Exposed Optics under water - what happens? (The answer in a movie clip)

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
While designing the GatLight, the discussion came up what would happen if an exposed optic is dunked under water. Most people including myself thought that the DIRECT CONTACT of the optic with the water would destroy the optical characteristics.

Since the GatLight is the only light that is based on a principle with an exposed optic while being fully waterproof, I thought it would be interesting to share the answer to this question with you all.

Here is the Video-Link

It is interesting to see how little having the optics under water changes the beam pattern. In reality it seems that under water the optics seems to focus even tighter (the dye part)...

I and others assumed that the water ruins the beam pattern, which doesnt seem to be the case.

And here 2 photos....
water.jpg

water2.jpg

Last edited:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am i the only one who can't see any of mobile1's pix all of sudden? For the last two days or so. (Feel free to PM me in case i am.)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Very interesting and cool video! Your light is really different and clever in execution! To test the true isolation of electrical paths from the water, have you tried dipping it in salt water?

Regarding the optics and destruction of the optical charactoristics UW, I suspect that there would be some changes given the new index of refraction relationship of the boundary between the surface of the optic and water VS air but it might take some sophisticated light measuring equipment to quantify the change. I would point out that if the TIR were truly total internal reflection, you would see no light escaping from the side of the optic at all. I further assume that the effect of submersion would best be evaluated in measuring the change in the amount of light that does leave through the sides of the optic and not out the front face. :thinking:

Congrats on taking this vision to reality!

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's really interesting; I'm amazed at how a "naked" light can work so well. Cool stuff.

Have you thought of a more "standard" test? Say... shine the light onto a white surface from a given distance, both under water and in air. Measure the spot under both conditions? I may be wrong but the change in spot size may be due to refraction, the shape of the bowl, and your angle of view. :thinking:

OK, science testing hat off. :)

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
well the video was actually taken by my partner. Gotta leave for the tahoe get together (with 3 GatLights), when I get back I'll try the Salt test. Regarding light escaping on the side. ON photos (in water as in the air) it always seems like there is light coming out on the side. However there actually is not - and it looks the same as if you would simply put an optics right on top of a Star.

I'll have a ton of data (Led mA, battery mA, draw and regulation at different voltages and brightness levels - I'll post them sometimes later.

Regarding a standardized test I think we might do that, with 2 GatLights, one in water one on the side... I'll post the results in here....

Was busy today finishing a Mag2D to 4C mod, FatFlex (thanks to George for letting me borrow his Prototype) driving a Luxeon V - its a very clean mod (everything looks the same on the outside as the Stock Mag). I'll take it to the Tahoe get together and post some photos here in a new thread when I get back.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Speaking of standarized tests, it would be a good idea to have a "reference" light with the same type of optics, but enclosed as it's more typically found in flashlights.

It's one beautiful looking light!

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The GatLight in SALTWATER - Photos

Ok we did the saltwater test... some really cool pictures here

McGizmo said:
Very interesting and cool video! Your light is really different and clever in execution! To test the true isolation of electrical paths from the water, have you tried dipping it in salt water?

So here we go - fully saturated salt water
salt1.jpg

We left the light in there for 2 hours - the light worked beautifully.

Here is a really neat picture - it seems that the saltwater changes the optical characteristics, where more light seems to be escaping throught the sides probably because the saltwater is more white... however it looks really neat with the radiating beams....
salt2.jpg

Then here is another photo
salt3.jpg

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the video clip showing a PILA version being submersed in water.

Then an update regarding first run delivery. We will be producing the lights in badges of 5 per week. The first ones will be shipped in about two weeks :naughty::naughty::naughty:.

Last edited:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn - to answer your question, currently the first run is 40 units that go to cpf members who prepaid a couple of months ago.

Then so far there is interest from cpf members for about 50 more units in a second run, goal is to have them done beginning of this coming year. As long as you get in on the second run, waiting time shouldn't be too bad, since for the second run we can actually have some work done externally which we do now manually (silicone seals, driver assembly, pressing bars into center section) - this should speed things up considerably. If you send me an email to mobile1 aat gmx.ch I'll send you an email when I open sign up for round two.

By the way I just posted a couple of new photos in the main thread (see sign.) - and tonight I will post some really wild photos - if it all works out (surprise)

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way cleaning this light is rather tidious - had some calc or someting else on the outside of the optics (after a water test) - it took me a while to find something small that could fit between the rods to get it off (didnt wanna remove the screws since they are staked)....

M.TEX

Enlightened
Hi

Just one question here... How much for this little light ?

and to where I should send Payment ?

Thank you,

M.TEX

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there - thanks for your interest well prices for the first run were $170-$200 (incl. shipping). If you are interested in one just send an email to mobile1 Aat gmx.ch and I'll add you to a list to be notified when we open sign up. We are working hard to keep the prices at the same level (as you can see the light is pretty complex with over 60 parts that go into each light and about 90 minutes to hand polish, press, assemble and solder them all together. More information is in the thread GatLight - my signature below links to that thread.