Mag 2c AAA mods?

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just playing with some D to 3AA adaptors and it occurred to me that you could fit 4 AAA cells in a 2c mag. If you took the tail cap out you can fit 3 sets of 4 AAA in there. Wouldn't 12 rechargeable AAA's drive an 1185 bulb? What kind of problems would I run into if I wanted to drive a super bulb off AAAs?

Even if it wouldn't, a stack of 4 AAA's is 6 volts and around 2800 mah. That's 8400 mah in a 2c mag instead of 2500 if you use 123's. So in theory couldn't you drive a 5 watt 2c mag for 3 times as long?

Does anyone know if someone makes a C to 4AAA adaptor?

This seems like it would work great with an nflex. Is there anyway to set nflex to a higher drive level?

Thanks,
-David

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks farmall.

Are there any Ican Wisemen out there listening?

If you could drive a WA 1185 off say 10-12 AAA's (nimh) you would have a torch that rivaled the M6. Better form factor (IMHO), just as bright, a fraction of the cost, and next to free batteries. Beam quality might not be as good but it would be a kickin' mod...

AuroraLite

Enlightened
A local flashaholic friend has made that 8 AAA to 2 C adapter for his light half a year or a longer while ago, it seems to work quite well for his lux modded light(IIRC, it was a lux modded light with nflex). It is for sure do-able, but the process of making such adapter does require careful execution of cutting and designing.

By design, the superbulb 8 AAA configuration is very possible, IMHO, the only concern is probably whether the battery resistance will be an issue or not.

For higher drive level Nflex, you could try talking to George to see whether he could custom made it for you. :)

jashhash

Enlightened
A problem with this mod is the run time. an AAA has about 1/3 the capacity of an AA, so if your light ran for 20 minutes before now it would run for about 7. Also the head of the C size mag is nearly the same size of the D size, so in the end the light isnt much smaller. But if you dont care about that go for it.

farmall

Enlightened
jashhash said:
A problem with this mod is the run time. an AAA has about 1/3 the capacity of an AA, so if your light ran for 20 minutes before now it would run for about 7. Also the head of the C size mag is nearly the same size of the D size, so in the end the light isnt much smaller. But if you dont care about that go for it.
That is why I mentioned the LUX mods. I think there would still be lots of usable runtime in a small package.

balazer

Enlightened
A couple of protected 18650 lithium ion cells will fit in a 2C Maglite, and has more than double the capacity of 8 AAA NiMH cells.