Window Air Conditioners

K A

Enlightened
Not wanting to hijack the Generator thread I will start a new one here.

TPA said:
For those looking at the Kipor or Honda generators, here's a video I found on the 'net. Check out how quiet these inverter-based generators really are:

http://www.jsapr.com/campsmith/3500ti.AVI

From what I've read, the Hondas still have an edge on the quietness...and I've yet to see anyone hook up an oscilloscope to the output of the Kipor generators. I'm still a "you get what you pay for" person, so I'll be sticking with the Hondas. The price difference between the Honda & Kipor clone isn't worth the risk to my equipment. 'Though, since my EU2000i generator has less than an hour on it, I'm thinking it might be another 5-10 years before I'd even need to think about replacing it. More watts would be nice...but at $3.09/gallon, I'm not sure I want to feed anything with more watts, not to mention the scarcity of fuel after a disaster.

Also, for those looking at window AC's, be sure to check the EER (efficnency) ratings. Normally this doesn't amount to much, but when you're paying ~$0.50/kWh, it adds up quick. The el-cheapo 5,000 BTU ACs have an EER of 9.7 or less. 5000 / 9.7 = 530 watts. A better 5,000 BTU AC with an EER of 11.7 would use 5000 / 11.7 = 427 watts. 100 watts/hr is quite a bit when you're running a smaller genset. ~8-10 CFL lamps' worth.

Does anyone know when Lowe's is putting their window ACs on sale/clearance for the season? They seem to have quite a few of the higher EER window ACs, but with prices to match...and for something that I'm buying & may never use, I'd hate to pay full price. :)

I went looking around this morning to try and find a small 5k BTU AC myself. I saw a 5200 BTU unit at Targets on clearance for like $27 :grin2: but it was only a 9.7 EER unit. :awman:

I also looked at Lowes and Home Depot. I didn't wander the entire store in both places, I just looked around where the AC's were usually placed. But in both places they were already converted over to fireplace stuff. On my way out of HD I did see a 20K BTU up front of the store, but that was a bit larger than what I wanted.

Poking around online I see a Kenmore 5700 BTU at Sears for $190 with an 11.2 EER. Home Depot lists a Maytag 5200 BTU for $119 with a 10.7 EER.

I'll try hitting Sears and Best Buy tomorrow morning to see if they have anything instore that might be on clearance.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put the 5200 Maytag in a rent house about 2 months ago. Works great and really quiet. Don't have any idea about the power usage. Tenant hasn't complained.

I paid more, like $20, for the Maytag because of the SEER and warranty.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to read the ac for a tent thread in the knives and other gadgets thread. It has some alternatives that use compressed air and solar power, not to mention water.

I would skip the ac thing on a genny and use a swamp cooler myself for use during a power failure. Id save the gennys overhead for running the fridge.

ledlurker

Enlightened
If you are in an area of high humidity then a swamp cooler is useless. During the summer and late fall around our area the humidity varies between 90 and 98 percent

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive heard mixed messages on swamp coolers. Sure it wont make the temp any lower, it just makes you and any other life forms "feel" cooler. Ive never fooled with one in person, at least a large one. I have a small one from dr leonards. It was ok blowing on your, then again it was a small battery powered unit.

When my power fails I use an automotive 12 volt clip on fan you can buy at the auto store or auto dept. They blow out a lot of air.

In the shop I use to work at they used old electric radiator fans on saw horses as fans. Man, they blew out a lot of air. Ive entertained the idea of buying a monster electric fan to use as a make shift window fan for power failure as its moving air is better than still air and window acs take a lot of power.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, a swamp chiller is useless here in the summer too, but if you live in arizona or colorado or a place like that they can be a good alternative to AC. The downside to using one for a tent would be the fact that you'd have to carry a lot of water to run them, and you'd still need a generator to run the blower and pump and whatnot. So you'd be better off just lugging the generator and the AC unit to start with. They can use up a LOT of water if it's hot and not humid out.

A buddy of mine has one in colorado, he likes it a lot cause compared to AC it's cheaper to run, but he has to do a lot of regular maintenance on it to keep it clean and change the filters and evaporator and such. If you let them get gunky inside then it's just a mold culture that you blow into your house!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
90-98% humidity eh?

If it doesn't hit 150% around here some days I'd be very surprised!!!

Speaking of this subject, I think I'll go fire up the 120V unit in my bedroom for better sleep tonight!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tx that humid? You have never been east have you? I was in dallas for a few days and it was nice. It was a bit humid in the morning and evening, but during the day it dried up. I think it hit a hundred one day and you would never know it compared to VAs weather. I did however notice all the buses, light rail cars DART, etc had extra AC units or components on top of the cars that I dont see in VA.

Still, if its 110 outside with low humidity, its my understanding it will stiff be 110 inside, except it will feel cooler.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Cobb, I've never been north of Florida all the way to the Atlantic. It really does seem to be more humid here on some days than it ever was down in Houston.

Nicest it can feel here is when a 'norther' blows in. Not a blue norther mind you, just a nice NW wind.

I've been to Vegas exactly once, in November '01 and I rather liked the weather there!

BTW, my room feels GREAT right now! And even though it's Saturday night, I'll be heading off to bed pretty soon.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean about AC. I use to love going to the 7 11 near the shop I use to work back in the early 90s. Man, it was like walking into a freezer. I use to also hate going back outside. Worse of all, my glasses would fog up.

We had quite a few days here in RIchmond where it was so humid out that even a room ACed to 75degrees your glasses would fog up outside and windows too. Strange to run your windshield wipers to remove the fog from the outside of your window.

ledlurker

Enlightened
cobb said:
Tx that humid? You have never been east have you? I was in dallas for a few days and it was nice. It was a bit humid in the morning and evening, but during the day it dried up. I think it hit a hundred one day and you would never know it compared to VAs weather. I did however notice all the buses, light rail cars DART, etc had extra AC units or components on top of the cars that I dont see in VA.

Still, if its 110 outside with low humidity, its my understanding it will stiff be 110 inside, except it will feel cooler.

It depends on where you are in Texas. If you are within 100 miles of the coast then the humidity is 90+. Go about 200 miles inland to around San Antonio, San Marcus and Austin and it will be about 10 to 15 percent lower. Travel another 600 + miles even lower. It all depends on where you are located. I have relatives in the Hill Country area that do not need AC, when they come to visit us the humidity practically kills them because their asthma acts up

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not know that. I know I spoke to a few folks who came east and they say after the Mississippi river its humid as all get out. West of it, its nice and dry.