2x 1/2 CR2 setup?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I broke down and went to buy a soldering iron at RadioShack today when these batteries caught my eye. 3V 160mAh 1/2 CR2 lithium batteries for about $5 ea. That's 6V with 320mAh about the same as my LiON CR2's but more Voltage!

I started wondering how I could use a pair of these to pump 6V through one of my CR2 lights like the NEOCA, JIL DD, RAW, or others.

What do you all think might be the proper bin/VF to run in this setup if any?

If possible, what about the bin/Vf of a 5W LED?

Any comments on heat, runtime? Is there a sag issue or is that just an incan issue?

Last edited:

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Shack 1/2 CR2 setup?

With 6V, you'd fry all of the lights you've named above - the RAW uses TW0J, which means that you'd be pushing 6V through something meant for 3.7V (which is already overdriving it), the NEOCA and JIL DD are meant for 3V cells... and I don't know how long you could run a 5W on there for.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure about your 1/2 CR2, but I have a camera that uses the 1/3 N cell, which is similar in capacity and voltage. These are designed for relatively low current applications, approx 100ma or so.

A good way to test would be to put a small resistor in line (such as 2 ohms) and see how much current it will sustain.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll get 10-15 minutes with a 5W luxeon to 50% power. It will be overdriven for the first few minutes. If you plan to use it everyday, I wouldn't direct drive it. The batteries fully charged would be a couple volts over spec for the LED.

But for oohs and ahhs, it would be a kick@ss bright light.

Jeff

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
CroMAGnet said:
I broke down and went to buy a soldering iron at RadioShack today when these batteries caught my eye. 3V 160mAh 1/2 CR2 lithium batteries for about $5 ea. That's 6V with 320mAh about the same as my LiON CR2's but more Voltage!

I started wondering how I could use a pair of these to pump 6V through one of my CR2 lights like the NEOCA, JIL DD, RAW, or others.

What do you all think might be the proper bin/VF to run in this setup if any?

If possible, what about the bin/Vf of a 5W LED?

Any comments on heat, runtime? Is there a sag issue or is that just an incan issue?

Were those 1/2 CR2's you saw at Radio Shack primary lithium batteries or rechargeable Li-Ion batteries?

The JIL-CR2 Intelli may be able to take 6V, but according to goldserve the FLuPIC hasn't been tested at 6V yet. The voltage sag of the cells when the Intelli tries to draw 700mA on burst might keep things ok for the FLuPIC but I'm not in a hurry to be the first person to try it.

Note that you can only add voltage or mAh but not both. If you connect two cells in series, you add their voltages but the mAh is the same as one cell. If you connect the two cells in parallel, you add the mAh but the voltage is the same as one cell.

Note that 160mAh is fairly low considering that a 3V CR2016 coin cell has 90mAh and a CR2032 coin cell has 220mAh (according to batterystation http://www.batterystation.com/lithium.htm ).

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
CroMAGnet said:
3V 160mAh 1/2 CR2 lithium batteries for about $5 ea. That's 6V with 320mAh about the same as my LiON CR2's but more Voltage!

:thinking:

Would that be 3V/320mAh (2 x parallel) and 6V/160mAH (2 x series) ?

-DF

Edit: Just noted vortechs said the same thing. Eh, great minds think alike, it's just that this one can't read :stupid: .