How hard to drill out reflector?

Warhoggie

Enlightened
I got one of LightEdge's MOP reflectors that I like to have a bigger opening to accommodate a larger bulb. Currently even the stock bulb will not fit through this reflector. I do not have a press drill, only a portable craftman drill. Any points before I screw up a nice reflector? Thanks.

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Thanks sniper. Tapered reamer, is that the drill bit that have multiply steps in terms of hole size? Also you mentioned drilling from the inside. You mean to drill it from the non reflective side, the back of the reflector, right?
stupid.gif

sniper said:
It is hard to hold the little reflectors like the Mini Mag with your fingers, but it is doable. A tapered reamer might be a solution, and a bit easier to use. Drill the reflector from the inside, the shape of the reflector will center the drill. Start with the drill a size or two smaller than the ultimate size, and keep going up till the hole is big enough to fit. Slow and easy does it. You can't put any back on, if a goof occurs. Good luck!
smile.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've drilled out probably close to 50 Minimag and Minimag clone reflectors using a simple hand drill and two bits but those were made of plastic. The reflector you're asking about is aluminum, right?

sniper

Enlightened
It is hard to hold the little reflectors like the Mini Mag with your fingers, but it is doable. A tapered reamer might be a solution, and a bit easier to use. Drill the reflector from the inside, the shape of the reflector will center the drill. Start with the drill a size or two smaller than the ultimate size, and keep going up till the hole is big enough to fit. Slow and easy does it. You can't put any back on, if a goof occurs. Good luck! :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Whenever I've drilled reflector (plastic only), I've used increasingly larger drill bits, and gone slow. I've actually turned the drill bit with my fingers (or a pair of pliers). Slow and easy does it, as sniper said.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drill from the back - not the reflective side. That way if (when) the chips start flying, you will have a reduced chance of scratching up the inside.

Try very hard to avoid contacting the reflective surface with ANYTHING. If there is a defect / particle / scratch - leave it. You can only make things worse by attempting removal in most cases.

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Yeah, I heard that these reflectors are very very sensative. My reflector had a lot of dust on it right out of the box. I used distilled water and poured over it. Then used 70% rubbing alcohol and swirling about in it. Dried it naturally. The first time I did it, I used a hairdryer. All that did was shoot dust right back on it again. Learning curve baby! Learning curve!
ohgeez.gif

HarryN said:
Drill from the back - not the reflective side. That way if (when) the chips start flying, you will have a reduced chance of scratching up the inside.

Try very hard to avoid contacting the reflective surface with ANYTHING. If there is a defect / particle / scratch - leave it. You can only make things worse by attempting removal in most cases.

sniper

Enlightened
Warhoggie said:
Tapered reamer, is that the drill bit that have multiply steps in terms of hole size? Also you mentioned drilling from the inside. You mean to drill it from the non reflective side, the back of the reflector, right?
stupid.gif

I didn't relize your reflector is aluminum. The tapered reamers I have in mind are hand tools, not stepped, with a t handle built in for turning. They may also be made for drill motors.
I drilled my plastic reflectors from the inside because drilling from the other (non reflective) side caused an off-center hole.

If you put too much pressure on the aluminum, like placing it in a vise, you will likely distort your very pretty and expensive reflector. Not good!

Try this: Weatherstripping double sided, foam backed tape, placed on a piece of wood, which will keep you from drilling into the wife's table, countertop, or other priceless heirloom. Build up an area as large as you like by placing the strips side by side.Take the backing off, and press the reflector firmly onto the stickum, steady it with one hand, and drill with the other one. It should hold securely, and clean off easily.

No doubt, someone else will have a better solution, because on occassion, I have been accused of making stuff harder than it needs to be. (Totally without justification, I might add.) :) Again: slow and easy!

Vbeez

Enlightened
Warhoggie: how big is that Light-edge MOP inner diameter ? This reflector replacement fit perfectly for MagD ?

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Hi Vbeez,
I'll go home tonight and measure it. But yes, it fits the MagD or MagC. There is play if you place it loosey on top of the lens.
But once you screw everything in, it fits perfectly. Hope that helps.

Vbeez said:
Warhoggie: how big is that Light-edge MOP inner diameter ? This reflector replacement fit perfectly for MagD ?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
This one goes from ~1/8"-1/2" and is a very useful tool for opening-up holes. I used mine for a number of MJ LED MiniGag replacements. They work on metal, also. Ace Hardware stores usually carry it. Hand reamer.

Larry

Vbeez

Enlightened
Warhoggie : Just want to make sure it fit my bulb. Have you got the number ?

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Vbeez, my LightEdge MOP aluminium reflector measures 9.50mm (.374 inch) at the bulb opening. Stock reflector is 14.95mm (.588 inch) Hope that helps. :)

Vbeez said:
Warhoggie : Just want to make sure it fit my bulb. Have you got the number ?

Last edited: