Found fenix split rings

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Update 042111 I recently posted I had some cheap clips and even posted a picture of them before CF crashed. They are flat metal and measure 2.2CM (7.8 inch) x 0.8CM (5/16 inch) at the widest part. They will be 5 cents each and if you have no way to reimburse me I will still send you a few for free like the other stuff. I got them also from walmart if you want to purchase a package yourself. I have restocked swivels as I was down to just a few left. I have gone through about ~200 swivels so far and another 100 split rings. I will again try to get a picture of the new clips up in a few days.

Update 122409, since I was just about to run out of swivels, the batch I ordered was 144, of which I have about 20 duds in the batch or about 15%, I ordered more from a different dealer off Ebay this batch differs where the swivel action is but appears almost identical to the picture in size and looks. I am dropping the price to 10 cents each for the swivels now instead of 15 cents and will still send you a couple for free if you have no easy way to reimburse me for my costs. The price I chose is because I got this batch a lot cheaper it is somewhat lucky because I have looked for awhile and this company in the USA offered a cheaper price than shipping from China so I took a chance.

Update 010208, I decided to offer these small useful swivels that are found on a lot of keychain accesories to those that can use them. I got a good deal on ebay with the extra *donations* sent to me. I am asking for 15 cents a swivel and currently can reorder them off ebay in quantity at that price for now. I will ship up to 2 swivels to anyone for free if you have no way to send me paypal (cash only, personal account). For those in Canada the postage is 74 cents I think instead of 42 cents if you are able to pay me.
Here is a picture of the swivels.
swivels2croppedto8.jpg

Further update, those overseas airmail is at least 90 cents and the post office says it will go up to 94 cents for a letter soon so keep that in mind if you are asking for some rings you may decide to get more than 10.
I just got back from Walmart and picked up antique copper 8mm & 6mm rings they look like a dull penny in color some with black or darker colored lights may prefer a less shiny color. Specify if you want the copper one or I will send silver by default.

Just thought I would further update this. I have been trying to find the package of 6mm only split rings (200) but the 3 walmart stores here I have gone to have not had them. I instead found a package with a purple and white tag labeled "fashion accessories" it contains 240 pcs of 6 & 8 mm rings. I think there are 120 of each. The manufacturers number (right corner) is 88633. The 8mm rings are considerably larger if you want either type I will send them as you ask otherwise I will assume you want the 6mm ones.
I have sent over 1400 of these now..... all over the world.
Thanks to the extra donations some of you made so I could send free any that asked me.

I stumbled across 200 tiny split rings that fit the lanyard holes in my fenix L1P perfectly. I got there from....... Walmart in the crafts section in a tiny package in jewelry stuff for about $2.00. There is two colors brass and chrome, the brass plating seems to flake off easily though.

UPDATE: I only have a paypal personal account and do not accept credit card fees. It literally costs $0.31 to accept a $0.50 paypal transaction which IMO is not worth messing with so if anyone needs the rings and has no access to paypal cash they can either mail back funds, donate to CPF later at their leisure or consider them a gift.

EDIT: Due to the many questions asked I have prepared the following answers.
1)How do I get some of these?
PM me your mail address and amount you want AND the size you want (10 @ 6mm is default) and I will send you some as soon as I can get them in the mail.

2) Do the rings fit through both holes in the fenix?
Yes, they (6mm) fit nicely through (the L1P, unsure about newer models) both holes with some effort and have a little
slack. Since the rings stick out a little they do help prevent rolling of the light.

3) Do I have any more left?
Yes, I currently have about 80+@6mm and 100@8mm.

4) How much do they cost?
First 10 rings is 50 cents, a penny each after the first 10, if you do not specify an amount I will send 10 in a standard envelope via USPS.
Payment is via paypal or send funds via mail, upon receipt of your rings.
You can pay me, or give to CPF or the relief fund later or if you do not have paypal some people have generously donated extra so I can send you them free.

5) Are these rings useful for other lights?
Yes, as they are rather tiny you may to use a few to replace the larger clunky split rings on tiny keychains. They are more robust than the non split rings found on things that can be pulled apart easily. The larger 8mm ones may be useful for all sorts of things other than lights.

Last edited:

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
fit in one hole or both? I found a splitring that would fit in one hole, but that eliminated tailcap standing.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
they are coiled rings but not with the diagonal slant in the middle between the two loops.... about two times around the circle and they fit through both holes through about the exact center of the ring giving it enough slack. My rough measurement is about 5.5mm diameter with 2.5mm of *slack* on the outside to stick something through is my estimate. Looks to be about the perfect size as they rest loosely not rubbing against the pushbutton cap.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If anyone isn't able to find these at walmart PM me and I will see if I can send you a few.
I don't think I will ever use 200 of these, perhaps a dozen or so is enough for me.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Still have over a hundred left, these may also be good for other lights due to the tiny size. Due to extra donations sent to me I can ship them out to anyone that needs a few
and you can either pay me or donate to CPF or the relief fund later. I have over 100 left
and if you want 10 of them PM me your address (if you want more please state amount).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Update bump.... I have plenty left and I have edited the first post to include answers to commonly asked questions. Include a mail address in your PM to me and I will ship you some ASAP.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I know this must be a dumb question, but what is a split ring?? Do you have a picture of them filling the lanyard holes so I can have a sense of what it looks like? If they prevent the rollig of the Fenix, it sounds like a great idea.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Split rings are essentially a short coil of stiff wire usually 2 turns or almost 2 turns.
The typical split ring is found on a key chain and is like a flattened coil of wire.
You have to pry up one end to get your keys on and twist it on.
These split rings are tiny stiff round wire and you do have to pry one end of it
up and work at it a little to get them through both holes but it is worth the trouble
and it will stop rolling but doesn't stick out so much in the fenix as to grab onto
things. These are slightly smaller in diameter than a typical #2 pencil.

7k7k99

Newly Enlightened
It is impossible to get these on a Fenix, especially for a man with large hands. I have managed to lose several of these in about as many minutes, they shoot off before you can begin to get them in the hole, let alone both holes! Anyone have a secret to get these on?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I used a small knife blade and small flat blade screwdriver.
The knife blade to open up one end of the coil and the screwdriver to open it up more.
When I got it open wide enough I made sure the wire was sticking out beyond the screwdriver blade enough to poke through a hole in the fenix the proceeded to stick
it through. Once you get it started you need to use the screwdrive some on the inside of to open it up enough to get it through the second hole.

jtice

Flashaholic
I made one of the holes in my Fenix a notch,
now the splitring works like the Arc AA tail.
Not a bad compromise.

~John

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have perhaps 200 of them and can get more but if you need a lot walmart has 200 in a package for $1.88+tax in the jewelry making (craft) section. I think the package is homestays or something like that with a pastel dark blue color tag on the top of it if I remember correctly. ( I throw the tag away when I open the bags so I don't have one right now).
Just PM me an address with how many you need and I will get them in the mail in a day or two unless it is not in the US or more than a standard stamped envelope can manage I have to visit the post office at lunchtime.

Someone just posted a picture of their fenix with the same size splitrings
HERE
if you want to look at what the ring looks like, the ring in the top pic is relaxed and you can pull it out farther as there is some slack and the ring can be pulled out perhaps 2/3 the way due to the hole slack space to allow for either a larger ring/clip or thicker lanyard.

Last edited:

Yooper

Enlightened
Just got back from Walmart. It took me a few minutes to find them because my WalMart has the jewelry making stuff in two separate aisles for some reason. It took me about a minute to install one on my L1P with a little screwdriver and fine needlenose pliers.

Two bonus benefits from the ring:
  • It keeps the L1P from rolling.
  • It makes it really fast and easy to find the button end in my hand without looking, do I don't try to switch it on at the bezel end and put a big fingerprint on the lens. (yes I know the rings on the front and knurling on the back are for this, but they are kind of subtle and takes me a few seconds - the ring is instant)

Here's a picture of the product:
wmsplitrings.jpg

thanks for the tip!