable and depedable,,,it doesnt matter if it is rechargable or not but would prefer it to be,,and i would like it to be adjustable from spot to flood,, and it would have to be kinda cheap as i wont have much to spend any help would be apprectiated

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
PSEsilverhawk said:

manly for tracking deer,,,the light need to be bright, long lasting,and very durable and depedable,,,it doesnt matter if it is rechargable or not but would prefer it to be,,and i would like it to be adjustable from spot to flood,, and it would have to be kinda cheap as i wont have much to spend any help would be apprectiated
I modified a 4D mag with a 3 watt LED for my brother in law and he uses his to track deer with.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
PSEsilverhawk said:
manly for tracking deer

Welcome to the light side!!

How bout a SF A2 with blue leds??? A surefire A2 has leds an an ican bulb also, blue leds supposedly are good for tracking blood trails, then when you want a bright light, you have your ican, good size to nice and small, nice clip too so it wont fall out of your pocket. The only bummer is it is over $150....

img04481io.jpg

-PSM

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A stock Magcharger or Streamlight SL20X might do the trick for you. How long do you need the light to run for between charges? The two lights I mentioned can be recharged in a vehicle.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Changchung said:
Sorry... Hi my friend....
The best way would be to buy a heat sink from hotbeam or flashlightlens.com. This one pictured below is the flashlight lens version.

You would also need some Artic silver to mount the LED to the heat sink. You can buy this online or at a computer store. You can see more about the mods here.
http://kevin.htgk.org/oad4cookbook.php

randman

Banned
Hopefully I am going to use a SF A2 with white leds. I'm getting the blue filter to slide over the lens in hopes it will help tracking blood. Carry an extra set of batteries and you're set. Lightweight. It throws a perfect beam for walking trails. The long clip on it kicks butt too. Can I tell you how many lights I have lost in the woods?

I find when following a blood trail in the dark you need a lot of light to see the blood drops when the ground is covered in leaves. Especially if there is not much of a trail (ie you made a good hit, but hit bone also). That is why I say a surefire. The a2 is perfect with LEDs for walking to your spot early with enough light to see clearly, but not spook everything away.

PSEsilverhawk

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn

How long do you need the light to run for between charges?

at 2or3 hours would be sufficient,,

as for deer seeing blue light i do think that they can,,as for trackin i have heard that it only makes blood apear black in the light,,,,

as for the surefire flash light they are a little over my buget,,,but i wish i could afford one cause they are neat,,,but the batteries are allso pretty expensie,,,,

anybody else have any ideas???

JimM

Newly Enlightened
PSEsilverhawk said:

In deer season, I've used a Princeton Tech Aurora headlamp, and a Princeton Tech Attitude led light with complete satisfaction. I like the headlamp, and make sure I carry the lights in separate pockets of my gear to minimize the risk of leaving one behind accidentally. Both lights use AAA batteries and provide long runtime. If you want to use AA batteries, the PT Tec 40 is hard to beat. I substitute lithium batteries for alkalines when I'm carrying it in the woods to reduce weight and give me some extra run time. The PT Tec 40 is a much brighter light with 3-5 hours of runtime, waterproof and reasonably priced.
Jim