biodiesel on tv again

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight I'm watching the latest episode of "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery channel. The host is visiting someone who collects used oil from restaurants and makes biodiesel from it. The claim here is that the biodiesel costs $.55 per gallon. The guy has a much larger machine than the one that I saw demonstrated on the "Trucks" tv show. They do a little explanation of the chemistry that goes on in the equipment.

Anybody interested in biodiesel can look for this episode to repeat sometime later this week.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, guy had a diesel club cab truck that got 40mpg too. Think it was a 70s model datsun. I had a vw dasher diesel that got 49mpg. Popular mechanics gave it the lowest in all catagories than fuel efficiency.

Almost makes the back to the future 3 mr food fusion reactor a reality doesnt it?

dg

Newly Enlightened
I'm mixing veg oil from the supermarket with diesel - 70 veg to 30 diesel in the summer and 30/70 for the winter

Here in the UK this makes veg oil approx 60% cheaper per litre.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bring up a good point. Some good ole boys here in the south cut diesel with keroscene and in some cases mix grades of diesel to skirt paying taxes. I dont know about today, but some truckers are checked to see if they are using the right grade of diesel. I think they make 3 grades, farm, off road and highway.

Next time I head to sams club, got to check to see what veggie oil runs per gallon new.