Battery Junction - Olight
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashlights in TV shows and movies

Flashaholic

Default Re: Flashlights in TV shows and movies

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    Also seen a few SF M6's in this week's INVASION.
    Ok,

What is this Invasion show I hear about? I only get armed forces feed and have never heard of it.
    Please stop throwing photons at me.

Flashaholic

The one movie that really stands out for me is the scene in ET: Extra Terrestrial. The part where they are walking through the foggy forest with their bright lights piercing through the fog. I hope I'm remembering my movies correctly. I'm sure it's been on tv a few times since and it always reminds me of the first time I saw that movie. What kind of light were those ?

If I remember correctly, the flashlight's in E.T. looked like Mags. However, they were probably modded to exhibit higher brightness. You need a LOT of light to expose film correctly. Unmodded Mags typically are not bright enough, if you want to see the actors, the set AND the flashlight-light.

Quote Originally Posted by sween1911
    In "The Hunted" with Benicio Del Toro, there's a scene in which a host of cops swarm a factory or something, all of them armed with 9P's with turboheads.
    Those turboheads looked like SRTH's..

Quote Originally Posted by Schuey2002
    Those turboheads looked like SRTH's..
    Those lights are just awesome in usage. You know, that movie was on the other night. My wife was telling me something, and I did that husband trick where you turn your whole head, but keep your eyes on the TV. I couldn't stop watching as they had just entered that dank dark warehouse area and those SF's began piercing the darkness. "Yeah honey... uh huh.... mmm hmmm.... of course I'm listening to you.... "
    Dean Venture: "I'll get the flashlights!"
    Hank Venture: "And I'll get the astronaut Ice Cream!"

I've been noticing that on CSI NY, they've been using SF A2's w/ Red LEDs, the character that was doing autopsies that is now in the field is using one.
    They've been using more and more LED Surefires in CSI Vegas & especially Miami--- Yeah I caught the maglite reference in the Miami episode too, don't know why they just didn't say "flashlight" and kept it generic---
    SF:G2,E1E,E2E(w z57),6P W/z49 & KL3,A2,L4,U2,E2L
    Longbow:MICRA/Peak LED McKin 7LED
    INOVA X5T&X5THA,X1/24-7,STREAMLIGHT TT 2L,Task Light Luxeon 2L,SCORPION LED ARC: AAAP ARC4+
    Brinkmann LX, 2Mini Mag w/Opalec led/Terralux2
    Dorcy AAA/Metal Gear/ (2) Super 1 watt CR123 / Petzl Zipka +/Photon FreedomII/Costco 1W/Groovy/Coast 6LED/1 Red
    RR 2AAA, Headlamp/Princeton EOS Headlamp/Fenix L1/ HDS EDC BASIC 42 XRGT

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic
    In the first episode of Ginger Snaps (that cool werewolf flick) the girls use what appears to be a Streamlight Strion, which was plugged to its charger on the wall of their little backyard house.

Anyone have seen this movie??

Ginger Snaps is a GREAT movie!!! The entire trilogy is actually!

I quite liked the first movie. (I've not seen the others)
    I don't think it could have been a Strion, the movie is too old.
    Likely a Stinger the style is pretty consistant.

Al

SureFire's M6 appear on the show Without a Trace occasionally. . .
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic

Default Flashlights used in TV's 'Supernatural'

What kind of flashlights do the brothers carry? I am unable to ID them.
    EDC lightsources:
    -- Fenix L1P in holster on belt
    -- ARC AAA-P on gear keyring
    -- Doug Ritter Photon Freedom Micro on neck lanyard
    -- SureFire E2e clipped in rear pocket

Default Re: Flashlights used in TV's 'Supernatural'

I wasnt able to idnetify them either. One thing i did notice is that they are longer, with a fairly larger head than body. Maybe a stinger HP? I'd have to see the show some more.

Is it me, or do they make flashlights seem sucky in shows/movies to creep people out more?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Hops
    I wasnt able to idnetify them either. One thing i did notice is that they are longer, with a fairly larger head than body. Maybe a stinger HP? I'd have to see the show some more.

Is it me, or do they make flashlights seem sucky in shows/movies to creep people out more?
    I thought the flashlights themselves looked cool. The heads definitely got my attention.

The reason flashlights in TV shows or movies about the paranormal or supernatural might appear to malfunction is that when an entity manifests itself (meaning we can see it), that visual manifestation requires power -- energy.

The energy must be drawn from somewhere.

The energy comes from you (you feel cold or lightheaded), your flashlight's batteries (the beam dims or dies), and your camera's batteries (camera will cease operating).
    EDC lightsources:

I am pretty sure they are SF M-4s.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by briteguy
    I am pretty sure they are SF M-4s.
    Wow. That's one big light.

Damn. Now I have flashlight envy again.
    EDC lightsources:

At one point when they threw open the trunk for some reason I'm pretty sure I saw a Surefire M4. I'm also pretty sure I saw a 6P somewhere in there too and what might have been a turbohead along the way (couldn't see what body)
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

OK expert Flashaholics, I've been searching for a while and couldn't find anything about the movie S.W.A.T. and the flashlight that is used on their submachine gun. I've pasted a picture in here, it's not the greatest but can anyone tell me what the light on the gun is.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/s...ollinsize1.jpg
    Last edited by Size15's; 12-23-2005 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Hot linking of images without permission is not allowed.

Flashaholic*

In some of the X-Files episodes, Mulder and Skully carry a 6p or something that looks like a 6p with dead batterys.
    In others, they carry a ever dimmer M*g 2 or 3 C/D cell (Can't tell)

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic
    In the first episode of Ginger Snaps (that cool werewolf flick) the girls use what appears to be a Streamlight Strion, which was plugged to its charger on the wall of their little backyard house.

Anyone have seen this movie??

Oh, the Discovery Channel's Mythbusters frequently use an Inova X5 with blue LEDs, they also have a boring 3D mag.
    yeah gingersnaps is a canadian film, theres ginger snaps 2 and 3 as well, dont remember the flashlight however i do have the movie so ill check it out later

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer
    OK expert Flashaholics, I've been searching for a while and couldn't find anything about the movie S.W.A.T. and the flashlight that is used on their submachine gun. I've pasted a picture in here, it's not the greatest but can anyone tell me what the light on the gun is.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/s...ollinsize1.jpg

That appears to be a Millennium Dedicated Forend Model AB Series 9V w/2.5" Bezel a.k.a. M500AB/M510AB. The claimed output on that is 225 Lumens max and was intended for close to medium range applications. Hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by Size15's; 12-23-2005 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Hot linking of images without permission is not allowed.
    LUX'Ottica

The "AB" and "M97" Millennium WeaponLights use the same TurboHead and Lamp Assemblies as the M3T.

BTW, the lumen output is not a "maximum" or "peak" of 225 lumens for the MN16. SureFire doesn't rate it's products like that. The maximum is likely to me in the order of 300 lumens but only for less than a minute. SureFire's lumen output are realistic based on the runtime/output curves etc.

Al

Well put Al.

I was just quoting from their, SureFire Tactical Products 2005

"225 lumens max output*"

*Using optional ultra high-output lamp

Page 23
    LUX'Ottica

yeah I realise
    Each year they get better at producing accurate information catalogs which is the main thing. They have a complex and ever changing product range. I don't envy the job of the people trying to make sure the details are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's
    yeah I realise
    Each year they get better at producing accurate information catalogs which is the main thing. They have a complex and ever changing product range. I don't envy the job of the people trying to make sure the details are right.
    SF are my favorite overall light in the world, bullet proof, tougher and brighter then anything,,, but some times we all make the technology sound the the 1-3 $Mil digital protool's studio's I make my living in VDG
    "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"lumen Gentium!"

Quote Originally Posted by elgarak
    If I remember correctly, the flashlight's in E.T. looked like Mags. However, they were probably modded to exhibit higher brightness. You need a LOT of light to expose film correctly. Unmodded Mags typically are not bright enough, if you want to see the actors, the set AND the flashlight-light.
    IIRC, the flashlights were stock, but one of the effects the used was sensitive film that made the lights look fiercy bright. They filmed in a very dark environment with very sensitive film, and that made the lights look very bright. Can't remember exactly, but something I saw somewhere on special effects.

I think the reason they did this was the same reason the X-Files always used Maxabeams - to project a 'beam' effect through the humidity/dust and produce a 'close in effect'. Provides for more tension in the X-Files, because it gives a kind of tension due to a perceived 'crush' of environment. Also, instead of a simple flashlight in their hands, and a spot of light chasing around, they get the neat effect of this blue beam lancing around.

In Close Encounters, I think the effect was done to provide an E.T.'s perspective of the oncoming humans: terrifying pursuers with lights that would absolutely not fail to find him. I think that the lights here were meant to be an extension of the people holding them, their beams were connected to the people by the visible 'beam' and its touch was almost the same as having one of the humans grabbing him with a hand. The thing that makes him burst into a run is when one of the light beams starts lighting him up.

Again, I can't remember where I saw this, but it was a 'making of' kind of thing. In several places, they kind of make the movie from E.T.'s perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleestak
    IIRC, the flashlights were stock, but one of the effects the used was sensitive film that made the lights look fiercy bright. They filmed in a very dark environment with very sensitive film, and that made the lights look very bright. Can't remember exactly, but something I saw somewhere on special effects.

I think the reason they did this was the same reason the X-Files always used Maxabeams - to project a 'beam' effect through the humidity/dust and produce a 'close in effect'. Provides for more tension in the X-Files, because it gives a kind of tension due to a perceived 'crush' of environment. Also, instead of a simple flashlight in their hands, and a spot of light chasing around, they get the neat effect of this blue beam lancing around.

In Close Encounters, I think the effect was done to provide an E.T.'s perspective of the oncoming humans: terrifying pursuers with lights that would absolutely not fail to find him. I think that the lights here were meant to be an extension of the people holding them, their beams were connected to the people by the visible 'beam' and its touch was almost the same as having one of the humans grabbing him with a hand. The thing that makes him burst into a run is when one of the light beams starts lighting him up.

Again, I can't remember where I saw this, but it was a 'making of' kind of thing. In several places, they kind of make the movie from E.T.'s perspective.
    Also wanted to add: I've always gotten a kick when someone is using a Maxalight on a show. When they pan the light around, they are always very careful not to put the beam into the camera lens. They try to be careful and keep from blasting it with light. 'Skully' was better at it than 'Mulder,' because he sometimes kind of whited out the camera for a second or two.

In the remake of Battlestar Galactica, Starbuck climbed inside a downed Cylon raider and used a Streamlight Scorpion held in her mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianChan
    Anyone knows what light Keanu Reeves use in Constantine? It's mounted on his crossbow.
    Looked like some sort of specially built light to me. It seemed to be the same color and styling as the crossbow, probably a specially made or restyled common flashlight modified with HID and CR123 batteries.

You gotta love the way he banishes demons in the film: "Into the light I command Thee!" Try that one the next time you're trying to convert a non-flashaholic lol

Quote Originally Posted by LetThereBeLight
    This past Monday...CSI Miami...the blonde was getting on another CSI about not having fresh batteries in the "MagLite" in the "kit".
    I haven't seen that episode, but I remember another reference to MagLite on CSI: Miami. In an episode where a bank robbery is committed during a Tsunami (using the Tsunami as cover). The detectives go over a hardware store receipt from one of the suspects, one of the items they read out is "a MiniMaglite". To me this just smacks of product placement. Product placement seems to be very common on TV shows and even in Movies (remember the clever Chevy billboard in Constantine?). Unenlightened people watching the show will instantly jump to the conclusion that the actors on the show are using Mags, boosting Mag sales and reinforcing the widely held misconception that Mags are so great. I remember a time when I thought all the flashlights I saw on TV and in movies were Mags lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CNTSTPDRMN
    I've been noticing that on CSI NY, they've been using SF A2's w/ Red LEDs, the character that was doing autopsies that is now in the field is using one.
    They've been using more and more LED Surefires in CSI Vegas & especially Miami---
    In the first season of CSI: NY I only ever saw Scorpions (it seemed to be the only flashlight they used). Same with CSI: Miami, except some LED lights that I've been unable to identify (probably Surefires, like you mentioned). On Vegas the two lights they seemed to be using exclusively were SL UltraStinger and SL Scorpion (xenon). Not sure how many seasons behind we are over here in Norway so you guys may have noticed something I haven't seen yet.

On the UPN series Veronica Mars, Kieth Mars (Veronica's father) uses a surefire M3t for his night time detective work.
    Incandescents: Surefire G2-Surefire 6P-Surefire9P-Streamlight Stinger-Streamlight Scorpion-Mag11
    Leds: Inova T2-Fenix L1p(lost)-Photon Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Firebladz
    I saw that episode too, I think they just used "maglite" because it's probably the most widely recognized name in flashlights...

Firebladz.
    Check out this link. Scroll down to "Maglite" on the list of tools.
    Incandescents: Surefire G2-Surefire 6P-Surefire9P-Streamlight Stinger-Streamlight Scorpion-Mag11
    Leds: Inova T2-Fenix L1p(lost)-Photon Freedom

Fox's television series "Bones" was another one that showed a SureFire (6P or G2?—forgot) where the FBI agent was chasing that Ranger in the woods. He dropped it and it failed on him. Now, what's with that? He he he. . .
    LUX'Ottica

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast