Hello All, I discovered this site only a few days ago and have since become intrigued by the world of torches (sorry Flashlights). I have been looking for a reasonably priced 'better than average' unit for some time and despite (or maybe beacause of) the literally 100's of threads read in the past few days I am favouring a rechargeable Maglite. I currently have a 3C, a few 2AA, some 2AAA and a Solitare Mag plus some Korean LED stuff and until this week thought them pretty OK - how I anticipate things changing !
Anyway back to my question, if I can get a reasonably priced rechargeable Maglight (some of the USA 'exotica hasn't reached UK shores at any sort of reasonable price), can some one advise:
1) Is it OK to leave on charge all the time (being NiCad and all) ?
2) What easy (beginner) mods can be done to enhance performance
I have (nearly) decided on this model because
1) I have seen some on ebay in my price range (approx $115 but obviously in GBP)
2) I like the size of my 3C Mag but just want something bigger !
3) I want good throw (I hope that is the terminology) for lighting up trees etc in the distance when camping
4) Less interested in beam width or using it for close work. Mostly about spotting wildlife and impressing the kids :-)
5) Needs to work for >hour ish
I am a bit worried that using rechargeables will mean that unless I am very careful when I pick it up it just wont work (battery flat) - maybe a 4D Mag plus rechargeable and a charger is better ? (if I can afford it)
Any advice much appreciated, I think I have read most threads searchable on this site regarding this unit but remain a bit confused.
Great site - hoping for some advice, first post so be gentle :-) - I can see this flashlight thing may get obsessive, what have I done ?????