1-6xAA Flashlight under $45

lumenjunkie00

Newly Enlightened
1-6AA Flashlight
Under $45
Around 300 Lumens
LONG RUNTIME
Tailstand

Looking for an emergency light. Long run times, not ridiculously bright but good modes to adapt from inside to outside. $45 is the max budget. Any 200 lumen runtimes over 8+ hours?

Poppy

Flashaholic
In this power outage thread, it seems that MOST people are comfortable during a power outage with about 100 lumens ceiling bounced. Certainly there are many who require less, and some more, but it is pretty safe to say that in any group of four people there will be one that will prefer at least 100 lumens.

I just picked up the $30 Ozark Trail 6-AA light at Walmart. 500 high, 100 low. It is probably not regulated, so the lumen level will diminish as the batteries drain. I haven't had a chance to put in a set of duraloops and give it a run test yet, other than to see that it will run on three batteries, or six. It holds two sets (of three in series) in parallel. They list it as a 38 hour run-time, but I don't know how many of those hours will be at 30 lumens or less.

It's a big light, and relatively heavy, but it MAY work well for an emergency light that runs AA batteries. It can tail stand.

Here's a comparison of the Ozark trail, 6AA to the Coleman 6AA

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
If you look at purely emergency light, i'd go for a good single or dual AA light with the best possible runtime on a 100-ish lumen mode, and get two of them.

a good watertight battery holder for 4 batteries is also a must if you plan to rely on it for emergencies. For their excellent shelf life and operation during extreme cold, you should also consider storing a set of 4 lithium primary AAs.

Poppy

Flashaholic
If you look at purely emergency light, i'd go for a good single or dual AA light with the best possible runtime on a 100-ish lumen mode, and get two of them.

a good watertight battery holder for 4 batteries is also a must if you plan to rely on it for emergencies. For their excellent shelf life and operation during extreme cold, you should also consider storing a set of 4 lithium primary AAs.

I think that a single AA cell will deliver about 100 lumens for about 90 minutes, and that 2 or 3 cell lights are more efficient, so you might expect a little more out of each cell. So a 6 cell regulated light should deliver about 10 hours @ 100 lumens. Unregulated lights get dimmer, but last longer. I guess regulated lights are better if you have a means to recharge batteries during the emergency.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
1-6AA Flashlight
Under $45
Around 300 Lumens
LONG RUNTIME
Tailstand

Looking for an emergency light. Long run times, not ridiculously bright but good modes to adapt from inside to outside. $45 is the max budget. Any 200 lumen runtimes over 8+ hours?

It depends on what you mean by 8 hours and 200 L

IE: There are lights RATED at that, but they typically mean they are at ~ 200 L for the first 30 seconds or so, and then dim as the cells drain....down to say 20 L.....and that the hours of run time are down to the 10% brightness....not to the "less than 200 L brightness", etc.