The Beast

How do you compare a flash light with a spot light

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

illuminator196972

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me how many lumens my bass pro shops Thor/Cyclops 15 million
CP rates with the 2000 lumens "THE BEAST"? Can anyone compare my 9Z at 200 lumens with a spotlight?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your 200 lumen 9Z will be like a Photon Freedom compared to a Fenix L1P. How's that? Or, if your light was the Spotlight, and your light was some other light, then your light is a Minimag (got that?) (Minimag to 9z).

BTW, I voted for 'what is lumens to cp'. :crackup:

illuminator196972

Newly Enlightened
Thanks trash mam its like a question I asked without fear of ridicule!I need the cpf to explaine to me how much lumens you can handle? Thanks its all about not being in the dark!!!

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
a beast has a pretty small reflector so
my hid vector(5.25 Inch reflector)would out beast the beast.

the beast is a extreemly nice light - much tougher and higher quality than my vector.

and the beast has less artifacts in it's beam - for sure.

but I did use a phillips dl35bulb in my vector(3600 bulb lumens)

so the beast can not have a better bulb.

the beast is rated at 2000 lumens - emitted - after reflector and lens losses so it is 100 lumens brighter than a 10 mcp thor at about - aprox - 1900 lumens emitted(10 mcp thor bulb is 2900 lumens if you have 13.2 volts at the base of the bulb - so a 10 mcp thor has about 2400 bulb lumens)

http://www.supremeco.com.hk/catalog...=3315&osCsid=72a5d5f31b6933ee275f12c80c66c5b1

check out the thor 3x newbie mod post's for thor spec's

if my vector looses 25% because of reflector/lens losses
it would be a 2700 lumen light - my best gues for it's output.

even if my vector looses 33% because of reflector/lens losses it would be a 2400 lumen light.

so my vector is brighter - for sure

at 2900.00 who would ever use one and risk damaging or scratching a beast.

still I would love to have one in my collection.

Last edited:

jashhash

Enlightened
The beast has one HUGE design flaw. It takes 12x CR123A batteries. Assuming that you buy these batteries online for $3 a piece it would cost $36 for a fresh set of batteries. Assuming that a set of batteries would last 2 hours (which it probably wouldnt) your looking an $18 per hour opperation cost. The operation cost of my car including matinance is about $10 per hour!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think most of us are paying more than $2 a piece for CR123's. My limit is set at $1.60, and that has to include the shipping.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It is a huge design merit that it takes CR123 and will not mess with those Li-Ion things!
Less dangerous, less trouble, no charger to bring along and you can replace batteries in the field as often as you want / your wallet permits.
bernie

jashhash

Enlightened
Ok so 20 lithiums at $1.60 each is $32 for a fresh set of batteries. a 90 minute run time means the operation cost is $24 per hr. Sry for the misinformation. for another $100 they could have included a protected Li-ION cell pack. Also isnt it a requirement that all types of electronic devices require some kind of vent hole when running lithium based battereies?

Last edited:

RalphRussell

Newly Enlightened
illuminator196972 said:
Can you tell me where you are buying your 123 lithiums at?
SureFire sells their SF123's for $1.25 each. If you spend $100, they throw in free shipping. Lets see, The Beast's HID lamp is good for 3000 hours. A set of 20 batteries lasts 90 minutes. To wear out the lamp would take 2000 sets of batteries at $25 a set for a total of $50,000.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
illuminator196972 said:
Can you tell me where you are buying your 123 lithiums at?

I always buy mine online. Like Ralph said, surefire sells them for $1.25. I think their deal is 12 for $15. The kicker there is the shipping, which brings the price up a little. The Battery Station, and Amondotech sell their CR123's for the same price, I believe. I almost always get my batteries off of ebay. Whenever I need them, I just look for the best deal. The last couple of times I bought them it was Panasonics from Hong Kong. I was the only bidder on the Panasonics, and the price was $1.99 for the 10 batteries, and $10 to ship them, so, $11.99 for the 10 batteries, shipped. That same deal seems to be there a lot. I once bought 20 Sanyo CR123's for $23 (shipped). You just have to look, and deals will be there. I'm not usually in a big hurry when I'm buying my batteries since I still have plenty left, so it's easy to find a deal at my leisure.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think I'm going to send Bernie a charger and some of those "Li-Ion things!" for Christmas.

I have such a hard time deciding what to get people, wish it was this easy every year :nana:

Later
Kelly

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey Kelly ... I do have some PILAs Jon sent me to convert me some time ago :D ... and I actually *use* them round the house, believe it or not!
Nevertheless ... I am a primary guy, CR123A are sexy! :devil:
bernie

P.S.: seriously though ... I won't run Li-Ion in Series, and I don't trust chargers. There are more reasons for me disliking rechargeable, but I think we won't pollute this thread about a wonderful light that runs on primaries with our discussion here ... :nana:

jashhash

Enlightened
I suppose if you can afford $2900 to buy the light then you would be able to afford the $20+ per hr to run the light.

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
I would pay $3000 for a light (which I did) but am not willing to pay $9000 or whatever for a car(which I haven't).