Is this 2C River Rock Normal?

flashlite

Enlightened
I just picked up a 2C River Rock 1.5w at Target last night. Overall, I'm impressed with this light but there are two things I noticed that cause me a little concern:

1.) With the light on, the momentary off requires only a VERY slight push. You can practically just rest you thumb on the switch and the light turns off. In fact, I'm so use to just leaving my thumb on the switch after turning the light on that sometimes the light won't come on at all until I completely remove my thumb from the switch. I'm just afraid that the switch is faulty and after some wear, it won't turn on at all.

2.) The spot has a yellowish/tanish tint. I prefer that over the typical blue tint with other LED's but I'm wondering if this Nichia Jupiter should be whiter.

Did anyone else notice any of these things with their River Rock 2C?

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's branded Aurora, but i can blink it off with rather little pressure. I think it's just the design though, as actually clicking it on/off seems nice and solid.

George1

Newly Enlightened
I have a fairly new River Rock 2C from Target. The switch doesn't take much pressure to turn it off temporarily but it does require a reasonable amount of pressure to turn it off completely.

The spot is blue not tan, although inside in daylight, on a wall, it appears blue on the outside and perhaps slightly less blue or tan in the center.

Hopes this makes sense and helps.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2xC River Rock has a nice firm, though not too stiff, switch and a slight blue tint.
My 2xAA River Rock has a REALLY stiff switch (too damn stiff) and a slight blue tint.

antidarkness

Newly Enlightened
Switch feels very light in comparrison to mag 2C and most other clickies.mine does have a yellowish tint with a uneven blue ring around it.
and i'm a little ticked that this one has very dirty optics sealed inside. Kinda like the guy who assembled it just got back from McD's and didn't wash his hands.
278570190_l.jpg

278569719_l.jpg

all the scratches and stuff are on the inside of the collimator lens and you can't see it but there is a lot all over the jupiter emmiter as well.
anyone else have that problem? River rock isn't exactly A+ for consistancy are they?

flashlite

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

It doesn't appear that I've got any dust or dirt under the lens on this one but I do have that problem with my Inova X1. I do agree though that there appears to be a lot of inconsistencies with these lights, at least with beam tints and patterns. I'm still trying to decide if I should try my luck with the Jupiter lottery again or just be happy with what I have. The build quality seems outstanding. I guess you really can't expect too much from a $25 light.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one and I've found that as you described, the momentary off from the on position is a SUPER short push... Now, it takes a regular push to turn it on initially, but the momentary off is far too easy to access in my opinion.

On mine, the beam itself is uniformly bluish-white... not too blue as on the River Rock 2xAAA light, but a perfectly acceptable blue-tinted white. The first spill ring on mine is distinctly tan though.

On mine, the optics aren't dirty or scratched, but there looks like there's a fingerprint inside the lens. It doesn't seem to effect output at all and with the beam being so tight, it doesn't effect that either... Overall, I like it quite a bit. Machining is very nice, color and finish are nice... I made up a spacer out of PVC pipe and it seems to me, I get almost the same runtime with 2 Duracell C cells vs 2 Energizer 2500 mAh NiMHs.

IMG_1578a.jpg

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlite said:
I just picked up a 2C River Rock 1.5w at Target last night. Overall, I'm impressed with this light but there are two things I noticed that cause me a little concern:

1.) With the light on, the momentary off requires only a VERY slight push. You can practically just rest you thumb on the switch and the light turns off. In fact, I'm so use to just leaving my thumb on the switch after turning the light on that sometimes the light won't come on at all until I completely remove my thumb from the switch. I'm just afraid that the switch is faulty and after some wear, it won't turn on at all.

2.) The spot has a yellowish/tanish tint. I prefer that over the typical blue tint with other LED's but I'm wondering if this Nichia Jupiter should be whiter.

Did anyone else notice any of these things with their River Rock 2C?
1.) This is normal for the Aurora 2C. I have used about 20 of these flashlights yet, and they the momentary off requires a very slight push with all of them. The Aurora 2AA needs more force to get temporary off.
2.) All of the Aurora's I've yet sold, have a pure white tint with a very little blue, very nice color. But it's possible you have another color bin, which has a rather yellow tint.

By the way, I'm currently selling these flashlights at the lowest prices worldwide. I've sold already more than 300 of them. For more information : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1134904 By the way, these are the original 'Aurora LED series' flashlights and not the River Rock flashlights :)

These flashlights are available at the lowest prices worldwide :
overview.jpg