Hunter's Moon photo request.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Full moon is officially tomorrow morning with a minimal eclipse as it sets.

I'm wondering that sense the moon rises a few minutes after the sun sets tomorrow, if we'll get one of those monster orange globes. I think it happened last month.

Anybody know what the chances of this happening might be?

Anybody around here have a camera?

-----------------

- Jeff

Monday
17 October 2005 Central Daylight Time

SUN

Begin civil twilight 7:00 a.m.
Sunrise 7:26 a.m.
Sun transit 1:02 p.m.
Sunset 6:37 p.m.
End civil twilight 7:03 p.m.

MOON

Moonrise 6:16 p.m. on preceding day
Moon transit 12:48 a.m.
Moonset 7:31 a.m.
Moonrise 6:44 p.m.
Moonset 8:42 a.m. on following day

Last edited:

bigcozy

Enlightened
I missed your post Ice, I will try to get a pic Tuesday and post it up. I am only about two miles from the Arkansas, I will try to get a pic with some river reflection.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can that would be great, bigcozy.

We went out to the lake off Hwy 10. Past the yacht club, that first little park on the other side of an inlet. Looking back toward LR it rose just to the left of a hill on the lake. It was definitely bright orange/pink and fairly large but it wasn't that huge orange globe that I guess happens in September.

It's really nice to look at because you can see such good detail. With binoculars it was very nice.

As predicted, the lake became pretty active but I didn't catch anything because someone was distracting me. We did get a bonus. About 8:00 p.m. a big, slow moving meteor streaked across the sky to the northeast. Maybe it was spacejunk? Multi-colored. Downright spectacular.

Sunset is 6 minutes earlier tonight and the moonrise is about a half hour later than last night... 7:12 pm tonight.

Navy's_sunset_moonrise_calculator_by_city

-----------

- Jeff

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hiya ice how are you freind? sunday night around 11 pm i walked to walmart which is like 7 miles away ot so it was so bright outside .i guess i know why now ..do fish bite better now i still live on lake 10 minute walk from my back door i can have bait in water

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Icebreak said:
We did get a bonus. About 8:00 p.m. a big, slow moving meteor streaked across the sky to the northeast. Maybe it was spacejunk? Multi-colored. Downright spectacular.

- Jeff

No kidding? I saw it also from my house here south of Kansas City.

It started a very bright white, turning greenish as it grew larger; it then broke into smaller pieces and then to nothing. It was outstanding.

Thorwing this off topic a second: Many years ago (~1992ish) I was camping on the Cape Fear River in North Carolina and had my amateur radio gear with me (HF rig on 40 meters for you that really wanted to know), talking with some friends in Virginia. While the other party was talking he shouted "did you see that?" and at the same time I saw this HUGE green ball streaking north. Anyway I believe this meteorite hit some residence or car up in New York. That one was the best I have ever seen...

--Chris

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Rags. The fishing isn't killer in that lake this time of year but I can usually snag something with a full moon rising. My ol' pop knew the best time to catch a fish. "When your hook is in the water."

saunterer -

Yes! That was it!

I would have liked to have seen that big green one you saw. OT this all you want. Celestial bodies are a favorite subject.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

bigcozy

Enlightened
If it is rising in that direction, I will have to go down and get on the other side of the river. If you are talking about the small park west of the yacht club, that is Pinnacle Park. The little Maumelle runs through there by the boat ramp. To the west it runs to lake Maumelle and to the east it feeds into the Arkansas and runs right past the yacht club. I really wanted to put my boat at the yacht club, but it was too expensive. I am looking at another big live aboard and I might try there one more time. I know that area really well. Anybody that is interested, the park is at: 34.50'49N and 92.27'49W
I used to paddle a lot in that are, I once saw so many Teal in that inlet that it took them nearly twenty minutes to all fly out. It was deafening.

On the meteor thing: I was at Lost Valley in the Buffalo National Wilderness area in 1997 when a huge meteor lit up the sky. That is one of the most remote (and darkest) places you can be. I was talking to this guy and his wife from Colorado in total darkness, then suddenly everything lit up and we could see each other. The light was an eerie green. Freaked everybody out.

bigcozy

Enlightened
I didn't get out there last night. Buddy of mine killed two deer yesterday so I helped him butcher them so I could get some venison.

Were you at Cook's Ferry or Rebsamen Park?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two? Very good.

LR side just east of the I-430 bridge. I don't know what they call that park. River Mountain road comes off Cantrell and goes down the hill next to the interstate and finally to the river. There is a little ramp there. Then it hangs a hard right and goes under the I-430 bridge along the river to the dam. But before that they block it off to motorized vehicals for cycleists and joggers.

You didn't miss much. It wasn't huge like in September but it was a good evening to get out.