Energizer 4AA folding LED light DISCONTINUED

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of us like this little light so when I was searching around for a good price on them and found a number of sites that had them listed but labeled "discontinued" I wrote Energizer. They sent me an email confirming that they are in fact discontinued. :awman:

The most recent positive review on CPF that I remember was from someone using them in the aftermath of one of the Hurricanes. It's really a shame that they've decided to drop a light for which there is no real replacement. :ohgeez: :mecry:

Just thought you guys should have a heads-up about this.
-LT

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no lanterns, to my knowledge, that compare. This is about the size of a short, fat pack of cigarettes with 2 levels of light and only 2 LEDs shooting through white tubes giving the effect of CCFL.

The specs say: run time on the 4AA power source-200 hours (low setting) or 100 hours (high setting).

-LT

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these and replaced the LEDs with nichia CS LEDs and it's awesome! Much brighter and very useful. Would make a great emergency light with lithiums.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
I saw those a couple times in the store (think it was Walmart). I had no idea that was a great light.

I'll have to go by Walmart and pray they still have 1 or 2.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks. I have one that I use around the house every night on low for navigation without disturbing anyone. I found that they are very convenient around the house. You can set them down as shown in the picture or tuck the battery compartment over your waist band with the light hangin out. Maybe I'll check my local Walmart to see if they still have them.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have two of them in my room, one hangs above my monitor on a string the other by my bed. I have another 2 still new in the package minus the heavy duty batteries I used up long ago that I am going to keep for camping trips, I would have 10 more of them had I not been broke at the time as BigLots had over 100 of them in Tulsa for over 6 months and I kept sending people them that couldn't get them and giving them as presents to family/friends when we lost power here.

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
Lunal_Tic said:
A lot of us like this little light so when I was searching around for a good price on them and found a number of sites that had them listed but labeled "discontinued" I wrote Energizer. They sent me an email confirming that they are in fact discontinued.

I been searching for these but non of the local stores carry them. I found a couple places online but the shipping is more then the light.

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
Check your local Office Depot. I bought 2 there @ 3.88/ea and wish I'd bought more.

The 3 Office Depot's in my area have none left but in your area there may some left.

Good Luck

Zigzago

Enlightened
I was looking for these at Office Depot last month and there were none to be found in my area. I have one and was looking for a second. To bad - it is a very good design.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow said:
Osram makes similar ones, but using a real tube
Can't imagine that it'd would run 100+ hours though. Not as rugged either. :)

I just picked up some from here but I had to buy 7 to get rid of the "handling charge" and to get the $8 price. It might be something on which some enterprising soul would want to do a group buy.

-LT

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have these and have done the Nichia upgrade on one, and used green 15mcd led upgrade on the other. It is nearly impossible to kill 4 alk cells in these lights.

IIRC, the current draw is around 25ma per led. So well over 100 hours runtime is a certainty.

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
Lunal_Tic said:
I just picked up some from here but I had to buy 7 to get rid of the "handling charge" and to get the $8 price.

I just did the same thing. They showed up today. Thanks for the link. My came to $ 9-10 after shipping. I'll have to see if any friends are interested in them, I don't need 7 of them.

I notice my works different then the ads. On dim both tubes go dim. On hight both get bright. Ads mention that 1 or 2 tubes are lite depending on the switch. Not sure which is best but I guess this way one LED won't be used all the time.

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn said:
I have these and have done the Nichia upgrade on one, and used green 15mcd led upgrade on the other. It is nearly impossible to kill 4 alk cells in these lights.IIRC, the current draw is around 25ma per led. So well over 100 hours runtime is a certainty.

I'm interested in this mod. I waiting on some LED's from the Nichia NSPW500Cs group buy. Are these the ones you used? This will be my first mod. Why did you use a green led in one tube?

Makarov

Enlightened
GeoScouter said:
I notice my works different then the ads. On dim both tubes go dim. On hight both get bright. Ads mention that 1 or 2 tubes are lite depending on the switch. Not sure which is best but I guess this way one LED won't be used all the time.
The newer version runs both LED's in both HI and LO.

I got 2 of these lanterns from Lynx, and I got the Nichia's, but haven't had the time to try to mod mine yet.

Hi Lynx BTW :wave:

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
I been playing with this light since I got it today. I really like it! The ways you can use mount it are really cool. Hang it from your tent with the hook, set it up as a upside "V" for a table light, lay it on a shelf and let the end hang over, use it as a mini reading lantern in the upside "L" shape. And close it up and use it as a hand light.

I had to order 7 of them to avoid the handing charge. I had planned on keeping 2 of them and let some friends take the rest off my hands. But now I have to keep 4 of them. Too handy of a light to let them go. Especially since they are discountinued. I can't believe Energizer discountinued such a handy light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The last place I saw these was Big Lots, but that was a few months back. It is a wonder why Energizer would discontinue these and the Accent Lanterns.

Geoff

wwglen

Enlightened
If you have the ones that only light up one LED on low you can modify it by soldering a wire across the legs of the resistor on the LED side.

I don't have a picture but something like this.

Battery----LOW SWITCH----RESISTOR--|--LED
Battery----HIGH SWITCH----RESISTOR--|--LED

---------------------------------------^ Soldered connection

This will split the current across both resistors.

It will be brighter on LOW dur to the LEDs being more efficient on low. It will also extend the life of the LED by reducing the current flow through the LED on LOW.

wwglen