NEW KNIFE

nethiker

Enlightened
I just got a large Sebenza inlayed with Lignum wood from New Graham Knives. It's amazing. Every detail is perfectly executed. It is tight yet operates silky smooth. It will be a knife that someday I will be proud to hand down to my son.

I've spent some time browsing the knife forums and found that if you just want a quality working knife for a reasonable price the Camillus Heat might be a good choice. Not as sexy as the Sebenza, but should get the job done for a fraction of the cost.

Greg

drizzle

Enlightened
I hope spacetroll doesn't mind me piggybacking on the thread...

I still have not taken the plunge to buy a folder but I think I will. The last straw was finding out that Seattle has an ordinance prohibiting the carrying of fixed blade knives.

I'm looking for something basic and of good quality, and the knives you mentioned, excluding the Sebenza, fit the bill for me.

My question is, how much weight do you give to the blade steel type. From what I can tell it seems that the quality, from higher to lower, is S30V, AUS-8, 440C. I suppose it's even arguable about the order, but is there much practical difference? I'm tempted by the RSK mostly because of the S30V steel, but it's over twice the price of the Heat.

What do you all think?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drizzle,

Steel is very important but getting a trully experienced and informed opinion from someone who has compared apples with apples and oranges with oranges is next to impossible. There are so many variables that go into ones perception of the edgeholding and strength characteristics of a finished blade that you are better off placing steel type below manufacturer reputation, price, and ergonomics on your list of priorities. I'd say that buying from CRK, Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw and several other companies will make you a happy camper but one thing that is important is to actually go and handle (if you can find a brick and mortar store) them because the feel in the hand is every bit as important as styling and materials. There are knives that have the high quality materials, styling and quality construction but just didn't feel right in my hand and were promptly removed from my want list. Conversely, knives I hadn't even considered because they weren't x type steel, I ended up buying (and being happy with) after checking them out in person.

Here is also an interesting knife from bradley cutlery (It's made by benchmade) .
http://www.bestknives.com/brcualtifr.html

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, yea the sebenza is nice, but spacetroll didnt even say how much he was willing to spend either. Hell, in that case, Terzuola ATCF

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Ohhhh, the BM770,771 and 773 that were on the same page as that 940 link above look really interesting. Anyone know anything about those?

drizzle

Enlightened
Well, I took xochi's advice and went down to my local sporting goods store. They carried Benchmade, Kershaw and Buck. After handling them I found I really liked the feel and action of the Griptillians and Mini-Griptillians. Opening them was amazingly smooth and effortless but very controlled. The similar Kershaw model seemed to want to jump out of your hand with its assisted open.

The store didn't have any plain edge versions of either of the Griptillian models so I didn't buy one.

After thinking it over I ordered the Ritter RSK Mk1. I knew it had the handle and action I wanted and I just decided to go for the more robust blade.

Now it's time to watch for the UPS truck. :popcorn:

Thanks for the suggestions. I now return you to the original thread discussion, already in progress. :D

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
Drizzle, you made an excellent choice! I own many, many knives, mostly production, only two custom. Spyderco, Benchmade, CRKT, Victorinox, Wenger, Gerber, Kershaw (titanium/ATS-34, 2 different versions), WWII German gravity knife($$$, thanks Dad!), Buck, old Schrade, a few original bayonets, and others.

I have two favorites out of all of the knives I own, or have owned: the Doug Ritter Mini-RSK, and the Victorinox "Money Clip" with the red aluminum handles. These are the only knives I brought with me when I deployed to the middle east 8 months ago. You will find that your RSK will get even smoother with time. That S30V blade is excellent in material and shape. The lock is strong, and won't close like a poorly executed Walker liner lock can.

You will not regret spending the extra money for the RSK!

Adam

Santelmo

Enlightened
Hiya spacetroll!

I'd love chime in to play blade "matchmaker" but really, there about a dozen knives that you could get to play the particular role you mentioned. I would be helpful though we got down to specifics. Filling these questions would narrow down the field;

1. Intended use? - er, yes, you did say it was for EDC, but does it more lean on the utility aspect or the self-defense aspect?

2. Blade Length/type? - they are those hardly 2" in length to almost 5". Would you like serrations with it or just a simple plain edge? Do you want a "tanto" point or the regular dropped/spear/straight point?

3. Lock type - if it is a folder, there's the old reliable "lock back" type, the newer "liner lock" and it's tougher equivalent, the "frame lock". There are also the technical "tang
locks" (i.e. - Axis Lock/Benchmade, Ball Lock/Spyderco and Arc Lock/SOG)

4. And as mentioned before, what's your price range?

I could also add steel choice and handling (ergonomics, material used, thickness), but this is more subjective and requires an up close and personal approach.

Lots of choices huh? But that's the irony over there; choices are both paralyzing and liberating at the same time.

G1ZM0

Newly Enlightened
Santelmo is right you really need to give us some more information before anyone can make an informed suggestion. That being said. I've never been disapointed by any Spyderco I've purchased.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drizzle,

Be sure to give us a report, that knife is next on my list. Everyone seems to love it.

A cheaper version of the Sebenza, but with an AXIS lock is how it is described.

Bill

drizzle

Enlightened
Bill, I will gladly, but it will be from the perspective of a relative novice with better knives. Still, I'll EDC it for a while and then report in.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 770s are about to be discontinued (I think they are already) They're nice and slim and still have a decent handle

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
GarageBoy said:
The 770s are about to be discontinued (I think they are already) They're nice and slim and still have a decent handle

I have an absolutely uncanny ability to really like knives that have just gone out of production. ;) ;)

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Caly was a special edition, so...I love mine in VG10, still a great steel, which sharpens easily and has a natural bite. The 770 should still be availible

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I think you made an excellent choice. I'm happy with my EDCs, but if I suddenly lost all of them, the Mini-RSI would be the first thing I would order.

I usually carry either a Spyderco Solo VG-10/G10 or a Camillus CUDA EDC (154CM) depending on how much weight I want in my pocket. They are both overkill for my needs, but I like the knives.

I also carry a Spyderco Ladybug on a small piece of para cord with my car key. Nothing but positive things to say about Spyderco... I'm just not really fond of how the FRN handles 'feel'.