Dog barks too much.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My next door neighbor has a young german shepherd, and it lives outdoors next to my room.. As soon as the neighbors leave, it starts barking.

Is there a way to get a dog to stop barking? It doesn't get walked much, just stays in it's gated area. Poor dog.

Anyway, the barking is just too much. Any suggestions? I know the neighbors know the dog barks, because they yell at it to 'shut up' all the time.

I want to suggest obedience training, even offer to pay for it. That would probably be the best thing.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehehehe didn't think of that. I don't want them to hate me. They're nice enough besides the dog thing.

Frangible

Enlightened
Sounds like seperation anxiety to me. Go over there when they're not at home a bunch at first and pay attention to it, then gradually make your visits less and less frequent. Over time, the seperation anxiety will fade.

German shepherds are an active breed that need physical and mental challenge, putting one in a small cage and yelling at it is a pretty crappy thing to do.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dogs are pack animals. I have never understood why someone would get a pet that has a need to be "with the pack" and then leave it alone all day.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed more and more people getting dogs as a "fashion statement", or because it's "cool", rather than for any kind of love of the animal. These are the same folks that fail to walk their dogs ever (like my neighbor), or socialize them in any way, and end up with an animal that aggresively barks at every sound it hears, and barks/snarls at the slightest hint of a stranger in the area. It's too bad that the dog is put into the position of becoming a public nuisance because their owner is too irresponsible to take proper care and give the needed attention.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
visiting with the dog is a good idea, however it may just then consider you more of a threat from the other side of the fence as it were. If no other means to control it are forth coming you might consider something like THESE ultrasonic devices.

I used to live next to a guy that left his poor dog outside all day too and it would just sit not far from my baby daughters window and bark constantly. There was nothing I could do about it so I invested in a "bark stop" and it actually worked. I put it on a timer so that it was only on during the 2 2hour periods when she normally was trying to nap during the day and it didn't take the dog long to learn when not to bark. He barked all the rest of the time, but that didn't bother me as much and it left some time the dog could do his thing without it being on 24/7 which I didn't think was very humane.

I mounted it on a tree facing the fence between our yards, not visible from his house, but close enough that it could hear the dog and vice versa.

Nothing will stop a dog from barking when they have something to bark at, like an intruder, or traffic or visitors or whatever, but this will quiet them down quite a bit from just constant barking. But like I said, i dont think that it's a good idea to just turn it on and leave it on, probably drive the poor creature mad.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a neighbor's dog barking all night long.

I called my local animal shelter about the barking dog. The animal shelter sent the barking dog's owner a letter, saying your dog is disturbing one of your neighbors.

Now my neighbor puts the dog inside the house at night. I have no problems hearing that dog bark anymore.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, in my opinion-and this is just my own opinion, no dog should EVER be left unattended outside especially when the owners are not at home. I would call the village you live in and have them pay the owners a visit. There is a no noise ordinance in the town I live in and it includes everything from loud music in cars to barking dogs. My town will ticket offenders. (I like peace and quiet)

Lisa
smile.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one of these recently but haven't had a chance to use it. There are a number of dog training sites that I saw that recommend it.

If I get a chance to use it in the near future I'll post the results here.

-LT

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the great responses. It's good to know that I have resources to utilize. I didn't want the neighbors to think of me as the guy who can't put up with (whatever). I think they would be more open to input from some kind of official agency, like the aspca, for example.. That's my next step.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i used to have that probem i swer the owners and the dog where all dumb as a rock.he would only bark at his owners they would just sit there and let it barks id finaly yell shut the hell up.i finay asked em what the matter with that dog .they said they dont even like him.the dog needed to be trained thats all.i never even had to tell my dog to be quiet he only barked if people got near his fence then soon as they left he would be quiet