Nuwai 0.5W lights

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been interested in the various 1xAA or 1xAAA 0.5W lights from Nuwai for quite a while but between the Fenix and the Q3, I didn't persue it too impatiently. Then when I picked up some of very similar River Rock 2xAAA lights from Target, I wanted to look back into the 1xAA 0.5W lights so I finally ordered one of each of the TM313X (single stage output with 1xAA) and TM317X (2 stage output with 1xAA). I ordered mine from j2ledflashlights.com though they are available from a number of reputable dealers.

First impression is these are a great value if bought in the combo package which is what I did. I'd still have to recommend the 2xAAA light for most users due to the slimmer design but the AA cells may have longer runtime depending on how effecient the voltage boost citcuits are in each light.

Size-wise and output-wise, the two 1xAA lights are very similar to the 2xAAA light from Target. The 2-stage light is the same length as the 2xAAA light, but larger diameter of course. It has solid tailcap and the switch is on the side. Click once for low, click again for high and once more for off. I'd prefer to have a tail clickie, but I'm not complaining. The low output isn't radically dimmer than the high, both are usable beams but all things considered, I'd rather have a lower 'low' mode.

The single stage 1xAA light is a fair bit shorter, but the head is larger in diameter and some folks may not like that. It would seem that the larger diameter reflector would give more throw, but this isn't readily visible, at least not to my eyes... Also it seems the 2 stage on high is the brightest of all three lights by a small margin. It has a tail clickie.

Overall, I like all of them and as I said, I will still recommend the 2xAAA light to non flashlight junkies both because of small diameter and the fact that they are readily available from a local store for a great price.

As an aside, I have two black River Rocks and one silver. When I ordered the Nuwai lights, I ordered one black and one silver, but the finish of the 'silver' expecting the same silver as my River Rock but the Nuwai is actually a much darker 'titanium' color which is VERY nice, my favorite of thee three finishes by FAR.

Again, I ordered mine from j2ledflashlights.com from their 'combo package' found here. The package I wanted (the 1 stage 1xAA and the 2 stage 1xAA) wasn't available but the owner sent me an invoice via paypal for a reduced cost combo to my liking. He was very friendly and helpful and I look forward to ordering from in in the future and recommending others to do so as well.

I'll try to get some indoor and outdoor beamshots this evening or sometime over the weekend.

IMG_1834a.jpg

freedom

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the informative reviews. It would be nice if you can get some beamshots for us.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. By the way, regarding the 2 different light levels on the 2-stage light and the fact that they are close to the same brightness-- The River Rock .5W headlamp has the same issue and probably the same electronics. It has been theorized on the forum that the 2 modes on the headlamp are probably a direct drive mode and a step-up mode. This is based on current readings and output at different voltage inputs. This makes a lot of sense and the benefit is that you get the option of an especially long run time in low or direct drive mode while still getting the option of full brightness in high or step-up mode when desired (at the cost of some runtime). When running lower voltage batteries such as NiMH or just weak alkaline cells, you will notice a much more pronounced difference in brightness levels, which is nice. The difference in brightness between the levels when running alkaline cells may also give you a rough indication of remaining battery life.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a beamshot junkie so they will definately follow, most likely tonight.

All my experiences have been based on using Energizer 2500 NiMH cells but now that you mention possibly having a larger difference between low and high with lower voltages/run down cells, I'll be sure to try that specifically.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots... On top is the River Rock 2xAAA, next is the TM313X followed by the TM317X on low and finally the TM317X on high.

IMG_1775%20River%20Rock%202xAAAa.jpg

IMG_1853%20TM313a.jpg

IMG_1854%20TM317%20Lowa.jpg

IMG_1855%20TM317%20Higha.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of the three lights listed. They're fine. Nothing spectacular. They go in the utility drawer for emergencies or walking the dog. Plenty of cheaper lights available that might be made better. My two stage AA light has threads that feel cross-threaded, so the twisty operation is bunk.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, they aren't spectacular or anything, but I think they're a decent value... At about $10 each, I can't think of many ready to go lights that are better and cheaper... except maybe the XNovas and Ghosts.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree completely cratz2 (bought same lights from same sources. weird...). I only have the older Xnova's but these beat those hands down for sturdiness and form factor. I think the nuwai's are very useful, best value, general purpose small lights.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, what's missing from the lineup is a small head/reflector single AA light. I mean, the AAA lights are nice and trim but the AA lights have this big ole buggy looking head.

I think if they made a light exactly like the TM313, but with a smaller diameter head and with a tailcap that provided high and low outputs, they'd be on to something.

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened
Lurker said:
Thanks for the review. By the way, regarding the 2 different light levels on the 2-stage light and the fact that they are close to the same brightness-- The River Rock .5W headlamp has the same issue and probably the same electronics. It has been theorized on the forum that the 2 modes on the headlamp are probably a direct drive mode and a step-up mode. This is based on current readings and output at different voltage inputs. This makes a lot of sense and the benefit is that you get the option of an especially long run time in low or direct drive mode while still getting the option of full brightness in high or step-up mode when desired (at the cost of some runtime). When running lower voltage batteries such as NiMH or just weak alkaline cells, you will notice a much more pronounced difference in brightness levels, which is nice. The difference in brightness between the levels when running alkaline cells may also give you a rough indication of remaining battery life.

Can't be the same boot circuit, the headlamp operates off 2 cells and the 2 stage 317 operates off 1 cell. 1 cell won't direct drive a white LED, so it must be a lower boost mode in the 317.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
From the beamshots posted above, the River Rock 2AAA seems to be the best of the bunch. I'd agree, as I had a pair of them with me on a weeklong backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. I'd set them up at different angles pointing at my campsite to light up the area so I could pitch my tent.

The moon didn't rise until 4am the week I was there, so as soon as the sun went down, it was pitch BLACK down there. Nearest city lights are Las Vegas, more than 250 miles away, so no light pollution.

I started with fresh Rayovac alkalines in the lights, and never had to change the batteries during my trip.

Even my Princeton Tec Eclipse 2 light seemed like a generator powered searchlight in that depth of darkness.

Last edited:

Coop57

Enlightened
I picked up a River Rock 2AAA at Target about a month ago. Very nice light, narrow beam, nice bright white light. Only improvement would be a clicky tail switch. :naughty:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TM313X also. Purchased from J2LED aswell. Its been my EDC since the summer. I really like it. I too thought about a smaller head on the same model. I also ended up using it at work when my primary light went down. The finish is not chemical resistant, as I found out while working on a biocide pump. It just ate it right off. Im wanting to pick up the AAA version next. Have you guys seen the new silvre version of the Q3? Nice.

http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/tm303x_silver.html

Newly Enlightened
I have a few of the Nuawi .5W AAA lights. Last weekend I received a couple of 1xAAA from star-bright over on B/S/T. Nice little lights as is. Of course having two of anything means taking one apart, I then bored the body for an N cell and made a spacer to accomodate the extra length. I put on it the modified tailcap I had made a while back as I used it tailstanding for the past few days. I took a modified 2xAAA head and then I found a Dorcy 1xAAA board, and exchanged the LED from the original Nuawi. There is enough room with the board and the N cell and I am working on a more secure board mount (does work as just a drop in). The original 1xAAA had a better beam than the Dorcy and there is no dark blue corona. I am not a clickie fan. Now for a two stage tailcap.....

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coop, a forum member has described how to make a DIY clickie... I think it was attowatt.

I don't know about that silver Q3. The green one is pretty cool... but I think if I was going to persue an alternative finish, I'd just send it in to the natural HAIII project going on over in the custom light forum or groupbuy forum.

zapper

Enlightened
I bought the combo that includes the 1xAAA (310h) and 2 stage 1xAA (317x) also from J2led. They do have a distinctive blue tint though which may or may not bother you. The 1xAAA is brighter than all the other 1xAAA lights I have seen or used (havent used the Arc AAA premium) and is almost exactly the same size as a tube of chapstick. With a lithium battery it is just as light and unnoticeable in my jean or dress pants pocket. I carry it every where every day and the clip is very useable with a suit coat pocket. The 317x is almost twice the size and I use it as a 2D replacement. The low beam, to me, is about the same brightness as the 1xAAA but more focussed, brighter hotspot. On high, it is about twice as bright and has twice the throw. I like the switch where it is. My thumb falls right on it when I carry it naturally. With a tail switch you would have to carry it in the unnatural underhand carry to switch it with your thumb. Oh well, to each their own! Good lights, good review above and good pictures! I'm going to get the 2xAAA now!:wave:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two N cells fit perfectly in the 1 AA light. Im not sure what the specs are for the emitter but it makes it alot brighter. The v being supplied is about 3.7v I just need to get some mA readings.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't know how long they would last and I don't plan on running them long enough to find out, but the 1xAA lights certainly do get brighter on 2 N cells... The low of the 2 stage becomes brighter than the 2xAAA River Rock. And the 2 stage light on high with the 2 N cells becomes a LOT brighter than the single stage on 2 N cells.