SF new style L4. How many lumens???

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say 65 lumens minimum as Surefire tends to under-rate their lights. Some Surefire L4's have been known to produce much more. Just depends on luxeon bin and Vf.

segan

Newly Enlightened
apologise if this is slightly off topic, but can you use 2xR123s in the L4? Or will the voltage be too high?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
segan said:
apologise if this is slightly off topic, but can you use 2xR123s in the L4? Or will the voltage be too high?

the KL4 head wasn't designed for voltage higher than 6v... Thats one of the reasons I got a E2L since it can handle up to 9v... that way i can safely use TWO 3.6~4.2v rechargeable li-ion batteries... it works GREAT! it may even be a little brighter than normal 123's...

i use the diffusion head with my E2L and it makes an amazing spill... EASILY bright enough to illuminate a path when walking yet somehow not too bright when using it up close to read something for long periods of time... i bet its due to its 'softness' the diffusion head produces... the runtime on the KL1 head is a lot better than the KL4 and is regulated better... I have an E1e body so if i need a headlamp or something its easy to convert.

then if you need throw just pop the diffusion head off and you can easily illuminate long distant targets... for me that it why i didn't purchase a L4... its spill/flood is softer and more consistant... and maybe only slightly dimmer to my eyes in overall output... yet the throw of the E2L/KL1 head is almost 4x as far as the L4/KL4 according to flashlight reviews and my observations...

jeffroalpha700

Newly Enlightened
What's different about the "new" L4? What do you mean by round? I own one from when it originally came out a couple of years ago, and I cannot see any difference between it and the photo on the website. Just curious.

rookie

Enlightened
The old L4 has three flat edges on the side, while the new ones are all round.

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
I belive you are refering to the body of the L4 . As far as I know the head has remained the same from the start just the shape of the body has changed . I have one L4 head that I bought when it first came out and another one bought this past summer and there is no change exept with the tint of the LED . But that is to be expected .