123 Lithium battery tester? And todo when they die

silveredge007

Newly Enlightened
Over the past couple of years I gone throught a few flashlights with differant bodys and so forth. Any way, I have a few dozen "used" batterys in old Surefire boxes. My question is is there a good little battery tester out there for 123's? I'd like to see what ones are really dead ones and which one were used maybe 20% let's say were used in a 3-cell body then put aside.

Also what is the proper way to dispose of the really dead ones?

If this suject is beating a dead horse please provide me a link.

Thanks in advance!
Scott /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 123 Lithium battery tester? And todo when they

Silveredge, you can probably get a cheap multimeter or even a digital one (more accuracy) to check the remaining juice in your batts. I bought one a few months back over here in M'sia for about $10 i believe. You should be able to find a basic unit for about the same price if not cheaper I believe. I check not only my 123s, but all my other AAs, AAAs, etc.. Trust me, its worth the money...

As for battery disposal, I am not sure if your local council might have some sort of battery collection/recycling program, else I would think that the battery manufacturers would have some sort of program to collect used batteries... Sorry, can't help you out much there...

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened

I am shocked that the recyling of batteries isn't any better promoted/advertised in CA than here in NC. My most convienent option is to drop them at a local "batteries plus" store. There WILL be county dumps to accept them for you.

As for the battery testers: the cheapest are at Walmart; try Sear's(do y'all have Sear's? do y'all say "y'all" over there?); then Radio Shack.

Geologist

Enlightened

I have a multimeter - can you describe the proper way to test various batteries with it?

silveredge007

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replies!

Since I've never used a multimeter I would also like to know how to test batteries with one.

unclearty

Enlightened

I agree...I'd like to know as well. Unfortunately testing a battery with a multi-meter will only tell you "no load" voltage. The little testers you can buy at Rat Shack, have a small resisiter in them to simulate a small load across the battery. Surely one of the elctrical wizards here could tell us how to make a simple 123 tester.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened

Ahhhh. . . I didn't think about the batteries appearing stronger unless tested under a load. If I can find a fuse for my cheapie Sear's tester I'll try to compare some readings with my multi meter, just for s***ts and giggles. We'll see just how misleading the readings can be.

As far as "how to" test with a multi meter: just set the range on the voltage dial to the lowest setting that you know you won't exceed. Mine has setting for 2 volts and 20, and 200 and 400, ect. You get a more accurate reading with the lowest range, so I won't test my 1.5v AA batt in the 200 volt range. But, I also can't test my rechargeable 4.2 volt li-on cr123a batteries using the 2 volt range because they could likely be over 2 volts. Easy enough? Then, touch the meter's red probe to the positive tip of the battery and the black to the negative and listen for the harps of enlightenment strumming as you read the voltage of your batteries!

Really, there's nothing complicated to it unless you need more info than just voltage.

silveredge007

Newly Enlightened

HaulinLow,
Thanks for the tutorial!

Looking forward to hearing those "harps of enlightenment" being strummed (do they know any Zepplin?)

I guess I'll have to wait a few days to get over to Sears or the Electronics store.

Take care,
Scott

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
silveredge007 said:

I guess I'll have to wait a few days to get over to Sears or the Electronics store.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not make it the electronics store and pick up a two or three ohm resistor to test it with at the same time? Put it in parallel for a second or two and look for the voltage to stay above say 2 Volts. While you'd need a couple of Watts worth for long tests, half or one Watt should be fine for a few seconds.

Doug Owen

Geologist

Enlightened

OK, maybe I was not clear about my initial request. Does anyone know what the proper resistance values to use to test typical batteries AND what would good/medium/replace voltage values be? For example, to test a AA alkaline battery one would normally use a XX Ohm resistor. If voltage is above XX.XX it is in good shape. X.XX volts mean it is in OK shape. Under X.X volts - time to replace. It would be neat if we could comply such a list to test a range of batteries - sort of a DIY "smart" battery tester (smart because its not one resistance value fits all). Now since my last circuits class was well over 15 years ago, where to begin?

silveredge007

Newly Enlightened

Thanks again for all the great input. Keep the ideas and technics coming! I figure the more information the better!

Thanks,
Scott

Geologist

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Geologist said:
OK, maybe I was not clear about my initial request. Does anyone know what the proper resistance values to use to test typical batteries AND what would good/medium/replace voltage values be? For example, to test a AA alkaline battery one would normally use a XX Ohm resistor. If voltage is above XX.XX it is in good shape. X.XX volts mean it is in OK shape. Under X.X volts - time to replace. It would be neat if we could comply such a list to test a range of batteries - sort of a DIY "smart" battery tester (smart because its not one resistance value fits all). Now since my last circuits class was well over 15 years ago, where to begin?

[/ QUOTE ]

BUMP for input from the experts

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Geologist said:

[/ QUOTE ]

To the best of my knowledge, none of the makers has specified loaded voltmeter values for 123 Li cells. Energizer's Point of Sale tester uses 10 ohms for all 1.5 Volt cells (AAA through D) for "General Use" and one ohm for "motor drive and photoflash", looking for a minimum 1.1 Volts (under load) for a good rating. 9 Volters use 250 and 15 ohms, looking for 6.6 or more, lantern batteries use 5 ohms and a 4.4 Volt cut off.

They also have a set of loads for button cells, not really the topic here.

Doug Owen

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Doug Owen is on the right track here. If you look at the 123 performance plots in this forum section by Silverfox, you can reasonably assume that a 123 is pretty much dead if it cannot hold 2 volts at 1 amp draw current.

Working backwards, a 2 ohm resistor across the terminals of a 123 that is near its end will pull around 1 amp and drop to nearly 2 volts. If it can maintain 2.2 + volts, then it is likely still good.

I suggest that you do not run the test for very long as a fully fresh 123 will be at 3 ish volts and be pumping out 1.5 amps - and start getting real toasty.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a few battery testers that will measure lithiums under load, but at least one of them is really set up for button cells. 123's are not going to read as accurately on that one. However, I do have one that has a 3 volt lithium photo battery setting that seems to do the trick. It's a meter that's no longer being made (believe me, I've tried to find another one or two). The other battery testers only get me in the ballpark.

Contacteast.com sells an XTS battery meter that will check 123's, but IIRC it's about $60-65 USD.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

For $30, the same vendor sells the ZTS Mini Multi-Battery Tester, which, like its big brother, can test 123 cells:

MBT-1 Multi Battery Tester - For:

1. 1.2V NiMH
2. NiCd rechargeable (AAA,AA, C,D)
3. 1.5V "76" series button (S76, A76, A625, A640)
4. 3V Li coin (CR2016, CR2025, CR2032, 58L, 1/3N)
5. 6V "28" series (28A, S28, 28L)
6. 3V photo lithium (CR123, CR2, CRV3)
7. 1.5V alkaline (AAA, AA, C, D, N)
8. 6V photo lithium (2CR5, CR223, CR-P2)
9. 9V alkaline zinc-carbon
10. Dimensions: 7.5 x 4 x 1.5"

Mini-MBT Mini MBT Multi Battery Tester - For:

1. 1.2V NiMH
2. NiCd rechargeable (AAA, AA, C, D)
3. 1.5V alkaline (AAA, AA, C, D, N)
4. 3V photo lithium (CR123, CR2, CRV3)
5. 9V alkaline, zinc-carbon
6. Dimensions: 4 x 2.5 x 0.75"

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened

I was fooling around with some dying batteries and my Arc-LSH-P. A couple surefires on my multimeter read in at 2.85v and a duracell ultra read 2.5v. When I tried them in my ARC, the duracell was bright, the surefires started much dimmer and quickly faded. Just an observation.
Imgadgetman