PEAK
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashlights in TV shows and movies

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

Default Re: Flashlights in TV shows and movies

in the movie "the island" ewan mcgregor uses a inova x5
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

In season 1 of "24", Jack Bauer towards the end of the season uses a SF M6 i believe.

My question is this. In the first Jurassic park, what all flashlights are used??
    Collection: The collection has dwindled sadly. I have a few mags of varying size and bulb type... a tl-3, wolf-eyes boxer, and a few misc spots. Might build things back up when money is more available...

Flashaholic*

Funny that most of the lights used (and mentionned here) would be totally useless in reality (most of the SFs and so on) because of the short runtime.

f.e. in Riddick: a bunch of 9N turbo-heads (lighting Vins back)?
    40 mins runtime lights on a space-ship as emergency lights?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by castmem
    My question is this. In the first Jurassic park, what all flashlights are used??
    If you refer to The Flashlight Scene, it was a MaxaBeam.

This thread should be mearged with my old one. See here

Quote Originally Posted by yellow
    Funny that most of the lights used (and mentionned here) would be totally useless in reality (most of the SFs and so on) because of the short runtime.
    I guess that's true because the cameras need the high output of SureFires.
    The exception of course are "Special Forces" and "SWAT" type lights that are mostly off-the-shelf SureFire WeaponLights. The "SWAT" movie being a good example, and Bad Boys II (Will Smith had an M6 for several scenes) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw
    Check out this link. Scroll down to "Maglite" on the list of tools.
    It says "Maglite: High-powered flashlight with a sturdy metal housing" That just goes to show what I was saying earlier, this is paid-for advertisement!

I also found this reference to Maglite in the episode archives. I have never once seen any of the actors use Mags .

I wonder how much Maglite is paying for this advertisement? They seem to get mentioned a lot, and the fans buy Maglites along with CSI kits. Probably a very lucrative deal.

In Toy Story 2 at 00:15:42 there is a minimag on a table at the yardsale. (Appears to be missing its tailcap.)

Just caught a couple back to back episodes of The X Files on TV.

They were using what looked like black, rubberized (possibly) 6 volt type lanterns.

Flashaholic*

CSI Las Vegas has been a showcase for flashlights ever the shows inception. The preference of flashlight brands used is more likely tied to whichever company bids highest for the product placement rather than a particular preference on the part of the producers. Companies generally pay a fee everytime their product appears in a TV show or movie. So everytime you see the lid on someone's Dell laptop or the back of an Apple monitor, you can be sure that Dell or Apple are going to be shelling out some bucks for that. Though quite honestly, I have to wonder how many members of the mainstream audience would know or even care what brand of flashlight they might be using on CSI:Wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighteyez
    . . .quite honestly, I. . .wonder how many members of the mainstream audience would know or even care what brand of flashlight they might be using. . .
    The general populace doesn't care. To them it's just a flashlight. You can hear the enthusiasts in a theater though. A couple of times I can heard some say "SureFire!" when there's a scene with it. Response from people around individual is "ssshhh!" or "shut-up!" See, they don't know. But we know!
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic*

Probably explains why I don't go to theaters very often .
    I did notice the SL products early in the series, and the first thought that popped immediately into my mind was "product placement". Guess I'm not dyed enough in the proverbial wool? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by CHC
    The general populace doesn't care. To them it's just a flashlight. You can hear the enthusiasts in a theater though. A couple of times I can heard some say "SureFire!" when there's a scene with it. Response from people around individual is "ssshhh!" or "shut-up!" See, they don't know. But we know!

The rumor is that MagLED will debut this Sunday on 24

Quote Originally Posted by Knifemaster
    The rumor is that MagLED will debut this Sunday on 24
    Interesting. . .I remember that either the director or producer contracted with Laser Devices for the Operator series which have been seen on the show. Will see this Sunday though.
    LUX'Ottica

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by The_LED_Museum
    On "The X-Files", they frequently use MaxaBeams, even in situations where such a large or bright light is unwarranted.
    I remember seeing mags in use on that show also, more earlier years though, as well as many other 90s LEO shows

On NCIS the agents use SF M3 and M4s and it seems like they never have to put in fresh batteries.
    Incandescents: Surefire G2-Surefire 6P-Surefire9P-Streamlight Stinger-Streamlight Scorpion-Mag11
    Leds: Inova T2-Fenix L1p(lost)-Photon Freedom

Did anyone see the light used in the van on 24? Any pics?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Knifemaster
    Did anyone see the light used in the van on 24? Any pics?
    I watched 24 because someone posted that it was to be an up and coming MagLED. To me it looked quite large, like a D-cell type light. I have not reached flashaholic status, so I hope someone can fill us in and enlighten us. Wait, I've reached enlightened status...what's that I hear ?...a choir of angels...what's this above my head...a halo !!! no, it's just a burnt out light bulb...

Looked like the kid had a Tigerlight in the back of the van in 24 last night. The gold band was a giveaway.

Flashaholic

HAHA! I think CSI is what turned me into a flashaholic! I mean I always used to love my mag 3d cell but that's because (as they say on 3rd rock from the sun) "it's nice to hold"

I totally forgot that the 5th season of "24" premiered last night. . .
    LUX'Ottica

Unenlightened

It was a quick scene, but in the full trailer for The DaVinci Code, it seems the lead actress is using an Innova with Blue LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by pathalogical
    I watched 24 because someone posted that it was to be an up and coming MagLED. To me it looked quite large, like a D-cell type light. I have not reached flashaholic status, so I hope someone can fill us in and enlighten us. Wait, I've reached enlightened status...what's that I hear ?...a choir of angels...what's this above my head...a halo !!! no, it's just a burnt out light bulb...
    TigerLight is on 24 and several other shows and movies, The TigerLight has been used on every season of 24.
    Randy Teig
    TigerLight Inventor
    VP Production And Development

Did anyone see Sin City? The motorcycle cop was shining a magcharger at Clive Owen's face from about 1 foot away. Seems a little obnoxious to me...

Tactile weapon lights on The Negotiator. SureFires maybe? I cant say.
    Nitecore D20 & NDI/Eagletac T10C2/Olight T20M/Dorcy 2D 4W/Dorcy 220 Rechargeable/Taskforce 2C Cree/Ray-O-Vac 3W & 1W 2aa/Coleman Max 3aaa Cree/Sharper Image Q3/Pelican M6 2330/Elektrolumens XM-3 (Thank You CPF)/Dorcy 3D & 3AAA Super 1W/Brinkmann 3W 3AAA/Golston V1 7W/LEDBeam/Fenix L1P, L2P & L0P

Flashaholic

In S.W.A.T. the bad guy, Gamble uses what I think is an A2 when they're in the sewer. Looks like 3 white leds, and later it's incan...

Only thing is, he clicks it on. The A2 doesn't have a clickie switch, does it?
    Arc-AAA-P, G2, A2, L4, HDS EDC Rotary, Olight SR51

Alias last year had an unusually painted black Inova 24/7

CSI LV (also last year) had an episode with an Inova X5 UV LEDs

No, it doesn't have a clickie and doesn't make noise when activated. That doesn't mean that sound effects won't be added though. Kind of like when someone whips out a Glock and shoves it in someone else's face; you often hear a metallic sound like a hammer cocking or something. I guess the production folks think it adds drama/excitement or something.

JimmyB

Quote Originally Posted by Chris201W
    In S.W.A.T. the bad guy, Gamble uses what I think is an A2 when they're in the sewer. Looks like 3 white leds, and later it's incan...

Flashaholic*

A bit of-topic...

In Coldplays music video "Talk" they are using what looks like 3.5 MCP Thors with terrible dounut-holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris201W

It could be a different LED/Incandescent hybrid too, like the Streamlight Twin task, which is a clicky.

Note: I did not see this movie, it's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB
    No, it doesn't have a clickie and doesn't make noise when activated. That doesn't mean that sound effects won't be added though. Kind of like when someone whips out a Glock and shoves it in someone else's face; you often hear a metallic sound like a hammer cocking or something. I guess the production folks think it adds drama/excitement or something.
    Very true. Most people seem to think movies are 'unrealistic' without exaggerated sound effects.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf