Newbee Question about discharge curves.

fire-stick

Enlightened
I saw a runtime graph on flashlightreviews.com for the Nuwai 301X-5. The test was done with Pannasonic batteries. I liked how the curve stayed at around 95-75% of it's total output for a good part of it's runtime. I also liked how it doesn't drop straight off and die all the sudden. It gradually curves of so I'll have pretty good chance to get to my new batteries without the batteries just dying all the sudden.

My question is: Would this light have a similar curve with Surefire or batterystation batteries, and if not how would the curve be different?

Thanks for your time!

Scott

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I wouldn't think that there would be more than +/- 20 minutes between batteries in that light.

fire-stick

Enlightened
So are you saying that the curve should be about the same but different batteries would run +/- 20 min runtime?

Is the flashlight itself the major contributor to the shape/style of the curve or is it the batteries? I know it's probably a little of both but which would you say has more of an influence.

Thanks

Scott

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Depends! The electronics in the light can play a big part in how the curve looks (regulated voltage/current or a simple boost circuit, or a direct drive/resister system). Battery chemistry will play a big part in how the curve looks also.

All of the above is why we do runtime plots. Take advantage of the different review sites and threads in the Reviews Forum on the CPF to see how different lights and battery combinations work. For instance...the 5w Nuwai ALX-352L turns itself completely OFF when the voltage starts dropping off...for some folks that is not good....but it IS one very bright light!!! The 5w Nuwai 301-5 takes a long time to go completely dark but is not as bright as the 352L.

fire-stick

Enlightened
Well I got more questions.. I know... I'm such a new-B. This was originally suppost to only take like 10 minutes. (ha ha) Ya know, just sit down and pick out a flashlight, buy it, then do something else, But then I started reading about all this stuff and got like super interested, and now here I am asking questions about runtime graphs and stuff.. I was originally just shopping but know it looks to be more of a learning experience than anything.

(Concerning the Nuwai 301X-5 and the Nuwai Quantum III)
The runtime graphs on these two were done with Panosonic and Powerizer batteries. If/when I get those flashlights I'd plan on using surefire or batterstation. Q:So if I used batterystation or surefire instead of the battery that was used in the test how big of a difference would there be.(graph wise) Q:Is it even possible for someone to tell a 10-20 lumen difference with the naked eye?

Well sir I thank you for your time and your contribution to my new hobby!!

Scott

Latest posts