What LED should I use in a keychain light?

frankr

Newly Enlightened
Which Led would you drop into a generic (photon like) keychain, the Nichia NSPW500CS or a 35 K mcd Led? Or would you recommend another LED? I'm mostly looking for brightness and very white, some blue tint, if its not to blue is okay. Thanks

Last edited:

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't need a lot of them, I'd suggest using the very best (I've seen yet):
=from www.lsdiodes.com
It'll cost you $2.54 US but it's worth it IMO. It can take a full 100mA of drive current without dimming over time, and is nice'n white too.

Last edited:

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
balazer said:
Is that the ISP 100-mA 5-mm LED?
Actually, it isn't the Korean ISP. I like this new 100mA one because of it superior whiteness.
The ISP ones didn't seem as white...... :(

p.s.-LSDiodes sold me some really powerful color 5 mm LEDs too.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sandwich Shoppe also has 100 mA white LEDs available for $3.25 each. I don't know if these are the same as the 100 mA LEDs mentioned in this thread. I do know that most of them have a low Vf and run well on a single 3-volt lithium cell (direct drive). They are also whiter than the typical Nichia LEDs.

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
I have some Nichias running in a few of KevinL's keychain lights and I like them a lot. I also got a bunch of 35k mcds in the group buy. The 35k seem a bit more white, but the ones I have will be used for other projects. If I end up with some extra I might use them in a keychain light or two, but the Nichias make me quite happy for now.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
a LED that can handle 100ma isn't going to help much if you can't deliver that much current - I suspect that 2 2016's isn't going to be able to.

I have compared the 35k and the Nichia CS B0 and C0 side by side and I prefer the Nichia CS C0.

It has more blue than the 35k, but puts out more light overall.

The 35Khas a brighter and more focused hot spot and is whiter. Sounds like you might like that more in a photon clone.

balazer

Enlightened
Two 2016s will deliver about 60 mA for the first couple of seconds, but it will stabalize at around 30 mA within 30 seconds or so.

The MJLED casts a very wide beam, and would only be appropriate if you have a good reflector. For the kinds of reflectors you find in key chain lights, you'd be better off with an uncut LED. An uncut ISP LED is o.k.