Noob Q: What does Tactical mean?

pschlosser

Newly Enlightened
My wife asked me this question, last night, and I'll be durned if I had an answer: What makes a flashlight "tactical" ?

Is it the tail clicky?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of it like this... if an ordinary citizen that has a computer job dresses all in black with lots of ballistic nylon and a military haircut for seemingly no reason at all and talks as if he wants to be in the Marines, then the light he carries is likely to be tactical.

'Tactical' is sort of a subculture, like the hippies were in the 60s.

A tail clickie is where the switch that turns the light off and on is on the end opposite the shiny end... That sort of requires the holder to hold the light overhanded with his thumb on the end... MUCH more cool than just the clickie being on the side of the light.

icon14.gif

In all seriousness though... a tactical product is one that is supposedly designed and intended for rough military or police use. There are usually sharp angles throughout rather than rounded edges.

Last edited:

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
The word "Tactical" does not imply or describe any specific features, instead it is just a marketing buzz word. When a company markets something as "Tactical" they are usually impyling one or more of the following.

- That it is designed for "High Speed Operators" like black ops units, military, and LEO's.

- That it is meant for rough field use.

- That it has features for field use not found on normal comparable models.

- That it is meant to be stealthy.

Usually one or more of the above is what they implying by labeling something as "Tactical" but bear in mind "Tactical" does not refer to anything specific and it can mean simply that it is just black in color. It's just a marketing term.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
In flashlight terms, i read it to mean "bright enough to temporarily blind or disorientate someone". According to Surefire who i *think* came up with this concept, that's 60 lumens and up.

Ergonomics plays a part too, its no good having to fumble for the switch whilst you're under pressure.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
It is a marketing term. If they wanted to do so the people who make a little keychain light could call them tactical because they are easy to fit in your pocket. There really isnt a definition, except for what Webster says, which all in all, doesnt have much to do with flashlights.

BigBaller

Enlightened
Sorry that was more my definition of tactical in general. Like Wiseman said, its a marketing term.
A tactical flashlight, hmm, I think that flashy, pineapple grenade handled thing with the razor bezel would qualify, though I have doubts about its usability. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I Had 5 bucks everytime someone used tactical about a light on CPF I would have a nice tactical hummer :naughty:

going by what has already been noted, I agree a tough light with a back switch, waterproof, and 60+ lumens is close enough.
What I do find funny is the many comments I have seen like "this Light comes on at full brightness, thats not tactical" or some other failing on a light. doesn't matter which brand)

I saw a show of with either seals or some SP-OPS team training/demoing the skills, It was crazy showed them crossing a creek from the other sides tree line to poping up on the near side ready for freddie, and you couldn't see or even hardly hear them. like they were there by magic! I did notice some that didn't turn on weapon light's that they took some SF looking light's laying them against there clothing and activating them. then use them. No need for two way

so much for the "this would be a bad design, or a good design for a "tactical" light" I pretty much quit paying attention to anyone
besides my nephew what a "tactical light" is. (he's a Abrams tank gunner in Iraq) so thats my 2 cents forwhat it's worth. VDG

Kiessling

Flashaholic
:D

Tactical should mean "suitable for military operations et al." and will encompass lots of characteristics that are needed for such an environment, be it quality-wise or ergonomics. When you look at lights from Surefire or NightOps you will notice that there's more behind the word "tactical" than a cool sound.
Unfortunately as already pointed out it is quite hip to have "tactical" gear these days, and so a lot of manufacturers jump on that bandwagon with lesser or just plain different products, thus diluting the term and making it more and more worthless.

For example ... some LedLenser lights are marked "tactical" and "for special forces" ... which is not even a joke, it is plain BS.

bernie

P.S.: a few examples of "tactical" features of a light: shock isolation, momentary switch, special grips for weapon techniques, the strobe of the Gladius, ultra-rugeddness, ...

UVvis

Enlightened
"Tactical" is heavily overused.

5.11 who makes mountain climbing clothes, police/emt type uniforms and the lot also makes tactical shoelaces.

I want to make and market a line of strategic lights.

Generally though, today's use of the word tactical means equipment more than actual tactics, which is sad. The reference to how it is deployed is becoming less important.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
EDIT: This question was asked recently.

"Tactical" is a more mature version of "extreme."

"Extreme" is the buzzword for the 14-23 male demographic; "Tactical" is for the 24+ male demographic.

Anything that's designed for real tactical use will have a few key attributes: reliability, effectiveness, simplicity. The product must function well under less-than-ideal circumstances and be simple enough to use effectively under stress. These attributes exclude most of the multi-brightness, multi-function lights.

A momentary-on tailswitch is typically a requirement - can be located instantly and allows for quick momentary used without much concentration.

High brightness is good in some situations ... low output good in others.

I'm sure there are other qualifiers.

Last edited:

pschlosser

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Great responses. My wife found them interesting, too. She wants me to buy her a Fenix for Christmas. =)

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I like the way idleprocess explained his version above the best. It is also my opinion that tactical simply means suited for duty use or combat situations. The more simple the better in my opinion and more features does not always mean more tactical.
Under stress even the best can get confused and in combat situations confusion will get you killed. What will also get you hurt is faulty or sub par equipment so a tactical light must be reliable if nothing else.
I am not saying that the multi function lights with all kinds of features and novelty type functions are less of a light however in a true combat arena they have little meaning in my opinion.
I work in a fairly active area with several hostile situations each week. In almost 9 years in marked patrol I have yet to need my main light for anything other than simply a bright tool. I have never needed to just "barely" see an enemy or threat so no other level of light was needed. I have other small lights that are easily carried so a low level is not hard to have when I need it and a main light with a 2 stage switch or even 15 different levels is not practical nor tactical to patrol.
Military use may be different however for patrol a true tactical light is simply a very simple,bright and reliable package. Rechargeable is almost a must have for patrol use also however for a civilian with limited usage needs there are many lights that could be adequate for carry and still be called "tactical"

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have answered this question a bunch of times--and never the same way twice! Gotta keep the streak alive. . .

Lately, (having been very bored at work), I have been thinking about what makes a flashlight NOT tactical. I mean, the Army has been using the Fulton anglehead forever and Maglites are a staple of police agencies. Surefire is starting to make an appearance, but is still relatively uncommon.

So a flashlight is NOT tactical if it. . .

. . .requires two hands to turn it on or off. Minimags, C. Cranes, some Pelican lights and some dive lights are difficult to turn on with one hand. Under stress, running after someone, it's not going to happen. Having said that, I have used all of the above in law enforcement and the Army.

. . .attaches to your head. Having a convienient aiming point on your head for your enemy is not tactical.

. . .is really dim. Some of my coworkers carry a Inova X5T(actical). That won't light up much beyond 10 yards. If the bad guy is 15 yards away. . .

. . .is too big to carry easily. Spotlights would be great if I didn't have to run, climb, crawl, jump, fight, dodge, draw, search, handcuff, get in and get out. Having said that, I have used a spotlight during one pursuit on the ocean.

. . .costs more than $50. I'm only partly kidding. Soldiers who clear dark buildings and caves earn a very low salary. LEOs make more, but still, just the idea of spending $250 and up for the best "tactical" flashlights makes them laugh out loud. If they get issued the stuff, great, but otherwise, Mag Instruments gets their business.

Darell

Flashaholic
It isn't what you've got. It's how you use it.

But then that comes from a guy who: wouldn't know "tactical" if it bit him in the butt.