cheap easy UV light??

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
my friend at work knows I'm into flashlight and he wants me to make him a UV light. so my question is.....

Is there an easy way to make a cheap Uv light?
I was hopping some kind of mod or drop in for a mag AA but some other light would be ok to. main purpose would be to see "invisible" markers and bodily fulids.

paulr

Flashaholic
You can get a UV LED light for 2 bucks or so from Emilion etc. Countycomm charges 5 bucks or so. If you want something more serious for forensic purposes, the fancier lights cost more and use UV fluorescent tubes.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Group buys or on eBay... I've built a few Minimag clones into UV lights but they usually need more than the 2.4-3.0V that two AA cells can provide. The easiest way is to use two N cells and one AAA cell in the Minimag. That gives a good 3.6+ V under load. I've never killed a UV LED driving them like this though this is far from the most practical way if you are going to use it with any regularity.

I also have an 5 LED XNova with 390nm (I think) LEDs but my current favorite UV light is one of the little Coast keychain lights with a 375nm LED... It works very well on the three LR44 cells.