Sick and tired of it all

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just come to the realization that I'm sick and tired of it all. I'm tired of dealing with shipments. I'm tired of forwarding stuff for people. I'm tired of lights especially when I am fighting with my postal authorities who are refusing to release two A2s on the grounds that I haven't paid the tax. I have - just that they refuse to acknowledge that I've just sent them $25 for nothing. So that means I am out of pocket a few hundred dollars and there's no way I can ever get it back just because I'm too kind and did favors for people. Great. Thanks people. I've had enough.

I think I'm going on an extended (read: indefinite) vacation.

flashgreenie

Enlightened
:awman::awman:
Sorry man, I know how it feels. I had to run around the Athens airport this morning to get my DVD package from Canada out. Its amazing how complicated things are just to pay the duty and just get your stuff. I had to go 13 chops or signatures on the bloody form before I can get my package. An execise of 2 hours which included a bus ride. They probably had to pay more in manhours/salary then what they got from the money I owe. Go figure...
Don't you have any proof of payment??? Sometimes its just the person behind the counter which can be such asses at times.
:mad::mad::mad: :xyxgun::mad::mad::mad:

Leave it alone for this week. You might feel differently next week. Two A2s, no way you can leave it to those boneheads inthe postal department!!!
We all here for you.:buddies:

Minimoog

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about that Kevin.

I can sympathise as my last two imprted shipments have gone missing without a trace. An E2e - gone and some high temperature sockets - also gone. I am also getting sick and tired of it all. Money wasted on post office charges, complaints from people about 'where is my light' when I have ordered it for them and it has gone AWOL and I will now no longer do this - I ended up buying another just to save face.

I love all things bright, but in the current climate the fun is being taken out of ordering things. I don't see it improving anytime soon sadly.

Why don't you 'take stock' and enjoy what you have for a while and you will naturally start to enjoy the hobby again. Stay away from the post office for a while as well - brings the blood pressure up dealing with the unhelpful staff especially when they won't hand over the goods until the 'ransom' is paid.

Remember - a trouble shared is a trouble halved - so you are half better already!

All the best,

Ian

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me say I am sorry for any problems any Americans may of caused you. Ive never delt with international shipments, dutys, etc, therefore have no idea or can imagine how you feel.

If it helps, the Timex watch I ordered online in CA clear across the country from VA was shipped to DC a state above me a week later and now was ship up north to PA. Why didnt they just send it to the next state below VA where I live? According to the website its still in York, PA. Its being shipped by the post office and that was a ten dollar charge for shipping.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't you just pay them $25 in person to have the A2's released to you? I know, it's still a loss of $25, but it's better than a loss of a few hundred.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee Kevin,

Since you're tired of lights does that mean I shouldn't send this little light I'm working on as a thank you for all the help you've been? :whistle:

:nana: Bill

cy

Flashaholic
hang in there Kevin,

think you've already paid you dues for goodwill :D
let others take a turn..

this is suppose to be fun, but when you lose those kind of $$, it can cease to fun in a hurry..

newo

Newly Enlightened
There is a cynical expression that is fairly common in the American military/industrial/intell complex that goes like this - "no good deed goes unpunished."

On the other hand, there is the concept of karma.

The choice is yours.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to hear that, Kevin.

I'm no where near as helpful as you are but I've gotten pretty freakin' perturbed when I was trying to do something nice and someone or two with MEMEME attitudes got in the way.

Usually it's not that way. Usually it's more like "I can't believe you did that!" then months later I'll find out they did something twice as nice for someone else...pay it forward you know. I love that.

I've seen more than a dozen extremely good members just walk away due to unessessary crap they had to deal with. I'm not going to name names but one guy knew about everything a person could want to know about any aspect of lights. I thought everybody knew that. But then people would argue with him over and over again. You know I couldn't post, "Shut up! Don't you know who you are talking too?!!!" Yea. Haven't heard from him in a long time.

Maybe, as others have indicated, you could coast a little on the good deeds thing? I would really dislike it if your break became indifinite.

You are one of the most helpful members on the board. When you discover something you let us know about it. You take the time to compose, not type, but compose descriptions of what you've built along with links to get the parts. You host cook books and how to's all very well done.

A few inches from my mouse sits one of my favorite lights and I would not have known how good it was or how to get it if you had not posted about it. On the coffee table is an Icebreak version of the ROP. I think Phaserburn was the first to post the lamp and it was appreciated. It was your enthusiasm about it that got me to thinking. I came up with a different way to power it and I'm very pleased with the results. So, thanks, thanks and thanks again...however this turns out.

---------------

- Jeff

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick in there Kevin. It's because of people like you that a place like CPF even exists. You're one of the kindest, most wonderful people that I've seen around CPF and I think I speak for all of us when I say that CPF would be a darker place without you.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin.
Life is not fair, good deeds get overlooked.
It would be a pity to see you leave. Stick around :)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
kindness sucks everywhere.

ppl just don't thank you for anything good and remember you for the rest of your life for every bad ONLY.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I guess I have been lucky, although I have had problems with shipping and payments everyone I have dealt with has been courteous and even generous at times for the effort I have put out. I tend to try to expect that things will happen and that stuff will get lost and people will forget to pay (or even refuse). There is a risk dealing with people period be it either mail order or local sales as I have done both and have had to deal with people that have been somewhat dishonest and/or selfish to the point of outright fraud at times.

It only takes the small minority of overly dishonest people to ruin it for all the good ones. This includes insurance fraud, theft, hit and run auto accidents etc. Every time some jerk sideswipes a car and drives away it raises the insurance of everyone, every time someone shoplifts from a store or breaks into a house/car everyone pays.
It is a fact of life a minority of people want to take a shortcut instead of waiting and suffering for things they want it right now for free.

I try to remember all the decent folks I have dealt with in life, the ones that have gone out of their way to help me when I start to want to quit helping people period and it helps me to try to keep a more positive outlook, but if you are doing business you have to decide to either eat the losses and go on, pass the losses onto everyone else in the form of higher prices or decide it isn't worth it. I don't blame anyone for the last two choices as profits on a lot of stuff is a lot lower than it used to be so margins are such any problems can be disasterous.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Kevin, I would like to toss in my 2 cents. We have not met nor dealt with one another. I have read many of your posts. I have reason to respect you and acknowledge you as one of the good guys. No matter if you leave your pal's at CPF you will still be a good guy and most likely you will encounter some less than nice guys wherever you go. I have found most of the folks at CPF are good guys (and gal's). Please do not allow a few to ruin the group as a whole. You Sir will indeed be missed, I respectfully request you reconsider and choose to stay .
Topper

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin,

Likewise, we've never met, but likewise I have read, enjoyed, and learned from many of your posts. I am not technically adept, but I love the lights I've come to know thanks to CPF, and I have particularly enjoyed reading your contributions because they are so descriptive and well written.

I owe the pleasure I've gotten from my beautiful little black A2 to your loving descriptions of its unique qualities----that more than anything is why I took the plunge and went through my "Supreme Co. odyssey".

I hope you'll take some time off and then come back to CPF, maybe without taking on so many projects and chores---life's too short.

Best regards,

Andrew

Last edited: