Anybody Have a Turnout Gear?

CLHC

Flashaholic
I was just curious if anyone of CPF's members have their own turnout gear for Fire/Rescue?

I used to live out in what some people 'round here would say the "boondocks." Because it is out in the middle of no-where, so they say—and around those parts all they have are the volunteer fire department and the CDF (California Department of Forestry). We had a couple of the neighbors who did have their own turnout gear but had nothing whatsoever to do with fire-fighting, but would help out if needed. . .

On my end though, I thought that it would've been just for the neato factor to have it. Anybody here know anything about turnouts? What do you know about Vanguard, Securitex, Fire-Dex, Servus, Ranger and the like? I want to educate myself by those in the know.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
No, I don't, but I'd like to. Galls has a fair selection of turnout gear. I'd probably buy it more for the novelty of owning it and the practical jokes you could play with it, than actually fighting fires. Oh, well...

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey there! They (Galls) have some interesting things. So they're part of that uniform supply company Aramark.

I'd probably buy it more for the novelty of owning it. . .than actually fighting fires.

I agree with you there on just wanting to have it for the neato aspect. Also for the fact that when I was a child I was fascinated with fire and wanted to be a firefighter. Maybe one day (if the funds are available) I'd like to have a full turnout gear with the SCUBA and all! ! !

CLHC

Flashaholic
BVH said:
You probably mean SCBA, not SCUBA...unless you're going to fight underwater fires.

You know. . .I was thinking that that doesn't look right with that "U" in there. SCBA is what I meant. Underwater firefighter?<—What's that all about? He he he. . .

Thanks for he clarification BVH!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not me, but my friend, Charles Ruddel who's dad is a fire fighter for LA county has some old turnout coat/pants set that he keeps at home.

You could guess what my friend dressed up as for halloween one year. :) (coat, pants, boots, and helmet only, no SCBA)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Dressing up as fireman for a party eh?

What got me liking these turnouts was from the television series Emergency! Remember that one? "Emergency 51"!

Besides I like all the neat tools/equipment that these professionals use—such as that Bullard Thermal Gun among others. . .But then again, I should just start out with the coat and pants and boots eh? Then go from there. . .

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look at the price for turnout geat you might change your mind about getting a set for fun.

Scrounge around who knows what you'll find. But if you want new stuff a check visit to Galls online might change your mind REAL fast.

Turnout gear prices are over $1000 for a set. You need to add another $2000 for SCBA.

nethiker

Enlightened
that underwater firefighting comment was pretty funny :crackup:. If you really want turnouts, check with your local volunteer Fire Dept. There has been a lot of federal money the last couple of years and most of the departments I know have upgraded their PPE. I bet if you offered a modest donation, you could pick up a set.

I'm not sure about wearing them for fun. They get pretty hot and heavy after a couple of hours, and that's not counting SCBA, smoke and fire. Of course the best way to get your own turnouts is to volunteer with your local department if you have one. :grin2:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I do realize the high price for these turnouts and it's accompanying equipment just by looking at the prices via LSS and others like FS. I'm not going to be donning these merely "just for fun"—although that is a thought, but no way.

Hey there NetHiker! Your comment about that "modest donation" to the voluntary fire department so that one may be had is interesting. . .

I don't know if there are any "volunteer" fire departments in San Jose, I doubt that. Maybe the one up on Mount Hamilton where the Lick Observatory is located? I have friends whom I associate with that are firefighters themselves. A couple of them are Captains. I'll have to inquire more information from them.

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
I do realize the high price for these turnouts and it's accompanying equipment just by looking at the prices via LSS and others like FS. I'm not going to be donning these merely "just for fun"—although that is a thought, but no way.

Hey there NetHiker! Your comment about that "modest donation" to the voluntary fire department so that one may be had is interesting. . .

I don't know if there are any "volunteer" fire departments in San Jose, I doubt that. Maybe the one up on Mount Hamilton where the Lick Observatory is located? I have friends whom I associate with that are firefighters themselves. A couple of them are Captains. I'll have to inquire more information from them.

IIRC there are several in the Santa Cruz mountains and I believe Cupertino has a Search & Rescue unit that is volunteer.