My Very First Mod - $10 Task Force Light (from Lowe's)

bruner

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I just finished my first mod and wanted to share it. I got lucky in finding a very inexpensive, but well-made light from Lowe's. It's called a "Task Force" and originally had 3 white Nichia LED's. It runs on 3 AAA batteries, and there is a click-on, click-off push button on the bottom of the unit. Its body is all aluminum and appears to be anodized. It was only about $10.

My mod was to add three radio shack wide-angle red LED's (RS# 276-309), a switch (RS# 275-625A) and a tripod mount. It was a bit difficult to do because there was just barely enough room for me to add what I did.

Both the bezel and the tail piece were easy to unassemble using a compass to turn out the threaded retaining rings. I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 tripod mounting hole on the side of the tail piece. I had to buy two switches because I ruined the first one. I was trying to cut the toggle down as low as I could, but ended up finding that it is hollow towards the bottom where a tiny spring is located. On the second attempt, I only cut the toggle down to about half-size and managed not to hit the spring inside.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. The downside is that if this light was ever waterproof/water resistant, thanks to my drill, it isn't any longer. Here are some pictures.

Side View:

Head prior to mod:

The guts:

Modified Head:

Flashlight beside tripod:

On Tripod:

White Light Mode:

Red Light Mode:

So, how's that for a first mod?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

attowatt

Enlightened
:thumbsup: I like it Dan,

It looks like the 1 I have which is a ledlenser from coast. I paid$29 and it has only 1 red led and 5 white leds. I like the 1 toggle switch you have, and am wondering if there is any way of cutting down the bat handle on toggle?

Nice job .

Jim

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

images not showing up

bruner

Enlightened
attowatt,

Thank you for the kind words. I know the exact ledlenser light you are talking about. It was the inspiration for my mod. Unfortunately there is no way to cut down the toggle any further, becuase of the spring inside.

nemul,

I'm sorry. Apparently I have exceded the bandwidth provided me by geocities.com... When website traffic gets too heavy, they automaticaly shut down a site for one hour. That's the price you pay for free services... The images should be back up soon.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited: