.22 plinker pistol suggestions

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi - I'm looking for a .22 plinker pistol to, well, plink with. I'm looking for a semiauto, simple to use and maintain, relatively inexpensive - a beginner's pistol (but a keeper). I've been leaning toward a standard body Ruger semiauto with a bull barrel (5 or 6 inches).
I just went into a Gander Mountain store, and saw a lot wider selection of pistols than I was familiar with. Among them, Ruger 22/45 (I think that's the name) with a different polymer handle (supposed to handle/feel like a 1911-style .45 in the hand), some with the thin barrel, others with a 4-inch bull barrel. Also Browning, Beretta, and others I'm unfamiliar with.
Any suggestions, observations, pitfalls to avoid, etc., would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

cslinger

Enlightened
Your best bets are the umbiquitous Ruger Mark II, Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark. They can be had in very inexpensive variants, shoot very well, tend to be very reliable and are built to last. One is not better then the other they are just different so try both Rugers and the Buckmark.

I would suggest looking for a Ruger Mark II or 22/45 WITHOUT the loaded chamber indicator found on the new Mark IIIs and newer 22/45s. This indicator was poorly designed and on early models rested on the RIM of the RIMfire cartridge..........take a minute to digest that. :D

I would stay away from the Walther P22, and SIG Mosquito (God I hate to say that as I am a SIG guy) the Walther IMHO is a piece of crap not nearly up to the standards of their "real" pistols which I love. The Mosquito is much better then the P22 but is new and is in it's teething phase.

If it were me I would go out and find a Ruger Mark II standard or bull barrel and a comparable Browning Buckmark to see which one feels the best and buy that one. Both have their quirks as far as field stripping but neither is that bad once you do it once or twice.

Hope this helps a little. If you want any specific info on a particular model let me know and I will see what I know or can dig up about it as I have small, passing interest in firearms. :D

Chris

heathah

Newly Enlightened
I'll put another vote in for the Browning Buckmark line. Check them out here. My brother and I each have one of these and they shoot very well. I'd recommend one of the Bullseye versions.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to beat the Ruger on price or reliability. They've been making the .22 since just after WWII. Back in the 70s I recall reading a letter that Ruger made public. It was from the military of some western African nation. They were complementing Ruger on their .22s. Thet reported that they had bought a few and had been using them for years and years as part of their pistol training course. They wrote that one of them had been fired over 4,000,000 times and was still in use and even had all of it's original parts.

Makarov

Enlightened
Another wote for the Mark II. I've only dryfired the Mark III, but IMHO the new safety features sucked :(

I got a bullbarrel Mark II with Volquarsen trigger and rubbergrips. Great plinker, especially when I put on the supressor :D

I've shot 200-300 rounds with a Buckmark, and it's a nice gun as well. Apples and oranges in comparison to the Mark II I guess.

Another gun is the Beretta model 87 "target", looks nice, but not so many aftermarket parts. I've only shot 50-100 rounds through on of the guns at my gunclub, but from what I can tell it's a nice plinker.

WDR65

Enlightened
You might also want to take a look at the Sig Trailside line. These are probably the best feeling and pointing .22 I've ever handled. Don't own one yet though. I personally prefer the Browning's over the Ruger just because of the way the point for me and I have both at home.

lymph

Enlightened
I second the Sig Trailside recommendation. Not built as tough as the Rugers, but really nice to shoot.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the above.

I'd suggest the Ruger that comes with the Weaver style base and an inexpensive 30mm red dot. Tasco, BSA, etc have reddots in the $20-30 range. Not something I'd want to go to the Olympics with, but great fun.

Might as well get a 10/22 carbine to match. Mine has a red dot and laser. Super fun and a varmint getter.

Topper

Flashaholic*
The Ruger Mark II is the only one I have had I love it. I got the basic standard barrel and shot thousands of rounds when I was younger and single.
We would put a brick (500 rounds) through it almost every weekend and I do not ever recall having any trouble out of it. I have never even stripped it down for cleaning just oiled what I could see then wiped it off.
Topper

nirad

Enlightened
The Ruger Mark II is one of my most favorite guns that I have in my collection. I don't care as much for the newer ones with the loaded chamber indicator. If you get a Ruger, be sure to pick up plenty of extra magazines...so you can spend more time shooting than reloading.

Another good shooter, but hard to find is a Colt Woodsman. It has been some time since in has been manufactured. I have a coworker that picked one up at an estate auction for next to nothing. He always seems to find the good deals.

Good luck on what ever one you choose, and happy plinking!!!

dbedit

Newly Enlightened
I will cast my vote for the Ruger Mark II as well...Another option you might like is a 1911 model 45 with a 22 conversion kit great for plinking and practice then a bit more power to boot making the gun multi function.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned or shot pretty much every sub $500 quality .22 pistol at one point or another... Overall, the Mk II is probably what I would suggest. Some like the Walthers, some don't. I was never overly impressed with them (guess I'm just not into James Bond movies enough to 'get it') but I never experienced the abyssmal reliability some claim.

Several years ago, I got 22 conversions for both my 1911s and my CZs. When I sold my last full 5" CZ, I sold the conversion as well though I'd buy one again if they came out with one with a 4" barrel which is the length of the CZ PCR that I carry. Really the only 22 pistol I regularly shoot anymore is a Marvel conversion on a Colt Combat Commander frame that has had a trigger job. All told, I think I only have about $600 in it, but each part was bought as a very good deal. I've shot many of the European target pistols and the S&W 41 but honestly, I can't imagine a better quality 22 pistol for my own use than this guy.

DCP_2440a.jpg

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
There are plenty of quality options for .22 pistols out there. I have to agree, the Ruger is probably the most robust and has the higest ratio of price/quality out there. Go for one that comes with an integral optics rail.

I traded my Ruger 22/45 bull-barrel, (Basicaly a MkII with polymer grip/frame, and 1911 placed controls) for a S&W 22A. The S&W works for me personaly, the ergonomics are better for me, and it was one of the first .22 pistols to come with an integral optics rail which is now pretty common. However, while the quality on the S&W is adequate, the Ruger was "bullet-proof" in it's construction. That was one SOLID little gun.

XFlash

Enlightened
johns said:
Ruger if you looking for lower price and good quality.
S & W model 41 if you can afford more $$ :)

Can't go wrong with the Ruger.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words - -

2p.JPG

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Ruger .22. I grew up learning on a Mark II, bull barrel. Wonderfully accurate.

Only thing that bothers me about the new ones is the policatically correct "chamber loaded" indicators. HELLO? RIMFIRE? Having something sitting on the rim of a rimfire catridge that can be struck could potentially lead to a discharge.

That being said, I'd love a Ruger 22/45. :)

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a S&W 622 and it is a great plinker and pest management tool. It is rather light due to all the aluminum used so it has a bit more felt recoil but comes back to the aimpoint easily. The 45/22 conversions are handy but IMO are way too heavy for the 22 versions. Rugers have ruled the rimfire offerings since their debut, well designed and well made.

DaveT

Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions guys...I believe I'll narrow the search to the Ruger MkII and 22/45, with a bull barrel...now to the store to handle both and see what I like better.
Thanks
Dave

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, Academy Sporting Goods here had the 22/45, stainless with rail and extra mag in molded case for $199 a couple of weeks ago.