Q3 Comments and Question.. LOOK PLZ!

skillet

Enlightened
First, the comments....

This is a great little light, to bad it is not mine. Let me explain... No, too long. Let me sum up. I had provided all 3 children and my wife with their favorite colors wrapped around a 2AA MiniMag w/ Nite-Ize conversion, glass lense and 'el cheap-O clickie tailcaps. Un-beknownst to me, my old son (15) had had his stolen at school when he left it lying under his clothes while in gym class. (also stole a $45 watch, but not the same day.. one would think he would learn but that is another sermon)

I told him that not everyone had his morals or standards and it didn't bother them to take something... Use the "lock"ers.. Anyway, he wanted another light and I told him only the first one was "free".. So he pooled his birthday money and other "offerings" (this included missing going out to eat after church a few Sundays with the other youth and missing a trip to the "big city" one afternoon)

So, a quick trip to lighthound.com and "Ala peanut butter sandwiches" a nice Green <the color of the light, not the beam>, bright, single cell, white Q3.

I had known this was what he wanted and had secretly ordered a glass lense kit.. so to my

Question:

I have searched to now avail.... How do I get the bezel off of this sucker?? Am I not trying hard enough? Have my wheaties run out?

Please tell me...

Skillet

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
there have been a few methods i've read about doing such a thing. The first method would be to heat it up with a heat gun, blow drier might work and turn it with a wrench. of course protect the light with some thing so the wrench doesn't mess it up. Second method is to put the light in a bag and put it in boiling water. then use a wrench to twist off the lens. again protect the light.

Hope that helps.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to boil it in a bag because of the loctite on the threads. Once the head is off I had to place mine in some more boiling hot water again to remove the reflector, again because of the loctite.
Good Luck

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your Wheaties have not run out! The darn thing is glued in place!!! Do the boilbag thing (worked like a charm for me with 2 Q3's) or the hair dryer heat up. Remove the low grade Locktite threadlocker when time permits.

evanlocc

Enlightened
I just freeze it for about 30minutes and warp 2 layer of cloth, so when the wrench work won hurt the body.

Then you may have figure out how to remove the reflector.

The boiling method work well to my XM2.

skillet

Enlightened
GOT IT... Lens installed.. Thanks LumenHound (wink, wink)

skillet

PS... I guess I'll have to get Q3 put in a two stage and mod it up with more power.. I can't let the 15 yr old "know it all" know it all...

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skillet, it can be a real barn burner if you want it to be.

Last edited: