Adjustable focus LED flashlights?

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

Are there any LED flashlights with adjustable focus like a Mag Light? I suppose I might even be interested in an incandescent small 2xCR123 or other light with at least 45 lumens output with an adjustable focus and decent beam quality.

Thanks.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to look into maglights with LED mods. You can get just about any size mag modified to LED. A minimag with a sandwitch (converter + LED) makes a great light.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You might also wanna think about lights with multiple light sources that can simulate adjustyble focus ... think SF A2 with a floody low mode (3x5mm LED) and a further reaching high mode (incan 50+ lm).
bernhard

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xe54 said: "...Are there any LED flashlights with adjustable focus like a Mag Light? I suppose I might even be interested in an incandescent small 2xCR123 or other light with at least 45 lumens output with an adjustable focus and decent beam quality..."

Very few LED lights are adjustable focus. One of the few is the Elektrolumens Blaster series: http://elektrolumens.com/4_SALE/For_Sale.html

I've had many, many Mag-Lites, and personally I think adjustable focus is overrated, and variable output (or 2-stage output) is underrated.

I have many fixed-focus LED lights and a good fixed beam pattern is useful in many situations. I think variable output is generally more useful than adjustable focus.

A small 2xCR123A incandescent light with adjustable focus is the Streamlight Scorpion. It's not expensive and a good light. However I've had the fixed-focus Scorpion LED, and despite having less output and fixed focus it's also very useful. Beautiful beam pattern.

A fairly low cost variable output LED light is the Vari-Brite 52L: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/britestuff_vari-brite52l.htm

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the cheap end of the spectrum, the old Costco 2AA Luxeon (if you can find any) upgraded with a reflector and glass lens is a focusable 1W LED light. While not a flashlight, the RR 1/2 watt 2AAA headlamp is $15, 2 level, and focuses over a wide range. You could just take the strap off.