Gladius -- strobe effectiveness?

tm3

Newly Enlightened
anyone have a sense of how effective (effective meaning temporarily disturbing night-adapted vision) the strobe setting of the gladius is compared to other lights with high/low options like the SF A2 and L2, or for that matter a 6P or 9P with the high output bulb options?

thanks!

johns

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering how fast the strobe is ?

The HDS says its stobe flashes 1x/second - I assume the Gladius is a lot faster ?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a little real world testing (with the aid of my wife). This was done outside at a park where we were camping. We allowed my night vision to recover some between each stage of the testing. Very subjective testing.

-My wife, standing roughly 20 ft away, turns on the strobe function while pointing the light at me.
My night vision is instantly toast and although I could certainly tell where the strobe was, I had no idea what my wife's physical location was in relation to the strobe. I could look at the light from that distance but it was very unpleasant. I probably would have instinctively charged, thrown something, or shot at, the light itself - so if it was held away from the body I would have likely missed my target.

-My wife repeats the test from roughly 10ft away.
All of the above holds true except I can no longer look at the light and was forced to either close my eyes or look away. I can see that momentary distraction being very useful to law enforcement (shock effect). I would have LOVED to have that function when I was a LEO.

-My wife repeats the test from roughly 10ft away and then rushes me while the strobe is on.
This was the shocker. I never "felt" disoriented, but apparently I lost my depth perception along with my night vision because my wife was able to run the 3-4 steps up to me and tap me on the shoulder and I was SURE that she was still standing back. It absolutely startled the crap out of me!

In LEO terms, it seems like you might (under the right conditions of course) be able to run right up and mace (or whatever) someone at point blank. Boy would that have been nice.

An additional note. In the past I've blasted Deer, Racoons, Fox, Dogs, Cats, and a young Bear with a Magcharger and/or the high power mode of an L2. The usual reaction was to stare at me. With the Gladius strobe there -tends- to be more of a look away and then wander away reaction (at least from Racoons and Dogs). It's not like they run away but they do seem to back off.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the strobe is a few hertz.

As for effectiveness, when you are approached by a strobing Gladius, you are doing well to track the location of the light. You cannot see anything else.

My wife and I strobed each other while approaching. Her eyes got REALLY BIG and her hands instinctively went out in front to brace for impact when I was maybe 15 feet away. I strobed my 90-lb German shepherd, and he ran away. I think you could thwart a dog bite with the light. All you can see is the flashing light, and you have a very poor ability to track it and predict its path.

Not a weapon, but an extremely effective disorientation tool.

Scott

edit o add: My dog probably reacted to hearing my approaching footsteps and could not locate me otherwise. I think you will make animals uncomfortable by strobing them, since you remove their ability to see in your direction. They may opt to leave because of that. Animals generally do not like to be in positions where their senses are impaired, and will relocate to a better position. I think that is what my dog was doing.

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flupic chip in a Jil DD has a very nice adjustable strobe also 4-15 hz. Around $40 + Jil. Works great. Can be user set to instantly activate.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm only guessing here, but it would seem as though the strobe's effectiveness would be determined by the bad guy's demeanor. One might think you have a taser (especially if you were yelling that at him, which I would), one may become compliant, and another may try to take if from you and cram it up your cakehole. In a low light environment, I think its safe to say that at a minimum, it would at least briefly disorient a determined bad guy allowing you to run, deliver a baton to the coconut, or whatever was required.

I did find last week that it will cause an unhappy chihuahua to call off the attack and exfiltrate. :)

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle said:
I'm only guessing here, but it would seem as though the strobe's effectiveness would be determined by the bad guy's demeanor. . . .

More like his physiology. The chemical in your retinals that allows you to see light is flushed out with each flash. Before your retinas can recharge enough to see, another strobe comes along and flushes them out.

Literally all your retinas can detect in that direction is the strobe.

The situation on the receiving end is analogous to me waiting for my wife to finish orchestra practice. I sit and read down the hall in a waiting area, and then the janitor comes along and turns off the lights. That's pretty much it for my reading regardless of what I do. (Ok, assume I am NOT carrying two lights, I am just a "flashlight civilian" here.)

My demeanor plays a part in how I react, but not whether I can see. So it is with opponents being strobed. They might let out a kamikaze yell and try to slash you to death (blindly) or they might wet their pants and go home crying. But regardless of what they do they will not be able to see you effectively through the strobe.

Scott

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the idea of a Gladius strobe, you'll LOVE the idea of a Tigerlight OC. When the bright light is removed from the subject's face, the reaction of the target is to try to reacquire visual contact with you - eyes facing you, wide open to overcome the bright TL lamp, completely unaware that the back of your flashlight, which is now pointed at him, is an OC system. So, if they charge at you, they are moving directly and vulnerably into defense mode #2, the OC.

Luna

Enlightened
beezaur said:
My wife and I strobed each other while approaching. Her eyes got REALLY BIG and her hands instinctively went out in front to brace for impact when I was maybe 15 feet away.

I'm sorry but my mind is not where it should be.

UVvis

Enlightened
You have to see it to get it.

It is fast enough that if you are using it, it doesn't mess you up to bad, unless you are moving in a very dynamic environment (trees).

It is slow enough that the person you are using it against has their eyes freaking out trying to adapt to it.

For disrupting night adapted vision, it is as good as a 6P, 9P and A2. I'd say that the Gladius outperforms the L2 due to beam intensities, most L2's are lacking a big in this regard, they have a wall of light where the gladius has excellent throw.

It's overall ability will be related to the users abilities and awareness of the situation. I'd rather have a Gladius over the 6P, L2, and A2 easy. The 9P or similar output Z3 or M3 vs the Gladius, I'd say that the gladius is easier to use effectively due to the strobe, but they can be pretty well matched.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone compared the effectiveness of the Gladius vs the USL? I think we would be talking the difference between disorientation (Gladius) vs pain and blindness (USL)

Luna

Enlightened
JimH said:
Has anyone compared the effectiveness of the Gladius vs the USL? I think we would be talking the difference between disorientation (Gladius) vs pain and blindness (USL)

Strobe is fine on the Gladius but its effect doesnt seem consistent (though that may not be a problem with the unsuspecting). You never know when a MDMA crazed raver or old school DISCO junky is gonna attack you. I doubt they would be fazed by the gladius strobe (but it might be funny if they start dancing)

The massive wall of light and pain of the MC85 isn't so easy to shrug off if in a night adapted state, so I'd say it is more effective. That means the USL would have to take the cake. If they are close enough you can burn their retinas out (and lids, eyelashes,etc)

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess what I was trying to get across with the physiology comment was that the Gladius has an uncontrollable effect on the subject -- it causes the subject to be unable to see. How the user exploits that opportunity, and what the subject does about the new situation is a matter of behavior.

In my opinion, all talk about a flashlight "doing something" to someone is quite a ways off the mark. Flashlights don't "do" anything to you. They just cause you to be unable to see -- much more effectively than a SureFire 6P, etc. SOme people under some circumstances will get dizzy, etc., but I don't think you can count on that. Really, I think being dizzy or not is beside the point. The main use of the light is in denying an opponent their vision.

My experience is that, tactically, you can pretty much move how you want around the person you are strobing without them being able to tell what you are doing. I am not a tactician by any stretch, but it is obvious to me that the strobe creates an enormous opportunity for exploitation. The light doesn't really accomplish anything for you, but it does give you an opportunity where there was none.

I hate to read some posts that seem to indicate there will be some kind of effect from use of the light alone. No one will wither and die if strobed by a Gladius. It just creates an opportunity that you can exploit.

A dog runs toward you. You strobe the dog and dodge the bite. Then you get ready for the next attempt. Use the time to grab your knife or pepper spray or gun or get ready to dodge again. Opportunity and exploit. The two go together. You have to do your part or you will take a bite.

The difference between the Gladius and comparable non-strobing lights is that the other lights degrade your vision. The Gladius wrecks your vision.

Scott

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,
I used the strobe on a drunk one night when he was being a little bit less than cooperative.
He fell down. When he was cuffed and lifted up he asked why I had tazed him :laughing:

The strobe works.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
madecov said:
Well,
I used the strobe on a drunk one night when he was being a little bit less than cooperative.
He fell down. When he was cuffed and lifted up he asked why I had tazed him :laughing:

The strobe works.

Sorry, yes, you are right. The strobe works.

Reading some posts on the topic of tactical lights, or what to use for self defense, etc., you get the impression that there is one side saying flashlights are death rays, and another side saying a light has no effect. I think the truth is in the middle, and depends a lot upon the skill of the user.

Scott

UVvis

Enlightened
madecov said:
Well,

The strobe works.

HAHAHAHA! Evidently he has never taken a ride one of those before.

Using lights in this type of roll is exactly the same as using radar jamming.

UVvis

Enlightened
beezaur said:
Reading some posts on the topic of tactical lights, or what to use for self defense, etc., you get the impression that there is one side saying flashlights are death rays, and another side saying a light has no effect. I think the truth is in the middle, and depends a lot upon the skill of the user.

Exactly! Well put.