Experience with Luminox watches?

alberto

Enlightened
I've had a Marathon Navigator (tritium) for a couple of years and like it but it's showing some wear and one of the vials has detached itself. So I'm looking for something similar, such as a Luminox. Can anyone tell me if this would be a good choice -- or if something else would be better.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and it works great...(mine doesn't say "NAVY SEALS" on it...which is dandy since I'm not one...always thought it was corny for them to put that on the face, but I guess that's marketing. Kind of hard to find them without that on the face though...)

BTW, I got the same model my drill sergeant had...That should tell you something about its durability. :D

JM-99

LEDGloworm

Newly Enlightened
Hi
For tritium watches, nite make some stunning examples. I have a nite GX40. It's build quality is amazing and the illumination is not only good but attractive also. I agree with Jumpmaster with regards to the Navy Seals remark (It looks tacky if you are not a Navy Seal). The nite range are stylish, robust and they do the job. A great all rounder IMHO. Here is a link to a website so you can have a look at them.
www.h3products.com or www.nitewatches.com
Let me know what you think.
:popcorn:

matt_j

Enlightened
Since life of the paramedic in NYC is so freaking tuff I broke 3 Navy Seal watches. Navy Seals got nothing on me. Obviously that was said with lots of sarcasm but the fact still stands that I broke three of them. They were the basic ones. I cracked the window in half in all cases. After that I got the steel carbon case one and it served me well.

I love the brightness of the nighttime illumination. You just can't beat it. Otherwise it's a pretty regular watch.

Want to take it a step further get a marathon tsar ($425).

alberto

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I like the recommended Nite Watches but they don't seem to be easily available in the U.S.

And I agree, I too don't like the cheesy "SEAL Team", "SR-71 Blackbird", and "F-16" labels on the Luminox brand. Makes them seem like little kids' watches. I'll keep looking, although I really like tritium.

drizzle

Enlightened
Not all of the Luminox Watches have the military or dive motif. I bought one that looked nice and was among the less expensive models.

I have two complaints. After having it for a short time (but after the even shorter warranty period) it developed a problem where it would run fine for a few days then all of a sudden be off by more than an hour. Apparently it needs cleaning which I still haven't done. I suppose that will fix it. It's just my angry stubbornness that keeps me from sending it away to be cleaned. For that kind of money it shouldn't go bad so quickly.

The other problem was my fault due to my inexperience with Tritium watches. The model I have has black hands and markings on a white face. The problem with this is that in low light (but not dark) situations when the watch is hard to read "normally" the tritium sort of blends into the face and doesn't really help. I have to cup my hand over it to make it darker in order to read it.

B@rt

Flashaholic
I like my orange H3 "Unterwasser" ;)
img19070ts.jpg

ibcj

Enlightened
I bought a Luminox stainless steel watch with a rubber wriststrap seven years ago. I wore this as my daily watch for over 5 years and it has held up remarkably well. There are dings in the bezel, but no scratches to the crystal. I haven't even changed the battery. While I have read some negative reviews, personally I am very happy. I can say that there are different quality Luminox watches with different quality crystals and it may be that you get what you pay for.

alphamicro

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Luminox Ultimate Field watch (model 807) last month. I wanted a tritium watch (was thinking dive watch type originally) and did a lot of reading before I decided on it. I obviously don't have any long term experience with it, but my short time experience is good. It's very easy to read at night and keeps very good time (almost as good as a couple of Seiko Perpetual Calendar models I have). I added a deployment clasp (deployant for the watch snobs) but kept the original leather band. Very sharp looking (IMO) if you don't want a dive watch.

If you are looking for a GREAT deal, check out the Luminox for sale in Non-Lights. Unforgiven has a titanium Luminox dive watch (model 3602 I believe) for $199 plus shipping http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98348. Those go on the internet for over $300. I PMed him about the watch. He has only had it for a few months. I've heard before that the lower end Luminox dive watches (Navy Seal?) aren't as bullet proof due to having a fiberglass reinforced body. I've got three titanium watches already (although not Luminox) and know that they are very lightweight as well as very strong. If you're just checking out Luminox watches in general, the place I found with the best selection, descriptions, return policy, and prices (with free shipping!) was Gemday. (http://www.gemday.com)

Last edited:

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Alberto.

I was thinking about buying a Marathon tritium and would like to ask you if it's possible to send the watch back and have the vial re-attached?

I was wondering with these watches if it's possible to have the tritium vials replaced when they eventually go dim or if once they go dim then that's it?

The reason I ask is because my Grandfather died early this year and I was given a little money from my Mother and rather than just use the money on daily things it seems more appropriate and meaningful to buy something that I can treasure and something that will last.

I already have a digital watch (a Suunto Vector) with all the whistles and bells such as altimeter and so on but I think most would agree that an analogue watch simply has much more character and in 20 years will still look stylish where a digital watch seems more like a computer and as time goes by an older digital watch looks like yesterdays technology.

Oh I know what you guys mean about the Navy Seals thing printed on the face, I can remember back in the 80's there was a time in England where you could not buy a t-shirt with out having something moronic printed on it like "I am a submarine driver" or "Texas Ranger".
jpshakehead.gif

Simon.

dbedit

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Lumi (without the cheesy navy seals print) a few years back to replace my Rolex Sub (I travel a lot and prefer not to get knocked in the head because someone likes my watch). I have not had any trouble with my Lumi and wear it every day 24/7...I am rough on a watch and have learned to look for certain qualities. One of my favorite on my Lumi is it has a Saphire Crystal (like the Rolex), it is very scratch resistant but from what I understand it is a bit brittle and does not hold up well to a direct blow.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I have got this one for more than a year now:

Luminox04.jpg

Luminox02.jpg

No problems so far, but Luminox watches just aren't top notch watches. I handled a few Breitlings et al, and there was no comparison. There also was a slight price difference, of course :green:, which is why I got the Luminox. For now :D

bernie

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking of getting a Marine Series Luminox. It's a bit smaller then some as I only have a 6.75" wrist and can be had for the low $200's. I wish it had a sapphire lens but you gotta consider the price consideration. I generally read good reviews of Luminox watches on the web as being pretty solid watches. It would suck if I bought one and it leaked though.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Marathon Navigator is my everyday hard use watch. Very light, thin and tough. Not bulky with sharp edges like the Lumi or Traser. Lots of miles and hard knocks with no problems. My wife has the basic Marathon without the rotating bezel for her knock around watch. No problems either but it doesn't get the rough treatment mine does.

I got one of the basic Trasers on sale at LAPoliceGear. Great deal for $99. Very bright and is obviously the exact same movement and face as the Lumi seals.

Have one of the Lumi seal watches - stainless with composite bezel - came with rubber strap but I put the upgraded stainless/carbon bracelet on it. Heavy and bulky but bright and lets you know what time it is.

My favorite dress up watch by far is the Lumi Dress Field. All stainless and lacking the Rambo functions. No longer available.

To me, the only reason for any of these watches is the trits. Without them, they'd be about like a $25 Timex.

I most certainly agree that if you want to wear something that says "Ranger" or "Seal" or "Police" then you should first be one.

StuGatz

Enlightened
I have/had four Luminox watches and every one has held up very well. I especially like my two titanium versions. :D

I do not like or have any version with the Seal logo on the face. Just seems silly to have that although the rep advised that they keep the logo on the back of the case as a nod to the Seal Teams for which it was allegedly originally made for.

subiedriver1990

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering what model Luminox you have? i have an 1887 model with the same colored dial, slightly different face set-up from yours. i liked the way yours looked..