new regulated M*g tri-lux layout

cy

Flashaholic
Here's a new regulated M*g tri-lux layout using 3x regulated star boards and perfect tri-sink.

board contains LDO driver so requires VIN greater than VF, regulates at 700 milliamps ea star. should be able to use 2x 18650 li-ion in 2C m*g or 8x AA in 2D m*g.

triluxregulated8nj.jpg

mpf

Enlightened
Can you give any more details on the regulator circuit you are using?
matthew

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
We want beam shots, We want beam shots, We want beam shots, We want beam shots!
Please
mut

cy

Flashaholic
mpf said:
Can you give any more details on the regulator circuit you are using?
matthew

these are available from AW for $8ea

you can convert any light that uses a DD star into a regulated light. but input voltage must exceed VF of lux.

daBear

Enlightened
This is off topic, but I have two of these set up with four LuxIII on a Perfect Quad Sink and use a Fatman driver with a copper heatsink attached and driven by 8AA NiMh batteries. They are also dimmable with a 50K Pot attached. The problem with both lights is they shut down after 10 minutes at full brightness because of heat buildup. So be careful with what you do as I have about $250 in parts alone in each of these and they will only run for 10 minutes or so, not to mention short lifespan since there is so much heat.

cy

Flashaholic
da bear, why would you need a fatman driver for these star boards?

sure sounds like four emitters cranking makes some heat.

daBear

Enlightened
cy said:
da bear, why would you need a fatman driver for these star boards?

sure sounds like four emitters cranking makes some heat.

Four TWOJ emitters require a minimum voltage of more than 9.6 which is supplied by 8 AA NiMh batteries, plus I wanted a regulated light. Yup, that is a bunch of heat. You can not hold the quad heatsink in your hand for more than two minutes before it gets too hot.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool idea. Good point about the heat. Those circuit stars are thermally protected IIRC. So with 3, they might get too hot and shut down.. Hmm.

I know my Tri-TX0K 2D mag gets mighty warm!! ~13watts of power going thorugh it.

--
Even if you had a mod where an emitter is used, but had space for the star board (Mag D for instance) you could use this cheap buck circuit and not worry about frying whatever bin luxeon you had. Another interesting idea of using circuits, is did you know the micropuck can be wired as a buck circuit too? I found an application .pdf for it once and it can be paralleled, made buck, etc all by wiring it differently. I even think they had a buck/boost arangement.

Now if AW would get those star boards with a boost circuit I'd really be happy!

ktronik

Enlightened
I too have got some boards...

Check the AMC7135 data sheet, I think the smaller package is rated to 70 degC & the bigger package is 120 degC...

Have their been tests with non contact thermo's on PTS/PQS??

These need to be run as close to Vf as poss...so how would you configer 8AA...
& no more that 6v, so how would 2x 18650 li-ion work?? hey just tryng to help not hinder...

This board is made to work best on 1 R-li-ion, or 3 cells NIMH...

ktronik

cy

Flashaholic
daBear said:
Four TWOJ emitters require a minimum voltage of more than 9.6 which is supplied by 8 AA NiMh batteries, plus I wanted a regulated light. Yup, that is a bunch of heat. You can not hold the quad heatsink in your hand for more than two minutes before it gets too hot.

these star board are regulated to 700 milliamps with built-in LDO drivers. if I remember correctly 16V is max voltage.

possibly will support Sbin 5watt luxeons with 6V max

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
daBear said:
This is off topic, but I have two of these set up with four LuxIII on a Perfect Quad Sink and use a Fatman driver with a copper heatsink attached and driven by 8AA NiMh batteries. They are also dimmable with a 50K Pot attached. The problem with both lights is they shut down after 10 minutes at full brightness because of heat buildup. So be careful with what you do as I have about $250 in parts alone in each of these and they will only run for 10 minutes or so, not to mention short lifespan since there is so much heat.

you have something set up wrong if it shuts off.. my RT4 can run over 17W continuous for 40 minutes w/o shutdown run from ONE fatman.. please email me the details of how you have it set up and what current level you have your driver set to... I tried to over drive the RT4 to 1300mA and had the problem yo describe.. now it runs at 1.1A and it will not overheat and it also outputs more light at 1100mA than at 1300mA. Sounds like you have a light or two that need some tweaking.

that chip looks pretty cool for a 'gimmie' LDO. really neat simple solution for an arc aaa mod!

-awr

ktronik

Enlightened
Just a quick note...

( on the board with one diode ) wire the batt + to LED + or the board won't work...I have told AW, he knows...

DO NOT wire + as per board pads, wire as above...

Also My tests give 325ma per LDO (650ma per board)...3 in parallel will give 975ma...

I have tested 2 boards in parallel & give 1.3A...

this an't no switcher, running 6v into it still gives 650ma out...yes from 6v...keep close to Vf...great for extending runtime on DD mods using NIMH

Last edited:

ktronik

Enlightened
Hey,

I got around to installing some of the boards in some DD mods I have done...really nice!!!

First one, 3d m@g, I cutout the two LDO's and stuck them underside of the o-sink...

I have yet to test what voltage it starts to drop out at...(3d)

second, 3d m@g, board intact, fitted under the o-sink

also you could do a 1C (2/cr123) m@g trilux or quad using 1w lux (with 1 1/2-2) boards worth of LDO's & still be under the 1400ma max drain...a bit of a waste of power running @, 6v but it would be a cheap pocket rocket...

the strengths of this board is for extending the runtime for DD mods, ie 3 nimh/alk cell DD mods...

I tried 3C & 3AA into the LDO, but did not get full output from the driver...

I will try to get some of the SOT252's...

But due to the 70degC on the SOT89 I am running them with NO led installed, in a remote local...

Hey CY how did you go with your trilux???

ktronik

just checked with AW, both packages go upto 120degC, I read the data sheet wrong... :whistle:

sorry to all... :)

Last edited: