More headlamp suggestions please

Bitmap

Newly Enlightened
I think I've given up finding a headlamp with a high and low output with separate switches and no mode cycling to deal with. Even the PT Apex has mode cycling. I don't mind that much on high output, but when I want a little light and I don't want to totally destroy what there is of my night vision I don't want to cycle through high and medium before I get to low.

So my question now is this - Is there a headlamp with multiple output levels that will remember the level it is on when it is turned off and return to that level when turned on again?

Did that question even make sense? I'll try again. I'd like to be able to set the output to low and use the light. When I'm done I want to be able to turn it off without cycling through higher or lower outputs. When I turn it on again I want it to come on at the same low level as it was when I turned it off.

That is what I want.

The Petzl Myo-3 seems like it might work, if I understand it's operation correctly. I believe it has a rotating bezel that turns on the low output LEDs first, then turns off the LEDs and turns on the incan and adjusts that from spot to flood.

Am I correct on the Myo-3 operation?

If they just made one with a Luxeon instead of an incan!!

Thanks again for your help.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bitmap said:
So my question now is this - Is there a headlamp with multiple output levels that will remember the level it is on when it is turned off and return to that level when turned on again?

According to the documentation the Apex will remember the level.

Sigbjoern

cy

Flashaholic
try the new river rock headlamp for $15 at target.

two stage clicky is very_simple to operate.

one click for low, second click for high, third for off

uses Nichia Jupiter .5watt. pretty darn bright for std LED.
sure looks simular to MJ led.

highly focused pencil beam, if that's what you want.
output is regulated for 7hr for high, 25hr for low. extremly light using 2x AAA and rugged oring constructed.

too new to see how these will hold up. if these work out, would make excellent backpacking headlamps and possible backup lamps for caving.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Apex doesn't remeber the last level you used. I have one and just tried...Sorry
BUT if you turn it on with a doble-click on the switch you want (nichas or Luxeon) it goes from high to low as fast as you can click. So just a brief flash of bright light before it goes to low.. If you close your eyes for that moment there is no problem with loss of nightvison.

You might also consider red tape over the nichas to conserve nightvision, they are pretty bright even on low...

Sverre

mrme

Enlightened
As I recall, the BD Vectra IQ headlamp remembers your last light level. It has a regulted Incadescent and 4 regulated 5mm LEDs.

I have a Supernova, the headlamp model this one replaced. I retrofitted it with a SWOH Luxeon where the 5mm LED was (the Supernova just had one LED). I find myself using the regulated incan about as much as the Luxeon becuase the color is actually better.

If you really do want to stick to just LED's, the BD Zenix IQ might remember its light levels. I never seriousy considered it since the the Luxeon-5mm combo is in my mind a rather poor choice of lighting options.

Bitmap

Newly Enlightened
What I'd really like is one of the following:

1. A rotating dial or rotating bezel that adjusts the output level and can be adjusted when the light is off or on. Combine that with a pushbutton clickie on/off switch. That way I can set the output level before I turn it on and can still adjust it after it is on. This would be like a headlamp version of the Surefire U2.

or

2. Two or maybe three separate on/off pushbuttons that can be used independently or together. This would be like a headlamp version of the Streamlight 3C-XP.

I agree with the red lens cover for the low power. Maybe this headlamp could use Surefire flip-up filters.

The reason I'm looking for this particular operating mode is for hunting. I want a low power light to get to the blind at 0'darkthirty in the morning, check for rattlesnakes under the seat, get situated, etc. Then I turn the light off. Then, it never fails, there is something I forgot to get ready, something to adjust, or something to check on and I have to turn the light on again. At this point a bright momentary flash of light is not what I want.

Anybody make flipup filters for headlamps? Maybe Streamlight for the Trident? That might be a decent compromise. I know I can carry another, small handheld light or keychain light for messing around in the blind, but it's the idea of having to carry extra gear.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the replies.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
NoFair said:
The Apex doesn't remeber the last level you used. I have one and just tried...Sorry

That's a bummer, that was one of the features I was really looking forward to.
I read the following on a web-page describing the Apex:
"After 3 seconds, the next push of the smart switch turns the light off (instead of cycling through light levels) and remembers which level you were using the next time you turn it on."

Can you try if the 3 second delay thing works?

Sigbjoern

greenLED

Flashaholic
mrme said:
As I recall, the BD Vectra IQ headlamp remembers your last light level. It has a regulted Incadescent and 4 regulated 5mm LEDs.

You gotta trust the advise with someone with 100000 headlamps in his sigline. :)

The BD "IQ" headlamps can do this for you.

InTheDark

Enlightened
Bitmap said:
The Petzl Myo-3 seems like it might work, if I understand it's operation correctly. I believe it has a rotating bezel that turns on the low output LEDs first, then turns off the LEDs and turns on the incan and adjusts that from spot to flood.

Am I correct on the Myo-3 operation?

If they just made one with a Luxeon instead of an incan!!

Thanks again for your help.

The Myo 3 does just that, it has a 2 stage switch Off>LED>Incandescent. You rotate the bezel to turn the lights on, but the first stage to come on is the LED (low output). Which means you can turn the LED's on and off, without ever turning on the incandescent (high mode). But that also means you have to turn on the LED's first to get to the high mode, but it's not that big of a deal. It also has somewhat of a lockout function, if you tilt the headlamp all the way back, the dial fits into a little notch where it can't turn on accidentally.

One thing to notice, if you don't have the headlamp on tight, turning the dial on and off tends to twist the forehead mount a bit. Maybe a bit of silicone lube would eliminate that by decreasing the friction of the dial. It doesn't bother me that much, but I also don't use mine very much.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurveleven said:
That's a bummer, that was one of the features I was really looking forward to.
I read the following on a web-page describing the Apex:
"After 3 seconds, the next push of the smart switch turns the light off (instead of cycling through light levels) and remembers which level you were using the next time you turn it on."

Can you try if the 3 second delay thing works?

Sigbjoern

No go on the 3 sec delay. It just changes to the next level. I think this function is on the PT Corona, but I'm not sure. This isn't really an issue for me as I can just cover the lamp with my hand as I turn it on, it takes less than a second to get the wanted level...

Bitmap:
I think most headlamps are too bright for checking equipment without loss of nightvision. Somebody proposed a PT Pilot which is a small (keychain sized)waterproof LED that fits PT headlamp straps. It replaces one of the buckles on the headlamp, and can be used as a small headlamp while on the strap. It is availible with red and white leds.
I think this or a good quality keychain is what fits this use best. And then you could use a normal headlamp for everything else.

Sverre

Skeeterbytes

Newly Enlightened
Yup, I'd like to see either mode memory or switching on to lowest level be the standard. I have a hunch they never do it because it looks lousy in the store during the day, where brightest=best.

The only headlamp I've used with mode memory is a Speleotec Nova. They at least prove it can be done.

You might try a Tactikka or Tactikka Plus, because they've got flipdown red filters even though they switch on at high. Also, the Primus PrimeLite A and AR switch on at red mode.

Skeeterbytes

Newly Enlightened
I forgot about the Pilot, which is dumb because I used a red one with an Eos last hiking season with good success. They make a great, lightweight combination. (I've also got a green one.) Mine fit on any 1-inch headlamp strap but they're not replacement buckles, they simply slide on. The switch is very easy to operate, even with gloves, and the ratcheting base puts the light where I want it. Much handier than a Photon with a Velcro dot.

NoFair said:
Somebody proposed a PT Pilot which is a small (keychain sized)waterproof LED that fits PT headlamp straps. It replaces one of the buckles on the headlamp, and can be used as a small headlamp while on the strap. It is availible with red and white leds.

Sverre

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skeeterbytes said:
I forgot about the Pilot, which is dumb because I used a red one with an Eos last hiking season with good success. They make a great, lightweight combination. (I've also got a green one.) Mine fit on any 1-inch headlamp strap but they're not replacement buckles, they simply slide on. The switch is very easy to operate, even with gloves, and the ratcheting base puts the light where I want it. Much handier than a Photon with a Velcro dot.

Oooops forgot about how the pilot was fastened. It replaces one of the wire clips and should fit most other headlamps as well. You should be able to fasten it to almost anything with a strp.... The only problem with it is I can't get it here in Norway and It's probably going to cost twice as much to get it shipped as the price of the Pilot....

Sorry bout the small shipping rant...

Sverre

Bitmap

Newly Enlightened
I must be dumb because I can't figure out how to quote a previous reply, so here is the brute force method:

"You might try a Tactikka or Tactikka Plus, because they've got flipdown red filters even though they switch on at high. Also, the Primus PrimeLite A and AR switch on at red mode."

I'll check these out.

I think I may buy something like a Streamlight Trident and see if I can't add a second switch to it myself.

As far as why manufacturers don't offer things like this, I believe they are adding features to sell stuff. I mean, 4 different levels is better than 3, and 5 is better than 4. Some of them have 8 or more output levels per flashlightreviews.com. Most people probably use 2 levels - one high (maybe from 40 to 100 lumens), one low (maybe from 2 to 30 lumens). What would really be nice is to have two output levels that I get to program, each with it's own switch so I can turn on either or both as I want to. I'd settle for having resistors as selection straps inside the light i.e. the value of R1 would set the low level output and the value of R2 would set the high level output. Then I wouldn't have to worry about it reprogramming itself.

Now that I've hijacked my own thread, are there any other options?

How about custom light makers/modifiers here on CPF? Do they build/modify headlamps?

Hoghead, that PT Pilot might be a good answer. I guess I could just get a small keychain light and use 2-sided tape or JB Weld or something to attach it to another headlamp.

InTheDark, thanks for the info.

Thanks again.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bitmap said:
I must be dumb because I can't figure out how to quote a previous reply, so here is the brute force method:

How about custom light makers/modifiers here on CPF? Do they build/modify headlamps?

InTheDark, thanks for the info.

Thanks again.

I thought about buying an Aleph 2 (head only) from McGizmo and using this on an older Petzl headband with a 4AA battery-pack, The Aleph2 has a great beam pattern and will allow a normal high and several (I think) resistored low levels. The lower levels could be used by having a 3 or more level switch with resistors..

Then the Apex came out and I'd already used my flashlight budget on a HDS, a Wolfeyes 9M and a few (many) diving lights.... But I think you could get just what you want this way if you take the effort...

Good luck

Sverre

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a BD Vectra IQ, and it does indeed remember the level.

I altered mine by using a BD Soliras bulb in mine with 4 nimh AAs. Runtime is over 2 hours. I also used Writeright on my lens to smooth out the beam, and presto, virtual elimination of artifacts that were noted on the review.

For all those led-only models out there, I say a hybrid is superior. Incans outthrow leds, and their color renditioning outside is vastly superior. Plus the BD Vectra IQ is regulated in both modes, with 3 brightness levels each. I calculate a good 55 lumens from the incan with a nice fat hotspot.

jenks

Newly Enlightened
I feel your pain...
I am still on a quest for the ultimate search and rescue (marine) headlamp for use on a boat. I want to have red LEDs to start then low white, then high white. It doesn't exist.
The old Photon fusion with all white leds does what you are looking for. Not the world's greatest execution of a concept but I am really fond of mine.

The new "Freedom" version is a little different. It's red LEDs ramp up from very dim to very bright as you hold the switch on but it takes a full second or so. That is a very long time when you are trying to hang on to the boat and do other stuff as well. The problem is is you just get one quick press of the button you get a lot of white light, right now.

The tac tikka is OK. The filter that flips up has a very small tab and is hard to use with gloves or cold fingers.
I am going to buy the Tikka XP and put in a red diffuser plate if I can find one.
That should work like a hot damn...at least I hope it will.
Jenks

Skeeterbytes

Newly Enlightened
Ah Grasshopper, the Primus A and AR do exactly that, and they're waterproof to boot (okay, at least immersible). The sequence is red, flood low, flood high, spotlight, flash.

jenks said:
I am still on a quest for the ultimate search and rescue (marine) headlamp for use on a boat. I want to have red LEDs to start then low white, then high white. It doesn't exist.
Jenks