1.125" DIAMETER 2HOUR TORCH??

jawnn

Enlightened
I NEED A ONE AND ONE EIGHTH INCH DIAMETER TORCH THAT WILL LAST AT LEAST 2 HOURS ON HIGH BEAM. IT NEEDS TO BE BRIGHT FOR CYCLING.

HOPEFULLY UNDER ONE HUNDRED BUCKS.

WHAT IS THE DIAMETER OF THIS ONE: EagleTac SX25A6 XM-L LED Flashlight?

OR THIS ONE? EagleTac GX25A3 LED Flashlight??

WHAT KIND OF BATTERYS DO THESE USE? MAYBE 6 AA CELLS?

SMALL DIAMETER WOULD DO IF AT LEAST 850 LUMINS AND TWO 18650 CELLS.

DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BRAND NAME AS LONG AS IT IS A GOOD LIGHT.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I NEED A ONE AND ONE EIGHTH INCH DIAMETER TORCH THAT WILL LAST AT LEAST 2 HOURS ON HIGH BEAM. IT NEEDS TO BE BRIGHT FOR CYCLING.

HOPEFULLY UNDER ONE HUNDRED BUCKS.

WHAT IS THE DIAMETER OF THIS ONE: EagleTac SX25A6 XM-L LED Flashlight?

OR THIS ONE? EagleTac GX25A3 LED Flashlight??

WHAT KIND OF BATTERYS DO THESE USE? MAYBE 6 AA CELLS?

SMALL DIAMETER WOULD DO IF AT LEAST 850 LUMINS AND TWO 18650 CELLS.

DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BRAND NAME AS LONG AS IT IS A GOOD LIGHT.

What about a light, for example, that was 2 hours on say medium, but medium was say 850 lumens?

What about the throw?

Is there a distance you want to see ahead of you?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Go for the malkoff md2. You won't beat it in your budget.

This is the wrong diameter and puts out no where near the lumens he's looking for at the run time he's looking for....?

I have them, they're great EDC lights, but, completely not what he's looking for, at all.

:D

jlucke69

Newly Enlightened
For your needs on the bike, might look at the new Fenix bike lights. They have one with dual lights 1200lm (spot and flood) that runs on 18650s. Basically a LD50 with a bike mount. It is not the 1.125 diameter you asked for, but it comes with it's own handlebar mount.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Both Eagle Tac's are 1.4" diameter. 1.125" diameter is likely going to be difficult to find. Most of the 18650 lights I've seen are 1" - 1.05" diameter, any larger & they're just adding extra weight to the light.

I'd also say try Fenix:
BT20 - it's only 750 lumens but has wide flood & 156m max illumination range and custom beam profile to help reduce the chance at blinding on-coming cyclists, which you won't find in a clamped flashlight.
BC30 - This is the 1,200 lumen monster mentioned above which also has a 1,800 lumen burst mode, same custom beam profile, & 170m max illumination range.

You can find reviews of both lights here in the forums & both can be found at or just below $100.

Personally, I'd go with the BC30, mostly because batteries are onboard, & I could use it as a hand-held flashlight when not biking, whereas the BT20 has a remote battery pack & not easily hand-held.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't think that you can get a real 850 lumens for two hours from even the best single 18650 battery, and a two cell light that is side-by-side will be larger in diameter than your stated 1.125 inches. IMO a two cell in series, front-to-back, is too long for a handlebar light. Therefore IMO you will need to change batteries within the two hour period, unless you are willing to compromise.

For example the Thrunite TN12 2014 edition is stated to do 800 lumens for 1.5 hours. It has a 1 inch body, but you can wrap it in electrical tape with a few wraps to build it out to your requested 1 1/8 inch diameter. I suppose that requirement is for your holder. A piece of rubber tubing from a tire might work well.

jawnn

Enlightened
oh sure my needs are flexible. actually the best light i have seen so far is the 'ixon IQ' but I was thinking about using the torch for hand use as well.​

What about a light, for example, that was 2 hours on say medium, but medium was say 850 lumens?

What about the throw?

Is there a distance you want to see ahead of you?

chaosdsm

Enlightened
actually the best light i have seen so far is the 'ixon IQ' but I was thinking about using the torch for hand use as well.

Ixon IQ? Really? Couple things to consider, the basic Ixon IQ is around or a little over $100 but only 40lux, the "premium" version @80lux falls well short of your stated 850 lumens, & has a bit stiffer price tag. As far as I can tell from reviews, it also has a plastic body & lens (plastic is an insulator), no o-ring to protect the battery chamber from moisture, & no water resistance rating that I can find. The basic IQ also has a narrow front beam without much side spill, while the Premium's beam is much more like the Fenix BC30 mentioned previously with good side to side coverage as well as good distance. Here's a nice beam-shot video of both the IQ & IQ Premium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwM7vDvvGhU

The Fenix BC30 has an all aluminum body for better heat dissipation, as well as a water resistance rating of IPX-6 which means; if you get caught in a sudden thunderstorm, no worries about water intrusion. In high mode @ 500 lumens, it's rated for 5 hours runtime & gives about the same illumination as the IQ Premium. Here's a decent video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxvXgJOaMbE though at the end of the video during the riding shots, it appears that the light in this review is tilted to far towards the ground with the close up illumination hitting the fender just above the top of the tire instead of hitting the road a meter in front of the tire & not giving very good long range illumination

Personally, I think the Fenix has a better shape for hand-held usage, but the Ixon's have quick release mounts so they can easily be used as a hand-held as well. Both have beam profiles designed for cycling, so either one would be a good buy for an area without frequent unexpected rainfall. But if you live in an area like me where you still get rain even when the forecast says 0% chance... ya might want to lean more towards the Fenix.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's always the Foursevens MMU-X. It's roughly 1.125 inches in diameter, and puts out around 850 (or so) lumens. Get a 5200mAH Keeppower 26650 for it, and you have well over 2.5 hours of high output from his light. The only drawback? You can get it with any emitter you want, as long as it's cool white.

jawnn

Enlightened
i DON'T REALLY KNOW HOW FAR AHEAD I WANT TO SEE, I AM NOT TRAVELING AT MUCH SPEED. AND I HAVE A COUPLE LIGHTS THAT ARE NOT GREAT. Even my Sunwayman D40A is not so good for cycling, but it is a fantastic hand torch.

I really like the shaped beams of the Ixon lamps....but now i am thinking about a motorcycle head lamp. I know most of them would be shaped to keep the beam out of the on coming traffic's eyes.

I will need referral on that. better go to the right section...

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Is any of the Fenix (or anything like it) good for keeping the beams out of the opposite direction lane's driver eyes?

The two I mentioned previously are both bicycle lights, just like the Ixon IQ
Fenix BT-20 bike light
Fenix BC-30 bike light

Both the BT20 & BC30 use the same beam profile as shown below
i-gNHSZcB-M.jpg

but to keep out of opposing lane eyes, the lights have to be properly setup on the bike. Angled up to much and you're in their eyes, angled down to much & you don't get the full viewing distance.

Last edited:

jawnn

Enlightened
Well the Fenix BC 30 looks good .. they sure have improved bicycle lights in the past five years.

And there is no way to compare this kind of light with them, so people just buy the expensive lights. even if that is much cheaper than five years ago.

Last edited:

jawnn

Enlightened
Does the Ixon have the same problem with positioning? is it water proof also?

can any one recognize this torch? (rigged with an external wire to battery pack)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_meVnVkW1FWg/ScJ_FOMzUXI/AAAAAAAAACs/2qk6d2jQaIE/s200/light+holder.jpg

Amazing how much bicycle lamps have improved in the last five years.

but to keep out of opposing lane eyes, the lights have to be properly setup on the bike. Angled up to much and you're in their eyes, angled down to much & you don't get the full viewing distance.

Last edited:

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Any add-on bicycle light is going to need an initial adjustment to minimize glare to oncoming traffic.

As for Ixon waterproof? I previously touched on that... if there's any water resistance rating for the IQ lights, I'm not finding it. I'm certain they have at least average water resistance in rainy conditions. But the battery compartment does not have a rubber seal around it, so it's most likely not going to fare so well if you're using it hand-held & drop it in a puddle of water.

If you haven't already, check out this review of the Ixon IQ Premium http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mp-Muller-Ixon-IQ-Premium-Warning-Photo-Heavy

And this review of the Fenix BC30 http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Light-Review-Dual-distance-beam-Twin-XM-L2-T6