Can I Help You?

dim

Enlightened
At Sam's today, while I was holding a 32 pack of AA alkies and looking at their selection of batteries, wanting NiMHs but needing primaries, a clerk stocking the display asked me "Can I help you?". As eager and as nice as he was, really, it was all I could do to keep a straight face. "No, thank you".

dim

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Whaaaat? :thinking: Are you telling us there "is" no help for you? We had that figured out a looooooooooooooong time ago! :poke::crackup:

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Sam's this morning too and never saw a clerk.

As a matter of fact, I had a phone card in my cart which I didn't know wasn't included on my receipt and had to go back to the register, wait for the lady to finish her customer, and produce my Discover card again for her to complete the sale. I finally returned to the exit and left.

I'd say it was my typical, lousy experience at Sam's Club.

*EDIT* - I should mention that the lady who sold me a slice of cheese pizza and a Coke was very attentive :).

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange isnt if why they have that printed on the back of their uniforms?

Only time someone at sams asked me for help was when I was looking at cloths and they wondered over from the flooring dept and wanted me to look at some samples. Told her I rented, not interested.

Walmart was a fun store to go ripping through in an electric wheelchair. I use to see how much I could knock over, run over before someone vlunteered help. Always a civilian offered to help before the the employee.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
There seems to be one of those immutable Laws of the Universe that says
that the likelihood of finding a store employee is inversely proportional
to your need for finding one.

Oh, and would you like to buy the extended warranty for those batteries?

AbnerCadaver

Banned
Pretty sad, indeed! But on the other hand, what do you expect from an employee making substandard wages. I have always adhered to the general rule: You get what you pay for, and that includes employees. Properly compensated, you're sure to get the creme of the crop. But meager pay = lower quality of the employee which in turn = "don't care attitudes". These jobs at Sam's, et. al., are considered at best, "Throw away jobs." Just stepping stones for college kids and hopefully, destitute adults.

Just my $0.02

Abbie

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's also obvious when those employees' training consists of being handed a bad photocopy of a two-page tip sheet. Some of the technical "help" I overhear in the big box stores is just all over the map.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
theres been lots of time i've waited for help at different places, and just left cause no one would help or even ask me. as a customer i shouldnt have to track a employee down and ask them to help me. i'll take my money elsewhere.

sometimes i get PO and say "Can I spend some money in here?"

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My biggest pet peeve is while in a major grocery store (Safeway, in this case) is not finding a single employee to ask for help after bombing up and down every aisle in my electric wheelchair; eventually having to go home without the item or product I was looking for.
:( :shakehead: :green: :mad: :green: :shakehead: :(

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clears throat, the one here pays 9 bucks an hour. Same rate I was paid working in the blue cross call center.

AbnerCadaver said:
Pretty sad, indeed! But on the other hand, what do you expect from an employee making substandard wages. I have always adhered to the general rule: You get what you pay for, and that includes employees. Properly compensated, you're sure to get the creme of the crop. But meager pay = lower quality of the employee which in turn = "don't care attitudes". These jobs at Sam's, et. al., are considered at best, "Throw away jobs." Just stepping stones for college kids and hopefully, destitute adults.

Just my $0.02

Abbie

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb said:
Clears throat, the one here pays 9 bucks an hour. Same rate I was paid working in the blue cross call center.

9/hr for doing nothing.
i make 10/hr and i work my tail off!!!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The_LED_Museum said:
My biggest pet peeve is while in a major grocery store (Safeway, in this case) is not finding a single employee to ask for help after bombing up and down every aisle in my electric wheelchair; eventually having to go home without the item or product I was looking for.

Aww man, THAT sucks. :thumbsdow

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think you're mostly right but...

Just a couple quick points here:

A - You do get what you pay for, but they're not all bad. I'm just past high school age, and have worked in 2 separate call centers. For every 6 or 7 idiots there are usually 2 or 3 overqualified people. This is a little generous, but you get the idea.

B - I avoid annoying employees by shopping at Costco ;)

Schuey2002

Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
When that happens to me, I just swing by the pharmacy that is on the back isle. They normally have a young employee (usually a cute, early-20's brunette) working behind the counter who usually knows where things are located in the store.. If they don't know, they just peek around the corner and yell at someone in the meat section for help locating something..

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I shouldnt complain about making 11 doing paper work selling dump trucks?

nemul said:
9/hr for doing nothing.
i make 10/hr and i work my tail off!!!

In all seriousness, I bet its harder for them to kill a day doing nothing than so busy they loose track of time.