I lost my Leatherman!

Screehopper

Enlightened
I was going somewhere that does not allow knives so I removed my Leatherman from my belt. Now I can't find it! It's been over 10 days now. I've given up looking for it. At least I still have the rest of my EDC gear which includes my Benchmade. So I'm not completely knife less, just plier less.

Trying to be optimistic, fortunately it was just an original Leatherman which I had for over 8 years. So I guess I can finally upgrade to a new multitool. But now there are soooooo many to choose from.

The search for a replacement begins. I guess it's time for me to reread all of those recent multitool threads to get some ideas.

Santelmo

Enlightened
If you're willing to look at other brands, I suggest giving the the SOG Powerlock a look too. The "compound leverage" works nicely, the parts are said to be interchangeable (never tried it though) and the locking mechanism for the tools is almost "donkey-proof" reliable. Had mine close to 3 years now and still love it. Matching it with my Spydie Endura makes me feel well-equipped for almost anything.

http://www.sogknives.com/pwrlck.htm

BTW, if you don't like the handle covers, they're removable!

Screehopper

Enlightened
Santelmo said:
I suggest giving the the SOG Powerlock a look too. The "compound leverage" works nicely, the parts are said to be interchangeable (never tried it though) BTW, if you don't like the handle covers, they're removable!

I did look into the SOG; still researching right now. I was wondering about the handle covers. That's nice to know that they're removeable. I read about the interchangable parts too. My question would be, what can they be changed into? I had no luck in finding what's available.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Screehopper said:
I read about the interchangable parts too. My question would be, what can they be changed into? I had no luck in finding what's available.

Sorry, I can't be definite but from what I understand, you can interchange the configuration or arrangement of the tools or replace them when they're worn out. Hope that helps?

Makarov

Enlightened
Sorry about your loss :(
On the other hand, it's christmas-time and a lot of new models on the market. :)

I agree with KevinL on the Charge TI, this is my new EDC, and I'm quite happy with it. I used to EDC the PST II, and liked it a lot. (My only complaint was that it didn't have the locking blades)
This summer I heard the sirens call and bought myself a FUSE as a replacement. It just didn't feel right, I missed the file and the small flat screwdriver. So I gave it to my grandfather and went all out and bought the TI.
Much better, even though it's bigger.The difference in size doesn't bother me at all any more, just needed a little time to adjust.
Also, in the beginning I thought the short phillips bit screwdriver would be a problem, but I haven't up to this day had any problems due to that.

I don't use the sheat, it's to big, so I carry it on my belt with the pocketclip. The clip isn't made for this, and I have broken 2 so far, but I don't want to fill my pockets any more than I already have.(And I like having the Leatherman on my hip, I've had one there since -93 and I don't want to change that now ;))

If you don't wan't to go up in size, you could try to find some vendor who still got the PULSE, it would be a nice upgrade to the original PST/PST II

And the new knives looks awsome too...

heathah

Newly Enlightened
A multi-tool from any of the major manufacturers would be a good choice (i.e. Leatherman, SOG, Victorinox, Gerber, Swiss+Tech). It mainly depends on what you need it for.

For a large tool, nothing matches the Leatherman Surge.

In the standard size range, the Leatherman Wave, Crunch, and the Charge Ti and XTi are good choices. Others include the SOG PowerLock, Victorinox SwissTool, the Spirit Plus, or one of the Gerber models.

For smaller pocket-size tools, Leatherman has the Juice series. I have used the S2, XE6, and the Juice Pro and all have performed satisfactory for small tasks.

Several keychain-size tools are also available. Leatherman has the Micra and the Squirt S4, P4, or EL (RadioShack model); SOG has the CrossLock and the CrossGrip; Gerber has the Clutch, the Shortcut, the Solstice, the Total Eclipse, and also their Deluxe Utility Clippers (not truly a multi-tool per se); and Swiss+Tech has the Utili-Key, the Micro-Plus, and the Micro-Pro XL.

In all honesty, you can't really look at all of these tools and pick one universal best multi-tool. If I were you I would just figure out which tools I need and then figure out which tools I want and go from there in selecting which one to buy. If you can't decide, just buy one of each! :)

For office work, I carry a Leatherman Juice Pro on my belt with a Squirt S4, P4, and EL in my pocket.

I always have a Leatherman Micra, Gerbers Deluxe Utility Clippers, and Swiss+Tech's Micro-Plus on my keychain.

For normal outside activities I take anything including the Wave, Charge (Ti or XTi), PowerLock, or Spirit Plus.

For heavy-duty work outside I rely on the Surge.

Last edited:

Kingfisher

Enlightened
Try a

tin.jpg

Makarov, have you tried using the quick release lanyard ring attached to your belt? Save breaking those pocket clips. Just a thought.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Hmm, why don't you use a belt holster for the Charge Ti, Makarov, that way you won't break the clip.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost my Leatherman, so I decided to buy another one for an upcoming trip. I just need the basics so I bought a low-priced Gerber from the local WalMart. Then about a month later my daughter found my original Leatherman under the cushions in the couch.

bexteck

Enlightened
Lost my leatherman original a few times in the couch, now I have upgraded to a Charge XTi. I can't say enough good things about the Charge; well made, not too heavy due to the titanium, blade steel upgraded to 154CM, even a tiny flathead and phillips watch screwdriver. It's also the most comfortable and easy to use leatherman I have ever used. The newer configuration with the blades on the outside makes opening the knife about 5 times faster, and you only need one hand to do it. I would definitely go with one of the leathermans that uses this blade configuration: (Wave, Blast, Charge Ti, Charge XTi)

mahoney

Enlightened
I used a SOG powerlock for a while. It was a solid tool, and it's not hard to swap around the blades to suit yourself or replace a worn-out blade. I didn't like the gear teeth digging into my palm when I used the screwdrivers though, so now I use a Swisstool. It's almost as good as my old Leatherman Supertool but the implements seem to bend a little easier on the Swisstool. So far I've been able to straighten them out OK. I have a Leatherman Core that I plan to try once I get a holster made for it. I'm not sure how the plastic handle liners will hold up.

Makarov

Enlightened
Kingfisher said:
Makarov, have you tried using the quick release lanyard ring attached to your belt? Save breaking those pocket clips. Just a thought.
Do you mean attaching it to the belt via a lanyard or maybe a karabiner? I haven't thought about that.

SJACKAL said:
Hmm, why don't you use a belt holster for the Charge Ti, Makarov, that way you won't break the clip.
I think the holster's to bulky and makes my shirt stick out.
And if I happen to be a place were they usually don't allow anything with a sharp point, I clip it IWB in the short of my back. (I never ever leave my Leatherman at home, I even EDC it when I'm in a suit)

Kingfisher

Enlightened
Makarov said:
Do you mean attaching it to the belt via a lanyard or maybe a karabiner? I haven't thought about that.

Yes, try a few things out - something short though as to prevent too much swinging around. Could be worth a try since you don't care for the sheath.

Screehopper, let us know which multi tool you decide on.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Makarov said:

I think the holster's to bulky and makes my shirt stick out.
And if I happen to be a place were they usually don't allow anything with a sharp point, I clip it IWB in the short of my back. (I never ever leave my Leatherman at home, I even EDC it when I'm in a suit)

If common nylon and leather holsters are too bulky, how about kydex?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
That picture is sweet - that's the BLACK version of the Charge. It's not just the lighting. NICE!!

Makarov

Enlightened
SJACKAL said:
If common nylon and leather holsters are too bulky, how about kydex?
Do you know any that makes these?

I've been looking into getting Kydex sheets here in Norway, but haven't had much luck yet.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
It's not the black KevinL, but thanks for the compliment anyway. It was taken on auto so the silver tin and tool were 'grayed' somewhat, shows up the detail nice I think.

Just to prove it, here he is with his friends :)

mt2.jpg

SJACKAL

Enlightened
If I remember correctly, our own CPF member Chrisse242 from Germany does custom Kydex, perhaps you might want to enquire with him?