G&P's newest tactical: 12V miniturbo

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thread about a recently purchased 4x123A light got my curious what G&P has been up to. A bit of exploring turned up a new member of their T series: the X-12, a miniturbo sibling of the T-12.

The T-9's miniturbo sibling, the 9S, has been renamed the X-9. It's also available from LEDWave and Camillus as the Z-3. Like the Z-3, the four G&Ps all use a plastic lens and a twistie with a momentary push-ON mode.

The X-9 and X-12 are currently available on eBay (as the "X9" and "X12"). At $70 shipped to USA, the X-12 is the most affordable route I know of for a 220-lumen 12V Surefire-compatible flashlight. If you want to run it on three Pila 150S cells (or Wolf Eyes 150B), you'll need to add a Surefire A20 half-cell extender. Alternatively, you can add an A19 to an X9, but you'll need to buy a 12V G&P lamp assembly from Emilion, TradeDigit, Digilight USA, or one of the many "airsoft" online dealers in Asia.

Together with the company's 1W or 3W LED module, 5W tactical LED head, or 5W miniturbo LED head, G&P has a versatile lineup, particularly in the 9V sweet spot, where a single body can host a xenon tactical head, a xenon miniturbo head, or any of four combinations of LED module and head.

For longer runtimes, use the X-12 or T-12 with a 9V lamp assembly or 5W LED module and two 168S or 17670 cells.

Digilight USA offers upscale versions of the G&P xenon products, with glass lenses and robust tactical clickie switches.

Last edited:

Action

Enlightened
Are G&P lights fully compatible with Surefire stuff? Say I wanted to attach a SRTH or KT2 head to the X-12 body, would this work OK? What if I wanted to attach (2) A19 extenders to this body to run 3 x 17670 batteries to the 12V light? Are the G&P bodies the same diameter as the 6P or 9P lights? Any chance that they could take a 18XXX battery without boring?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the WGC shop is mainly an airsoft site, but they sure have a lot of lights! I wasn't able to find that part of the website from the main page, for some reason. That turbo head that Paul in Maryland was linking to is also sold on the website as a 5W luxeon head($54). I wonder if it's a 'performer'? They also have 3 and 5w heads that look a lot like the Bug Out Gear heads.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
At those prices some of their products would make a nice addition to my duty bag as a spare light. For some reason I can not find any prices on the G&P main web site listed in your post.
Just when I thought I had narrowed down my recent search for a better duty light I find these. I like the looks and simple designs of these lights.
Is this the company that makes the Rico 9 lamp assembly?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
So many questions!

For some context, see my review of the LEDWave Z-3.

Trashman, the light sold at you link is the older G&P 9S. It's the same light, but without the antiroll bezel and without the large knurls (easy to turn) on the tail switch.

Action, G&P's T series is completely compatible with Surefire's P series. I use the following Surefire parts on my Z-3: Z-49 clickie tail switch; A19 or A14 extender; Z44 tactical head; tailcap lanyard ring; bezel lanyard ring. Also the Z34 diffuser and orange tailcap, but these don't count because they're used on the Surefire head. The point is, if a part will fit a 9P, it'll fit the body of any of the G&P lights named above. I'm thinking of buying a second A19 to use three 168S cells with the 12V lamp. I currently use two 168S cells or three 150S cells; they fit fine, but sorry, there's no way the body can take 18xxx cells.

Trashman, G&P does, indeed, make the 3W and 5W modules for Bugout Gear. G&P's 41mm miniturbo reflector does a beautiful job focusing the beam of their xenon lamps; I assume that both 5w LEDs use the exact same reflectors as the xenon heads, except that when you buy the LED module/head I think you get a glass lens.

Speaking of lenses, the lens of the xenon miniturbo head pops right out. I tried replacing it with the glass from a 39mm UV multicoated lens filter, but the glass was too small. I've since bought 43 and 43.5mm filters but haven't yet sawed them open to extract the glass.

Robocop, G&P does not make RICO's Alpha 9 lamp assembly. RICO is a competitor; another company--I think one with "laser" in their name--is said to make the RICO lamp; I wrote to them to ask if it's true and where could I buy the lamp Stateside, but they didn't reply.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I linked to is the 3 cell version of the X-12, then, right? The head looks exactly the same. So, actually, if these lights are still using the G & P 'G' or the Surefire 'P' series lamp assemblies, then these turbo heads aren't really any larger and don't really turbo anything, right?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman said:
The one I linked to is the 3 cell version of the X-12, then, right? The head looks exactly the same.
3-cell version, yes; X-12, no. In your link, the tailcap is slimmer. Also, I think the X-9 and X-12 have antiroll heads, while the 9S did not. Also, G&P claimed 175 lumens for the 9S, but claims just 120 lumens fo rthe X-9 and Z-3. Truth be told, the G&P lumen ratings are all over the map; I can't tell whether G&P gets confused or dealers make copy-and-paste errors. In the Z-3 listings, no mention is made of using "high pressure" xenon lamp. The X-9 does claim to use high-pressure xenon, but it's rated the same low 120 lumens, not the 175 lumens claimed by the 9S and Digilight USA T9.

Trashman said:
So, actually, if these lights are still using the G & P 'G' or the Surefire 'P' series lamp assemblies, then these turbo heads aren't really any larger and don't really turbo anything, right?
Wrong. The T-9 and T-12 use lamp assemblies designed for 1.25-inch heads. The X-9 and X-12 use the same bulb but the sputtered aluminum reflector is MUCH wider(38mm, as I recall) and the head (bezel) is 1.62 inches (41mm), like the Streamlight TL-3. See my LEDWave review for comparison photos. The X-9 and X-12 throw much farther than the T-9 and T-12.

Action

Enlightened
Just another few quick questions. If you were to compare say the X-9 vs. the current Surefire 9P, what would be your comments on the differences between these two lights? Also, how much nicer are the Digilight USA versions? What is the switch like vs the Surefire setup? Would you happen to know if you can just buy the 4 x 123 tube?

Thanks for posting this and all the info! I've been looking for a 4 x 123 tube...

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Action said:
Just another few quick questions. If you were to compare say the X-9 vs. the current Surefire 9P, what would be your comments on the differences between these two lights?
Nearly anything I have to say about these lights can be found in my Z-3 review. Of course, the X-9 comes with a miniturbo, a head not even offered in the Surefire C/D/P lineup. A more apples-to-apples comparison would be the T-9 vs. 9P.

Advantages of the T-9 are lower cost, a brighter bulb, a twistie with a momentary switch, and the fact that you can buy a Z-9 and turn it into a glass-lens T-9 by adding a $22 Surefire Z44 head! (Neither brand will sell you the miniturbo head/bezel alone).

the only advantage of the 9P that comes to mind is the glass lens. I suppose some would say that the P90's beam more even. You can't use a P91 lamp assembly in the stock T-9's plastic-lens bezel. The Z-3 claims to use HA-III coating; I don't see this claim in the G&P-branded models, so I'm guessing they don't have hard anodize.

Action said:
Also, how much nicer are the Digilight USA versions?
Other than the glass lens and well-built clickie, I'd guess not at all. However, Digilight USA tested their tactical lineup with law enforcement officers (LEOs).

Action said:
What is the switch like vs the Surefire setup?
The stock switch is a twistie. My Z49 clickie tailcap cost me about $35.

Action said:
Would you happen to know if you can just buy the 4 x 123 tube?
You can't. But I urge you to get the Z-9 or Z-12 miniturbo and see how nicely it throws. My Z-3 gives my TL-3 a run for its money in the throw department. In fact, I dare say the Z-3's hot spot outthrows it but the TL-3's entire beam is nearly as bright as the Z-3's hot spot.

Action said:
Thanks for posting this and all the info! I've been looking for a 4 x 123 tube...
At these prices with a miniturbo head, the LEDWave Z-3 + A-19 tube, G&P Z-9 + A19 tube, or Z-12 would be a steal. I only wish I could find a traffic cone that fits these heads; I'm looking...

Action

Enlightened
Since I'm really only interested in the tube, do you have a good place to get the T-12 at a good price (I'm assuming that its less expensive than the X-12)?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only places I've seen the T-12 sold is airsoft dealers in Asia. I believe it sells for about $80. If you're in the USA or Europe, any savings will be wiped out by an exhorbitant shipping fee.

I know, it's frustrating for Yanks that no one sells a T-12 tube within the USA.

I'd go to Lighthound's site (Surefireparts on eBay) and order a Surefire 9P tube + Surefire A19 extender. I think the total will be $60 plus shipping.

Well, I just thought of something else: on Ebay, the 4x123A Ultrafire Duo G120 sold by TradeDigit is a standout bargain at about $40 shipped. From its name, I'm guessing it's built on G&P's G12 platform...but with a glass lens! It even has a reverse clickie.

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
Slightly off-topic, but do you know a source in the US for the LEDwave "duo" led/xenon (Aviator type) lights?

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those Ultrafire lights aren't too shabby, from what I can tell. I got a two cell version last week and put a P61 in it. I light it a lot. Even the two cell version has a glass lens. I'm wondering, does Surefire make a 4-cell lamp assembly that is the same size as the 'P' series?

Paul in Maryland, G & P ought to hire you as a spokes person! You seem to know everything about their products.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Paul-

Great info as always. Don't know how you keep all this stuff sorted.

I think the best price based deal out there is the UltraFire 12V. $41 shipped. But, no miniturbo. So my next thought becomes, will the 12V range extender from Digilight fit? It seems to be the only separately available miniturbo.

If it does, add the Z49 and you have a neat setup with both heads and lamps for about $120.

Mark

Action

Enlightened
I believe that Emilion sells the Ultrafire range as well. When I contacted him previously about compatibility with Surefire heads and tailcaps, he said that the Ultrafire range could only use the bulb assemblies (P90, P91, P60, P61), not any of the regular attachments.

Its looking like the X-12 is the relative bargain, I was hoping to find a T-12 for less, but its looking like its not possible...

wquiles

Flashaholic
Paul,

I have read all of your posts above and I am "still" confused about all of the possible units combinations that work and not with regular SF parts.

This is what I understand so far:
- The X-12 and T-12 are the same unit, but the X-12 has the mini turbo head, and both interchange parts with the SF units. Does this include the SF lamps?

- The T-9 and T-12 use lamp assemblies designed for 1.25-inch heads. The X-9 and X-12 use the same bulb but the sputtered aluminum reflector is MUCH wider. So again, does this means that the SF lamps (P90/92 for the 3xcell) fit all of these?

Then there are higher quality variations of these with glass lenses, but some that don't share the interchangeability with the SF units. And that is when I get lost :(

Would it be too much to ask for a simple table that lists which models are compatible with what?

Thanks in advance,

Will

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:
Hi Paul-

Great info as always. Don't know how you keep all this stuff sorted.
I'm able to do so because the G&P lineup is so concise and rational!

Flash_Gordon said:
I think the best price based deal out there is the UltraFire 12V. $41 shipped. But, no miniturbo. So my next thought becomes, will the 12V range extender from Digilight fit? It seems to be the only separately available miniturbo.
Sorry, the answer is No. I own Digilight's 12V range extender head AND the similar head that came with the LEDWave Z-3. Guess what? My Digilight head won't fit the Z-3!! I think though, that the new 12v Digilight heads will fit it. Their first generation didn't even fit Diglight's own 9V head. But to summarize, no G&P-made miniturbo head will fit the Ultrafires. Period.

The cheapest way to get a 4x123a, 12v, 227-lumen, glass-lens, clickie-equipped, Surefire-compatible light is to buy the $100 T12 from Digilight! If only Digilight offered the miniturbo in stock form, and not solely as a $37 option.

If someone can confirm that a glass lens comes in every G&P 3W and 5W LED head (tactical and miniturbo), that would be great.