JEEP RUBICON/SANGEAN U1 RADIO anybody have one?..finally got mine..

Niteowl

Enlightened
I've been wanting to get one for work. Factory, loud noise situation.

Would like to hear some feed-back if anyone has experience with the radio. I also need good AM reception for Monday Night Football.

Thanks

Last edited:

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
Re: JEEP RUBICON RUGGED RADIO anybody have one?

I was thinking of getting one also, but the few reviews I read said the quality of sound wasn't as good as people thought. I was considering getting a DeWalt or Mliwakee (the better of the two) construction radio instead, but they are kinda big and require propietary batt packs. I ended going with the rugged radio from brookstone. the sound is impressive and it served my purposes well.

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/prod...h_words=radio&prodtemp=t1&cm_re=Result*R1C1*T

Hope it helps.

sotyakr

Enlightened

Here's something similar from Sangean that uses 4 D cells, but it sells for somewhere between $90-100 which probably makes the Brookstone a better buy. It wouldn't surprise me if Sangean is the OE manufacturer of the Brookstone radio from an article about the feud between C Crane, their former lead engineer and Sangean.

At $50 it sure is tempting, but I've really got enough radios around here...

Niteowl

Enlightened

The Sangean looks exactly like the "JEEP" rugged radio except for the color/graphics. The brookstone radio is a good possibility for me, as it is half the price. I seem to spend my money on other silly things :) .

Lightbringer, the side mounted speakers aren't an issue? How's the AM reception. Do you use it indoors (metal building)?

I was looking at the Jeep because it has a internal 7w amplifier. I need it pretty loud, sound quality isn't a priority but I don't want a lot of distortion when I crank it. It is a very noisy work environment. I also like the lack of bells and whistles on both radios.

A guy at work has the DeWalt radio and I am unimpressed. I looked at the Milwaukee with similar results. Both are too big anyway.

Thanks for the input!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Wow, I read that story about C. Crane, Chris, and Sangean. I have several C. Crane products, and had Chris Justice, of RadioLabs, modify my Sangean 909. The Sangean Rugged Radio is different from Brookstones. Rugged Radio has one speaker, the Brookstone, two speakers. Output wattage is the same. I would go with the Sangean, and have Chris Justice play with it.

Bill

Niteowl

Enlightened

Bullzeyebill said:
I would go with the Sangean, and have Chris Justice play with it.
Bill

Bill,

My knowledge of audio equipment is very limited. What would he do to it and what would the improvement run (ballpark figure/wild guess)?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Actually, would try out radio first. If sound quality was not good I might have filters installed. If receptiion was not good I might have front end tweeked, for sensitiity and or selectivity. Might need different IF filters, etc. Might not be worth it. Price would be about $100.00. Just guessing.

Bill

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

The GE Superadio series of AM/FM portables has long been hailed by radio hobbyists for its AM sensitivity. This is due to its oversize internal ferrite AM antenna. I've seen the Superadio III selling for $40 - $55 at KMart, Farm and Fleet, and other stores.

See photo at: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/spcialty/0547.html

There's a Superadio FAQ at: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/radio/superadio/gesr_faq.html

I have the prior version, a Superadio II, and it has lots of audio, super sensitivity, and the D cell batteries last seemingly forever. It has a front mounted speaker.

Some of the laboratories at my former employer had Superadios because they were able to receive stations inside the steel buildings better than anything else.

sloegin

Newly Enlightened

I have one of the older Jeep radios, like this. The sound is okay. I think a pair of etymotics and a walkman would be a better buy.

Niteowl

Enlightened
Re: JEEP RUBICON/SANGEAN U1 RADIO anybody have one?

I looked further into the Sangean and Brookstone. Settled on the SANGEAN after speaking to the fine folks at Sangean. Turns out they provide Brookstone with the other entry. They recommended checking with Universal Radio and I was able to pick up a LNIB for $70.

It arrived today while I was at work. After I got some chores done I unpacked it, looked over the manual, and went out into the garage (sleeping wife + 3 kids, 12:30am). Good thing as it's quite loud and can be turned to full volume with VERY little distortion. To my somewhat abused ears, it sounds very good, nice bass to it. The big test will be when I get it to work. It figures I have a vacation day tomorrow.......

To my surprise, it's got an LED light built into the front of it. Three 5mm's behind a prism type lense. Plenty of light to move around the garage. Another nice feature is how the heavy-duty powercord winds around a spool in recessed the back and is covered by a hinged door, very neat. Also looking forward to trying out the PA system at work, got to get a mic now.

To be honest, if it doesn't cut it at work (I expect it will), I'll be real happy with it every where else. I like the simplicity of it, kind of like me.....:)

Thanks for the help!