Affordable Laptop for 3rd World

Santelmo

Enlightened
Anybody seen or tried these?

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1116/p04s01-ussc.html

On a funnier note, I did see a report about it in the news about two nights ago when they were unveiling the product with Kofi Anan. Although they didn't highlight it much and was partially hidden, when Anan was working the thing, I think he may have broken the wind-up handle! He then had this priceless "Oh crap!" expression on his face and some guy immediately went over to look at it. Really funny.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read about this in a magazine just this day.
Hey, we might get more people logging in to CPF :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes, just what starving, war-torn kids need - a friggin laptop. The article stated that a bunch of companies pitched in 2 million bucks each. I can think of better stuff to send kids than those POS laptops for that much money....

Santelmo

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Oh yes, just what starving, war-torn kids need - a friggin laptop. The article stated that a bunch of companies pitched in 2 million bucks each. I can think of better stuff to send kids than those POS laptops for that much money....

You just somehow managed to echo what I was thinking at the back of my mind. . .

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
"....producing a laptop so cheap that governments could afford to link every child in the world to the Internet.

Weeeeeeellllll.. one flaw in the ointment: Some governments don't WANT their kids (or adults for that matter) on the Internet!