• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

It about Time!

DallasA

Enlightened
Hi guys:

Ok it has been for ever but I am happy to say then end is near! Ya! OK OK I know I have said before, but I am glad we have waited!

So I have started this thread to talk about the ending and finally two step away from production the Single AAA 1w

Here is how it is coming.

The final board testing has been completed and has meet final approvel.

The Prototype reflector is being finished up and it should be going through finall lumens testing sometime next week.

I will cover some of the question now and the rest I will hold on until the final results come in.

This is an all new design from the electronics to the overall apperiance.

This head will not be interchangable with the Matterhorn at this time, sorry guys I tryed my best.

The Momentary Switch will work with this unit

The estimated run time unit I have the full prototype in my hand at this time is 1.5 hours to 50%

I will not release the final specs on CP or lumens until the final test is complete and I am satisfied but I will tell you this it is a hell of lot brighter then then a favor of mine. ( Smirk )

This unit is a flood unit

And the number one question when. We are hoping to have the HA released by December but we are pushing the clock here. So now you will understand if I am a little tied up for a while. This is my goal so wish me luck. Please do not ask about Titanium, Brass, or SS until after December. We have enough on our plates right now.

As soon as I have the finish protype in hand I will release photos.

Happy Thanksgiving!

And a big thank you to my staff for all their hard work and dealing with me ( Smirk )

MJ

DallasA

Enlightened
greg_in_canada said:
Cool. Can you tell us the dimensions?

Thanks - Greg

The dimensions will not be releasted unti I have the full unit in hand however here is a little teaser picture hiden of the model I have been playing and working with. It is behind the matterhorn to show that the unit is slightly large in the head but not by much and the length is shorter, I figured if I can not get it in the head then by all means I think I did a awesome job on shorting it up.

Do not want to give it all away just yet. ( Smirk ) I am so excited I am climbing the walls. I can wait to post the finish production unit!

http://www.peakledsolutions.net/images/MJAAA1w.JPG

Have a Great Holiday!

MJ

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
DallasA said:
The estimated run time unit I have the full prototype in my hand at this time is 1.5 hours to 50%

That's an ambitious spec - driving an emitter at 1W for 90 minutes off a AAA battery!

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
chimo said:
That's an ambitious spec - driving an emitter at 1W for 90 minutes off a AAA battery!

Yup. The Duracell OEM page shows 1/2 hour to 0.8 volts at 1 Watt load.
http://www.duracell.com/oem/primary/alkaline/mx2400.asp

Maybe 90 minutes is for a lithium cell (or Oxyride?). Or maybe the light
has a 1W LED but is driven at less than 1 watt.

Thanks for the sneak-peak photo Dallas.

Greg

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up MJ, Can you tell us what the price will be and will you take preorders?

Also will this light be regulated with a chart curve similar to the Caribbean (Gradual) or a sharp step down curve like the Mediterranean when it falls out of regulation. (I'm looking at the charts on your webpage)

Good to see your feeling better and back at it.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm dreaming of a Luxeon white Christmas... (throw tomatoes now)

The larger head makes sense to fit the larger Luxeon inside and to keep it cool. Amazing that it can be that small, get 1.5 hours of runtime and has a momentary/twistie switch. Are you using R bin Luxeons with a really low forward voltage to get the increased runtime?
I have a 2003 Lambda MicroIlluminator mod that pushes an R3J Luxeon at 155mA for 1 hour 45 minutes. Calculate 225mA on an alkaline at 1 hour 15 minutes to 50%. Change the forward voltage from an average of 3.4V on a R3J to 3.15V on a R3H and that would boost runtime to an hour 21 minutes on an alkaline cell. Since the low forward voltage Luxeon is not running at 350mA, the forward voltage would be lower, say 3.0 V.
The regulator/booster would have to double the voltage and do semi-regulation at say 80% effeciency so the load on the battery would be around 565mA? Lithium AAA batteries would be the way to go!

All I know is my Matterhorn Snow29 is lost and I need a new Ocean AAA to take away the pain. Flashlights don't make you fat.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
greg_in_canada said:
Thanks.

Hard to tell from a log graph but at 1 watt (1000 mW) it looks like
it would run for 1.2 or 1.3 hours.

Greg

greg, now if we factor in a 70-80% converter efficiency, the battery has to put out 1.25-1.4W to supply 1 Watt to the emitter.

In any case, it looks like a neat little light. I look forward to seeing it.

Paul

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's true. If they use a good bin and run it at 0.8W that would be about 1W from the battery. It will be good to see some photos and hands-on reviews.

Greg

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
DallasA said:

I will not release the final specs on CP or lumens until the final test is complete and I am satisfied but I will tell you this it is a hell of lot brighter then then a favor of mine. ( Smirk )

Guys, she never says that its driven at 1 watt, only that it gets an hour and a half to 50% brightness. Personally, I hope its driven at less than that so that regular alkaline AAA's stand a fighting chance in this thing. They certainly aren't the ideal battery to be running a luxeon off of (other than size and cost of course).

Even if its a bit underdriven, this light is sure to blow the pants off of any other 5mm AAA light provided Peak comes through on the regulation.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
Guys, she never says that its driven at 1 watt, only that it gets an hour and a half to 50% brightness. Personally, I hope its driven at less than that so that regular alkaline AAA's stand a fighting chance in this thing...
I did some simple calculations about 1x alkaline AAA Luxeon feasibility in this thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1127611&highlight=aaa+luxeon+alkaline#post1127611

Personally I think the design should emphsize NiMH and Lithium AAAs, with alkaline recommended for emergency use only. Maybe that's what Peak will do; we don't yet know. If you dial back the current to get decent run time from an alkaline AAA, output isn't much better than 5mm LEDs.

It's actually quite impressive to get a Luxeon 1x AAA to work at decent output and runtime, so I look forward to the Peak product.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
Guys, she never says that its driven at 1 watt, only that it gets an hour and a half to 50% brightness. Personally, I hope its driven at less than that so that regular alkaline AAA's stand a fighting chance in this thing. They certainly aren't the ideal battery to be running a luxeon off of (other than size and cost of course).

I agree that it should be driven at less than 1W for battery longevity.

The light was presented as a "single AAA 1W" light with 1.5 hrs of run-time. That would lead the reader to presume the emitter is being driven at 1W. :shrug:

The discussion points brought up on run time was not to nay-say the product but to hopefully temper people's expectations (i.e. do not expect both 1W to the emitter and 1.5hrs of run-time).

Peak produces some great products and I expect this will be another one. :)

Paul

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I think that can cause confusion when people refer to them as 1 watt and 3 watt luxeons, rather than the proper name of "Luxeon I" and "Luxeon 3."

DallasA

Enlightened
JimH said:
Will it run on Li-Ion AAA (3.7v) or just lithium/alkaline (1.5v)?

Yes, it will. I use alkalines in the test case due to it is a common battery for alot. So yes, rechargables and the Li-Ion will have the same effect as are other units.