KL1 Mod Problem

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
Boy I screwed up here
frown.gif
. I have a 1st Gen KL1 that Chop moded for me last year . He droped in a TWOJ star and overdrove it to 700ma he also turned down a Mcr20 reflector for it .
Well I wanted to take that reflector out to drop it in one of my new mods , an E1e head bored out with a Aleph LE . I dident like the 17mm UMS reflector
and wanted to see how the turned down Mcr20 looked .
I heated it up to loosen the Loctite and was turning the bezel loose and thats when it happend . The lower threads on the body of the head were turning not the Bezel threads .
oops.gif

In doing this I ended up tearing off a peice on the board inside the head .
mad.gif
banghead.gif

Im not a too sharp on the electronics stuff so bare with me .

The part that was torn off is a very small copper coil . I dont know exactily what it is for , what I do know is the light no longer works . On top of this part is printed ( 180 FV ) .
Can someone help me out here
help.gif
. Can it be fixed or do I have to replace the whole board ? and if so how do you get the converter out without destroying the rest of the head ?

Thanks for any help .

Kenny

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bad luck, but maybe it can be fixed. That part is the inductor. If it broke off cleanly from the solder pads, you should be able to solder it back on. If it's not a clean break, and there is damage to the board, you can probably repair the damage and replace the inductor, but you have to examine the board carefully. If the inductor was broken in half, you can unsolder the old one and replace it with a new one. However, you do need good soldering skills and equipment. I believe the board can be removed by unsoldering it from the base at 3 places.
IMG_1190.jpg

I have not tried to find the source for this inductor myself, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. The 180 probably means 18 microhenries.

Last edited:

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
Hay Louie ,

Thanks , I was thinking it was an inductor . The two small copper wires broke off at the base and the base of the inductor is still on the board . I have allready found the three points you pointed out to unsolder to loosen the board , the two on the sides are for the ground and the one in the mittle is for the current from the battery .
I will first try to get the base of the inductor off the board , but I belive I will have to remove the whole board to get to the back side .
That should not be an easy task . Someone told me once that surefire clear coats their solder points and you first have to get through that before the solder will melt .
I`ll go for it this commong week when I have some time and see what happens .
Keep you poasted .

Kenny

Latest posts