Question For OddONE

petemalelis

Newly Enlightened
I am modding my led lenser as you did with a downboy converter but i need help on how you seated the downboy on the brass slug. Is there anyway you could post some detailed pics of the finished slug assembly. Any tips on how you grounded the downboy and seated it would also be helpful. I was thinking of seating it into epoxy putty would that work?

OddOne

Enlightened
Actually, I went the "cheap *******" route and simply hotglued it into place, using the + contact on the bottom as the battery + contact. :D

oO

petemalelis

Newly Enlightened
I also thought of that, although i was thinking epoxy would be more rugged. But pics would still be a great help. Any other tips would be great. How did u connect the ground to the brass slug? is it still your edc.

OddOne

Enlightened
I drilled a second hole through the brass slug for the LED's cathode, since both ends of the LED have to connect to the Downboy. Wires connect one to the other through each hole. I discovered during that process that they don't use high-strength epoxy to mount the LED - it popped off the slug, so I rebonded it with Artic Alumina when I finished cleaning up the old epoxy and deburring the new hole.

The brass slug's grounded via the large spring that sits between the aluminum battery tube insert sleeve and the slug itself.

The biggest issue I've noted is having to either shorten the negative spring a bit or add an O-ring between head and body to add a small gap, so as to prevent the batteries crushing the Downboy against the slug. (I went with the O-ring as it's reversable.)

I still EDC the light. For its size it's very tough to beat.

oO

petemalelis

Newly Enlightened
Great tips, but what did you connect the downboy's ground connection to? did you solder it to the brass slug? Is there any easy tool to remove the slug from the head via the two holes? i have two lights one i used a punch to unthread the slug but the other is quite difficult what did you use?