1000 mAh AAA + Energizer 15 Minute Charger

SilverFox

Silver Moderator
Hello Pd54,

I have been very impressed with the quality of the AccuPower cells. On the other hand, I have had mixed luck with Energizer cells.

Looks like it is coming down to a coin toss...

Tom

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since neither I or Silverfox have tested the Energizers, I cannot say much about their performance, but some of their AA batteries have been less than stellar when it comes to voltage under load.
What will you use the batteries for? I have some really poor IPowerUS batteries that is only half the claimed capacity, I would never use them in any lights or any device where I need max runtime, but they works very well in my wireless mouse, so often the cheaper alternative will work out ok. However, if you need max runtime then I would pay the extra for the AccuPowers.

Sigbjoern

pd54

Newly Enlightened
Well right now I have 4 of the Energizers...3 go into my Element Luxeon flashlight. Then I have an mp3 player which takes 1, and a Peak Matterhorn 3 LED Ultra, which also takes 1. I had an Energizer Lithium in the Matterhorn, but it's very dim now, and at their price ($2+ per battery), I'd rather go with NiMH.

When I was looking at the Accupowers, I was thinking of getting a pack of 2...1 would go in the mp3 player, and 1 in the Matterhorn. The extra Energizer would be a spare when one of the Accupowers ran out (and didn't have time to recharge).

Hans

Enlightened
I use AAA cells extensively, for instance in my UK 2AAA eLED, my MP3-player and my old Palm IIIxe. So I always carry at least 4 spare NiMH cells in addition to the ones in my devices. Most of my AAA cells are Vartas, but the ones I like best are the Sanyo cells. I've got 4 Sanyo 800 cells, and they're very consistent in their preformance. Slightly below claimed capacity, but still better than anything else I've used so far. When my Varta 750's reach the end of their useful life, I intend to replace them with Sanyos.

Hans

illumiGeek

Enlightened
SilverFox said:
Hello PD,

Welcome to CPF.

That charger should have no problems with the 1000 mAh AAA's. Not sure where you get them.

I have charged over 25 brands of cells with the Energizer 15 minute charger. No problems so far...

Tom
Really? That hasn't been my experience. I tried a few other brands and got a blinking red LED on the 15-minute charger (which I assumed was a warning so I pulled the batteries and have just been using it for my Energizer cells).

SilverFox

Silver Moderator
Hello IllumiGeek,

This is interesting... Could you offer more information?

Most of the cells listed in the NiMh Battery Shoot Out have had no problems charging on the Energizer 15 minute charger.

I have run into two conditions where I got a flashing red light. If the cell has developed a high internal resistance, it will not charge, and if the cell has been charged, then left to cool off for an hour or so, then put back on the charger, it will not charge.

Other than that, I have had nothing but success with this charger.

Tom

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Hmmm... I'll give it another try then.

When I first got the 15-minute charger I tried GP, Digipower and some generic no-name NiMh cells and all got the blinking red LED. Then I tried 2200 & 2500mA Energizers and they worked, so I figured it only worked with Energizer brand cells.

When I had tried it before the cells weren't fully drained, but they also were not fully charged. I just drained a set of my GP cells in one of my lights until the light was almost out. They're on the 15M charger now.

Will let you know what happens in 15 minutes...

EDIT: Been a few minutes and it looks like they are charging. Getting very warm, though...

Last edited:

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Okay, the GP cells charged. Got almost too hot to touch during the charging process, but they charged. Ran down 2 sets of 4 and charged both up. Other than getting a bit warmer than I like it seems to work if the cells are almost flat going in to the charger.

I'll give the Digipower cells another go now...

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Okay, no go on the Digipower cells. Even when nearly fully drained they still won't work on the Energizer 15M charger.

Trying the generic cells now...

EDIT: Mixed result on the generic cells. Put 4 on the charger and got the blinking red LED. Tried each cell individually and found that 2 worked, but the other 2 wouldn't.

The generic cells are older 1300mA "greenies" that work fine in my 4 hour fast charger. The Digipowers are 2300mA cells, and also work fine in the 4 hour charger. Neither one seems compatible with the 15M charger.

The GP cells are 2000mA, and they seem to work if pretty flat, but the first time I tried them I had tried to top them off from a partially drained state and it blinked. Guess I'll have to experiment bit more with these.

My Energizer 2200/2500 cells seem to work regardless of their charge state. Wish I could find some more of the Energizer AAA cells. No one locally seems to have them, and considering the luck I've had with non-bunny brand cells I'm reluctant to try others.

Oh well... there's always my Rayovac IC3 system. Those cells are readily available (even in AAA size) and although it's proprietary, it works very well.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Silver Moderator
Hello IllumiGeek,

Thanks for checking on that.

I had a set (8) of Energizer 2300 cells that would not charge on the 15 minute charger at all. I tried them several different times at various levels of discharge. I posted the test results of these cells in the NiMh Battery Shoot Out and was made aware that my results seemed low. Brody sent me some of his to check out and his Energizer 2300 cells tested out much better than mine. His would charge fine in the 15 minute charger as well. I ended up throwing out those 8 cells realizing that they were showing higher internal resistance.

The only other problem I have had is with some NiCd cells that are about 10 years old. They are used in a solar lawn light and I am surprised they still work at all.

In both cases, the cells could be charged in other chargers.

I have come to the opinion that if a cell won't charge in the 15 minute charger, it may not be in the best condition.

Tom

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Yea, it's probably an IR problem. Most AA cells I have I use for non-high drain stuff like portable music player, LED lights, camera, cordless keyboard/mouse, screw driver etc. All the batteries I have work fine for those things (up to around 2A).

For my higher drain lights (4A+) I use the Rayovac IC3 cells and they work great. The Energizer 2500 cells look promising too as they seem to be surprisingly good for currents in the 4-5A range. Gonna have to experiment a bit more with those.

Latest posts