• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SF E2L UX1N, FLuPIC, Reflector MOD! (PICs!)

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, I'd like to thank tvodrd for opening up a KL1 head and providing me with a reflector as I hate the optics!

I got the head from him and right away, desoldered the board and yanked out the led.

I put my FLuPIC board inside with a diode to drop 0.4V and a UX1N emitter inside so it will work well with the 6-0.4V input voltage of 2 x CR123s.

The results have yet to be compared (when night falls)

I don't have lux meters or anything like that but I get the following current readings from my fluke meter:

Low (3/20) - 70ma
High (15/20) - 500ma
BURST (2 x TPS73601) - 1.4A

I can tell this is going to be a screamer already!!

Last edited:

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF E2L UX1N, FLuPIC, Reflector MOD! Pics to follow!

How did he get access to the emitter and optics?! So far (unless I've missed something) people have only been able to open these heads enough to get access to the converter.

Jon

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

:thinking:

Why is this in B/S/T?

mateen

Enlightened

Low (3/20) - 70mA
High (15/20) - 500mA
Burst (2xTPS73601) - 1.4A

I take it this is the LED drive level? If I use a UX1L and 2xCR123, will the figures be about the same? I am shooting for a high of 1A, but it looks like I'm going to be either under or over...

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

mateen said:
Low (3/20) - 70mA
High (15/20) - 500mA
Burst (2xTPS73601) - 1.4A

I take it this is the LED drive level? If I use a UX1L and 2xCR123, will the figures be about the same? I am shooting for a high of 1A, but it looks like I'm going to be either under or over...

You will get around 1A drive level on burst but you won't get as high as 1.4A because I have my FLuPIC configured to use 2 x TPS73601 LDO regulators insteaded of 1 x 73601 and 1 x 73201 like I do for most of my boards...

I should also note that i'm doing my measurements from the battery and not the led. The drive current will be slightly lower but not much...

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pictures as mentioned:

I need to clean that lense =P

Last edited:

mateen

Enlightened

Ah, I see. Right now I'm using the low>burst>strobe>()>change sequence and hoping for 1A on burst. So it looks like it'll work just right! Thanks for the info, and good looking mod!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. For this mod, I was looking for usability. With 2 x CR123s I can get them anywhere and runtime will be one long one! =P

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
The N VF was the highest VF. Since i'm using 2 x CR123 = 6V, i did not want the LDO regulators to work as hard. They work best when the voltage drop is not significant because the power dissapaited will overheat the ldo regulators and cause them to shut down.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotcha, that makes sense.

Cool mod, I'm thinking about doing something very similar but with a "UYOK" and 17670 Li-Ion cell.

Jon

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest, my Fenix TYOH is brighter than this SF mod but any case, the 2 x CR123 will last forever in low and high modes.

Good luck on your mod!

mateen

Enlightened
Got my UX1L installed today. I measured the current draw from the tailcap and got the following:
Low (1/20) 10mA
Burst 1.13A
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I must be getting a good deal more current to the LED than my goal of 1A at burst, right?
I figure 1.13A @ 6Vin = 6.8W.
Assuming around 80% efficiency, 5.4W to the LED, 4Vf (L-bin) at 1.35A drive? Yikes - I'm gonna burn this thing out!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im getting 1.4A from the tail cap and got te diodes burnt. A slight overlook =P

The diodes sustain 1.1A so now i've replaced my board and used two diodes in parallel. Still testing!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
mateen said:
Got my UX1L installed today. I measured the current draw from the tailcap and got the following:
Low (1/20) 10mA
Burst 1.13A
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I must be getting a good deal more current to the LED than my goal of 1A at burst, right?
I figure 1.13A @ 6Vin = 6.8W.
Assuming around 80% efficiency, 5.4W to the LED, 4Vf (L-bin) at 1.35A drive? Yikes - I'm gonna burn this thing out!

There are some problems with your calculation. A diode drops 0.4V off so we are loosing 0.44W. 5.6 - 4V = 1.2V x 1.1A = 1.32W

So all that said, what is going to the led is: 6.8 - 1.32 - 0.44 = 5.04W....

mateen

Enlightened
Of course - I forgot about the diode! So it looks like we are right on the edge in burst - good enough! Thanks for the mental check.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some more calculations and it seems we are in the 75% range efficiency when a diode is installed and using the regular FLuPIC board with 4.2V li-ion, we get a pretty good 85% efficiency regardless of burst or low mode.

Of course, efficiency only goes up as the voltage of the battery drops! When in DD, you get 100% minus a little.

Cools! Two thumbs up!

mateen

Enlightened
I gotta repeat that I really like this thing, especially with the U-bin. I am glad that I decided to move it over to a 6P instead of the G2 it started in as I envision a lot of heat coming out at burst mode. I also potted the whole board inside a can with AA epoxy to try to suck the heat away from the board and emitter. The whole light gets warm pretty quickly - a good sign!