Black Diamond line -- your opinions

cognitivefun

Enlightened
They have some interesting headlamps. Regulated incandescent along with LEDs. Seems like a good idea.

I'm looking for an additional headlamp. I like a single pack rather than a separate battery pack. And I like using LEDs most of the time, or under driven luxeons, with the ability to use incandscent when throw is needed.

What are your feelings about the BD products?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like there product line. I have a Vectra IQ that I modded by using a Soliras 1A bulb and nimh batts. I also put writeright on the lens for smoothing out the artifacts. It did a nice job.

To me, this light has just about everything, like 3 levels incan, 3 levels led, all regulated. Lots of other cool features, too.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I switched from Petzl to Black Diamond some time ago. Been loving the Gemini :D Now that the new hybrids are out, I've been thinking about a Soliras, or a Zenix IQ. The IQ series have regulated output and a few other features. They have OK waterproofness.

phatalbert

Enlightened
I am dying to get my hands on a BD Spot. If someone would just buy one and review it I could return to normal life-functions until Christmas :sweat:

ventur154

Newly Enlightened
Ok, just picked one up from the local rei. At first glance it looked pretty sleek and stylish, like a polished up version of the EOS. Getting the batteries in was a pain, the illustrated method of twisting the pivot plate so it presses and pops the latch did not work well. There appeared to be no water resistant seal of any kind. The one main on/off switch has a pretty heavy mechanical feel accompanied by a loud click. Fully depressing the on/off switch will select the 1 LED spot beam, off, the 3 LED flood, and off again. Just slightly tapping the on/off switch will cycle you through high, med, low, and flash. Was very easy to skip past a setting by tapping, guess the switch had poor or no debounce. Medium and low beam selections appeared to be accomplished by strobing the light, not altering the brightness. The spot low setting produced some strange visual effects when you turn your head quickly, you can see the rows of light spots on the wall.

Last edited:

ventur154

Newly Enlightened
Front, looks nice...
BD-SPOT_front_640x480.jpg

Bending the backplate to pop the latch, felt like it was going to break
BD-SPOT_pop_640x480.jpg

Battery compartment, no weather seals
BD-SPOT_open_640x480.jpg

The 'strobe' effect visible at med and low settings
BD-SPOT_Swirl_640x480.jpg

Ok, thats one way to reduce the light output.
Not sure how long the shutter on my camera was open, 1 or 2 secs?
This is how motion looks on the wall...
BD-SPOT_wallspot_640x480.jpg

Comments?

Last edited:

ventur154

Newly Enlightened
Yup, I was thinking finally the best of both worlds the versatility of the XP and the utility of the EOS in the same size format. The most annoying thing is hunting for the right output setting. Many times the switch bounces past a brightness level and you have to go round again... and again cause you never really know where you are after it skips.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
opk well the battery pack on my moonlight has cracked in to places now so it is not even water resistant now if i drop it from een 6 inches the battery conections will bend and i have to fix it before the light will work again but its all good finally a product failure i have an excese to buy a PT eos

ventur154

Newly Enlightened
On the positive side...
I like the design of this unit, kind of like Eos meets Aurora.
The Aurora is PWM but never really noticed till now.
If BD ever improves upon the Spot, what a great headlamp to have.
Additional suggestion, a black version would be wicked.:rock:
Then Eos and XP would be done in my book.
(simulated picture)
BD-SPOT_front_640x480_bk.jpg

How many other PWM headlamps are out there?
And why would a manufacturer still use PWM?
Argo looks PWM.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Blingy25 said:
What is PWM?

Pulse Width Modulation. Basically, by making an LED blink incredibly fast, it appears dimmer than if it weren't blinking. A few headlamps use this, while others (like the EOS) acomplish multiple brightness levels by lowering the current to the LED. Supposedly, the advantage to PWM dimming is that the LED maintains the same color tint in all brightness levels, while dimming by adjusting the current can cause the the tint to shift as the light gets dimmer (I think it usually gets greener?). The disadvantage to PWM dimming is that the fastter you move, the more noticible the strobing is.

At least that's my understanding.