Headlamp storage

Nell

Enlightened
How do people store their headlamps? I like flashlights as they store easily, but the straps on headlamps are difficult. I was planning on putting them in ziplock bags. Any better solutions?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My solution is to wind the headband around the light, then put a thick rubber band around the headband. It makes a neat compact package.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Often the headlamp will come with a small cloth or mesh bag. I store mine in small mesh bags when they are in my backpack. At home they are in bags or just lying around the house annoying my better half;)
(unless it's her own, then it doesn't seem to bother her....)

If your headlamps aren't waterproof then putting them in zip-lock bags when camping is a very good idea.
Zip-lock bags are also good for other stuff in your pack that you need to keep dry..

Sverre

greenLED

Flashaholic
mesh bag
make sure you take the batteries out, and if the batt compartment is sealed, leave it open during storage (so humidity from previous outings don't corrode stuff)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
the rubber band method works quite well... Where are you people getting these 'mesh bags' ? :)

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
Where are you people getting these 'mesh bags' ? :)

I just use the ones that hold the ditty bags I get from outdoors shops like REI. Of course the ditty bags are OK too. I've also got a couple in small plastic boxes that protect them well but are a bit bulky.

-LT

paulr

Flashaholic
I found a cute way to wrap the strap around my PT Aurora so it stays wrapped. I'll see if I can post a pic. It's a bit of a nuisance, not something you want to do all the time. One of these days I'll get a Petzl Zipka-type headlamp.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
I usually just stuff them in a pocket...
Tikka's and others without an over-the-head-strap can be worn around your neck; out of the way but ready in a moment. At home I just dangle them from doorknobs, bedposts, bicycle handlebars etc. Guess I'm never more than a step or two away from a headlamp, but then it is a small appartment :)

I have been thinking about getting one of the bigger phone holsters so I can wear a Tikka XP on my belt.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
For packing with other gear that might tangle, I have used a small nylon stuff sack that I got from a camping store. Similar in size/function to a sandwich sized ziplock bag, but more durable and easier to close.

But most of the time, I just stuff them bare in a pocket or wherever I need to put one. I do prefer the headlamp style with the batteries in the head unit instead of a separate rear battery pack, because those kind really are cumbersome to store and handle. But the Tikka-style ones are not a problem at all in most cases to just store loose. For a battery pack model, I would probably want a nylon stuff sack or equivalent.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a modular canvas tackle box/bag for stream fishing. Basically it's two square bags that zip together stacked and four small, removable side bags. I like it.

In the bottom or base bag they give you four lure trays. I don't need 48 extra lures with me. I removed two trays. I stuck a flat 4D "High Gain 500" lantern in a ziplock with bubble wrap. Did the same with a head lamp. Those replaced two of the four lure tray boxes. That worked OK for about a year or so but then the bottom bag got out of balance and shape.

Because of this thread I did what I've been meaning to do. I bought a rectangular shaped 1.1 gal Rubbermaid Serv-n-Saver. I put it in the bottom of the bottom pack. Now the flat lantern, head lamp, sandwich, crackers and more can go in it. The whole unit stands up straight like it should.

If Dave Letterman would like to play "Will It Float?" I'm betting that this canvas fishing bag will.