Uses for Bunny L91's

k-2

Newly Enlightened
I'm finding more uses for Energizer L91 AA Lithiums. They cost $20 for 12 at Sam's ($1.67 each), so they are not inexpensive. But given the way I use my lights for amusing myself, i.e. short bursts followed by many nights using different lights or not playing with them at all, the primary lithiums make sense. They also make sense for car and emergency flashlights, given that they last a long time and can withstand cold and heat. NiMH's need constant upkeep (recharging). You also have to factor in the cost of the NiMH chargers, the electricity for the chargers, and the time and hassel involved.

I have a modified 3D Mag in my car with 9 L91 AA's in a fivemega 9AA-3D holder, WA 01166 potted bulb, litho123 .377" aluminum reflector, and Borofloat lens. I also have a back-up PT Surge with 6 L91's and 2 dummy AA's (bulb will instaflash on more than 6 lithiums). For play time at home, I put my 9AA Tesla-6 head on a 2D Mag body with 8 L91's in a modamag 8AA-2D holder. Same brightness as with 9 NiMH's.

The bunny's seem to work fine up to a 2 amp draw (e.g. WA 01166). They get VERY HOT when used to drive a WA 01185 (>3 amps). Battery Station AA lithiums don't seem to have the same output and runtime that the bunny's have. They are cheaper, but shipping needs to be factored in.

Just some observations.
grinser2.gif

EDIT: DO NOT use the bunnys in the PT Surge. After less than a week, I opened the light and the bunnys had swelled, partially peeling back the wrappers! Don't know why
icon3.gif
. The bunnys in the Mags are still happy and functioning. The PT Surge is air tight. Could it be that the bunnys need to breathe?

Last edited:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Batterystation lithium AA cells don't seem to deliver high current well at all. I tried 7 of them to power an HID which should have drawn about 1 amp, but they couldn't sustain even that.

Sounds like the L91s should do better.

David_Campen

Enlightened
The Batterystation lithium AA cells don't seem to deliver high current well at all. I tried 7 of them to power an HID which should have drawn about 1 amp, but they couldn't sustain even that.
They worked fine in the 0.5 and 1.0 Amp tests that SilverFox ran:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/64660
(see the charts about 1/3 of the way down)
His tests show the BatteryStation cells at about 0.1 volt lower than the Energizer cells.

The Batterystation cells work great in my UK4AA with the 4-watt lamp module.

I bought my most recent BatteryStation cells many months ago. I wonder if they have a new batch that isn't as good?

Last edited:

k-2

Newly Enlightened
David Campen- thanks for the pdf link. Energizer does not lie when they say 2 amp max continuous output, 3 amp max pulse output. The L91's can drive the 1185 no problem for short bursts, but get your extinguisher out for longer runs! The Tesla-6 9AA and the WA 01166 both draw about 2 amps. Happy coincidence.

I've found Silverfox's battery tests very helpful (thank you Silverfox for your time), but to be taken with caution. For instance, he has a chart of the D size LiSO2 happily running at 3 amps. I bought these batteries from HDS based on this chart. They SUCK! They CANNOT drive an 1185, nor an 1166. They can't even drive a bulb sucking 1.5 amps for longer than 10-15 minutes before shutting down. This at over $10 a battery!
rant.gif
That is why I am so pleased with the bunnys.
grinser2.gif
The charts also show that the Battery Station lithiums are close to the bunnys, but they do not compare in output or runtime to the bunnys at 2 amps, IMHO. In this case, you do get what you pay for.

Oh, and wasBlinded, I too put 7AA lithiums in my 10W ufokillerz/waterfish MagHID 8AA, except of course I put the bunnys in. They work fine.

I better stop. I'm sounding like an Energizer salesman.
ohgeez.gif

k-2

Newly Enlightened
Original post edited. DO NOT use the bunnys in the PT Surge.
poof.gif

timauton

Newly Enlightened
Gotta love those Bunny Lithiums. I made myself late for a party today looking for the L92 I knew I had somewhere in an open packet. It was to go in the Arc AAA-P I received today. The AAA-P already had a fresh alkaline in it and I had an Orb Raw in my pocket.

Am I taking this all too seriously? :help:

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh. The Bunny L91's are a tad expensive, but they perform well in several of my flashlights - and even the MiniMag conversions seem to love them for constant output at high levels.